01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect Incorrect External IP Address on Hik-Connect website

chazman88

Hi All,

Having a weird issue with my Hikvision/HikConnect account.

My Hik-Connect App is currently working fine from my iOS devices if im on the same network as the CCTV recorder and also if im on a different network or 4G connection.

However when playing back recorded footage the "1x" playback speed button is greyed out, I belive this means that the App is using a connection via the HikVision servers and not a direct connection to my NVR? and that I need to configre the Dynamic DNS and port forwarding within the app.

When trying to enable the HikVision Dynamic DNS it always times out and fails. Ive done a bit of digging and if i login to the www.hik-connect.com website i can see that the "IP/Port Number" for my NVR does not match my external IP address which is why the direct remote connection does not work. If i manually type my external IP address with the forwarded port number then I can log in to my NVR so i know the port forwarding is fine.

Any ideas why the external IP address is not updating/matching properly?

Thanks

When i didnt have public external IP adress, it was showing me the hicconnect (ithink VPN local) adress... Maybe thats it ...

Hi All,

Having a weird issue with my Hikvision/HikConnect account.

My Hik-Connect App is currently working fine from my iOS devices if im on the same network as the CCTV recorder and also if im on a different network or 4G connection.

However when playing back recorded footage the "1x" playback speed button is greyed out, I belive this means that the App is using a connection via the HikVision servers and not a direct connection to my NVR? and that I need to configre the Dynamic DNS and port forwarding within the app.

When trying to enable the HikVision Dynamic DNS it always times out and fails. Ive done a bit of digging and if i login to the www.hik-connect.com website i can see that the "IP/Port Number" for my NVR does not match my external IP address which is why the direct remote connection does not work. If i manually type my external IP address with the forwarded port number then I can log in to my NVR so i know the port forwarding is fine.

Any ideas why the external IP address is not updating/matching properly?

Thanks

There are two ways of setting up your connection to the recorder while still using Hikvision DDNS service. Neither are "direct" if you're using the Hik Connect DDNS service, as both require you to be logged in to the service:

1 - P2P. The NVR can have a dynamic or static IP address on the local network and UPnP/NAT is enabled on the recorder. The recorder establishes a connection to the service and attempts to automatically (or manually if set) translate the internal ports in use (80, 554, 8000 by default) to different external ports. When connecting to the recorder using the service and app, that port translation/mapping is reversed allowing viewing/playback. This method is slower, less reliable and doesn't permit remote configuration.

2 - Port Forwarding. The NVR has a static address on the local network and UPnP/NAT is disabled on the recorder. Port forwarding must be set up in the router to forward the required ports to the local address of the recorder. In the app DDNS settings, you set the server and http port and admin password. When connecting via the Hik Connect service, the app uses the defined ports and your router forwards those ports to the recorder. This is faster, more reliable and allows remote configuration using the app. Note - as the standard recorder ports are well known and not randomised the way they are in method 1 by UPnP, it would be wise to alter the ports to minimise the risk of illegal login attempts.

You should use 1 OR 2. Setting up port forwarding as method 2 while leaving UPnP/NAT enabled or DHCP enabled IP address as method 1, will cause you all sorts of issues.

The "direct" method and my preference is to use a third party DDNS (DYN for example), port forwarding and not use the Hik Connect service at all (remaining logged out of the service in the app). This is the most reliable as you're not reliant on the Hik Connect service - just a valid internet connection, a working app and properly configured router. Unfortunately, push notifications will not work using that method and so you won't receive alarms to your device if you have them configured. For reasons unknown Hikvision will only allow push notifications in the Hik Connect app while using their DDNS (though they are partially supported in the iVMS 4500 app - no thumbnails, notifications to phone but not directly to app)

Back