01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How to use Tower conduit to HIK junction box

Minime46

Hi all

What size tower conduit do I need or what connector do I need to join it to a HIK junction box please?

Do most of you use conduit to hide external cables on residential and commercial installs or only at low levels and not too worried about the higher level cameras?

I'm trying to work out what is expected for an average install and taking into account cost, time and ease/speed... but with also being professional?

I know some installers who use no conduit on residential.... even at low level.

Any advice and thoughts, I'm really interested to hear.

Cheers

It is very important to weatherproof your connections into your cameras.
Water ingress due to poor installation is the biggest cause of failure of Hikvision cameras.

It is up to you whether you wish to use conduit or not.
Typically it is only used where protection against interference or vandalism is required, so, yes, at lower levels or where people might be able to access the cables.

The hole thread into the Hikvision cameras and junction boxes is actually 3/4" BSP.
Unfortunately, this is NOT a standard used for cable glands (no idea why they persist with it).
You'll need to visit an electrical wholesaler to find a range of accessories that you can screw into that thread and form a seal - if I recall correctly metric M20 glands and conduit adapters work OK.

I thought I'd chip in on this subject as I have spent a lot of time researching my CCTV install by looking at other peoples houses.

It made me come to the conclusion that unless you have good cable management you may as well not have CCTV.
The amount of cables I could see dangling down the side of a house or going down the wall right down to ground level without any sort of protection alarmed me! Anyone could just snip those wires and boom, your CCTV is disabled.

For any wiring that goes down to ground level I would definitely put it in conduit.
Anywhere that it is unreachable (I'm talking atleast the height of a grown adult and someone standing on their shoulders) then its harder to tamper with and straight on the wall is adequate.

Install brass 25-20mm reducer bush on the Hik backbox, couple this directly to 20mm plastic conduit using a male adaptor or alternatively via a short link of adaptaflex/kopex

Back