01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

How well do Hikvision's NVR models perform 7604NI-K1(B) vs 7608NI-K2-8P vs 7608NI-I2-8P?

dalydesign

Hi folks,

I currently have the 7604NI-K1(B) and it feels like the software is often buggy, likewise playback can be hit or miss on my 8mp & 6mp cameras (3 of them). it’s ok if I set the quality quite low (I have to set them with a max 3072 bitrate, and low quality video) in order for them to play, If I increase the bitrate or video quality to high, the NVR refuses to playback via the Hik-Connect app , (yet the specs of the NVR suggests it can handle 10mbps per channel) likewise the Mac web browser refuses to display any picture (it gets to about 96% and then Playback fails) . I also think that using the NVR to supply the power to the cameras via POE Might also be putting strain on the NVR

My thoughts are that the 7604NI-K1(B) was designed for lower res cameras and that I should sell it and upgrade for a better NVR. So apart from the additional ports ( not needed as I only have 3 cams), is there any benefit to upgrading the NVR to the 7608NI-K2-8P vs 7608NI-I2-8P? Likewisewhats your thoughts in each of these boxes. I feel like the 76NI-K1(B) just cannot cope with the bandwidth of 2 x 6mp and 1 x 8mp cameras.

Please enlighten me as I don’t mind upgrading if the bigger NVR’s are far superior.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Last edited:
Hikvision PTZ cameras
I’m in the same boat, mine struggles with 1 8mp and 1 6mp.

Would be good to hear the opinion of others.

I also wonder if the h.265+ codec is using too much cpu for video compression, but I assumed the camera’s hardware did the compression. And the Hik-Connect app did the decompression? Likewise the bandwidth can’t be an issue if it’s recorded in h.265+ as each camera is saving the file with less than 5mb/s.

It'll be interesting to see what other users who have lived with each system has experienced and what they they think about each NVR

I have a 7708NI-I4 it has limitations on how many cameras can be played back at 8mp at once as stated in the product literature, I have it running two 2mp ANPR’s and six 2385 8mp cameras and it’s as good as gold. Bit slow at times when I’m searching Reg plates from a few months back but apart from that I’m really happy, so much I’m going to upgrade to a 7716NI-I so I can add more camera’s

The additional cost of an I-series is small compared to the total cost of the system, and the I-series is just so much better. I would definitely spend the money on an I-series if you can.

i do understand that the higher spec series would be better. But what’s so good about the I series? is it because its more faster? Powerful? better features?

i can see that it handles more bandwidth, but with h.265+, surely the bandwidth should not be an issue if I have a k series? I see that the I series has gigabit Ethernet, but when streaming remotely, it’s streaming a 4K camera at only a few MB/s, so once again the additional Ethernet speed would only be beneficial if you had 16 or so cameras connected.

it’s a shame there’s not a blog article comparing the various NVRs and offer us plenty of feedback to compare them.

this is the best article I could find...

i do understand that the higher spec series would be better. But what’s so good about the I series? is it because its more faster? Powerful? better features?

i can see that it handles more bandwidth, but with h.265+, surely the bandwidth should not be an issue if I have a k series? I see that the I series has gigabit Ethernet, but when streaming remotely, it’s streaming a 4K camera at only a few MB/s, so once again the additional Ethernet speed would only be beneficial if you had 16 or so cameras connected.

it’s a shame there’s not a blog article comparing the various NVRs and offer us plenty of feedback to compare them.

this is the best article I could find...

Benefits of I series over k series
- V4 firmware
- The "auto logout - never" function in the local GUI works (doesn't on K series)
- Up to 12MP camera
- Preview thumbnails during playback regardless of camera resolution
- Support for quickly filtering for human detection during smart playback (if you use Acusense cameras)

Have to say I'm not a fan of H265+. I've witnessed some very strange compression artefacts, ghost images etc that were unacceptable. A few years ago I was reluctant to use H265 rather than H264 when it became available. I've had numerous recorders over the years - 7608NI-SE/P, 7608NI-E2/P, 7608NI-K2/P and now the 7616NI-I2/P. The I series is the best so far.

Thanks for that info.

Dan (mod) just mentioned that some AcuSense functions are not supported by the K-series NVRs so you'd need to log into the camera in order to be able to edit them. Whereas the I series NVR supports these.

Example: I cannot edit the max/min size boxes for intrustion detection via a K series NVR, instead I have to log into the camera directly to set it up.

mines a 7608NI-K1(B
you guys are definitely using your systems wrong because i have 1 8mp and 7 5mp's connected and they all work just fine
the k1 can decode up to 1 at up to 8mp res. and up to 4 @ 1080p res for live view. i run the live view with all sub streams and single view full stream.
play back is pretty much single maybe 2 or 3 of the 5mp's cams. if you want to view more i use the ivms 4200 client. and playback is all at full main stream

sub stream should be auto your default for when you add and connect hikconnect as basic and hd are the only you get thats full stream and sub stream max setting on nvr is VGA pretty much like your main 7+1 view deal.
20200718_212226.jpg

Inked20200718_212335_LI.jpg

your sub streams are for remote viewing your main streams are for recording and every event. main stream max bit rate might be same or higher then event cant be higher as main its just still going to record the max of the main stream so cant do 4500/8000 but you can do 8000/4400
i just reflashed back to 109, 112 was slow, i forgot what was wrong with the 110 ver i think i got only bells on the snapshots in the app's. it was it didnt display all the cams on the hik-connect would only get 3 cameras

and vers 4.30 while runs mostly smooth it seemed like lots of disconnects and what not. and lack of many features i like. eg system maintenance page status pages, play strategy, for real time smooth or balanced live view per cam

i hate that smart play does not work for me on 3.4.109 its suppost to work even if you have a cam dont support it or some thing like that.

in vers 4.30 the smart works by just skipping the none motion time in the time line but no way to goto next event just a +sec
theres no real advanced settings in this even in the web

btw the 5mp's look and record better at night then the 4k cam does also im using h.265, i cant get the + to work for me maybe even though the setting is in the flashed updated cams they dont really support it and its greyed out in the nvr and no way to turn on,

i had the rate all much higher but im trying to save on hd so thought it stupid set at max and still use h265 defeating the point of saving space

Last edited:
Interesting feedback. Thanks. I've the 7604NI-K1(B) and it the bitrates are poor. Anything over 3072 ( with medium quality) and it struggles to playback remotely (it's fine using the monitor connected directly to the NVR). Even if I try to connect to it via iVMS and local IP address. hence why I'm thinking of upgrading the NVR for an I series as I want to add an 8MP varifolcal turret. I'll try setting the feeds to be in sub stream.

I agree with what you say about the 5MP vs 8MP. I have 2 x 6MP bullets and they are much better at night compares to my 8MP turret. I used to assume that it was better sensors in them, but it turns out the less MP, the more light is let in to the sensor due to the sensor pixels being larger.

Back