01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Intrusion Detection Regions And Small Animals

EViS

I am trying to fine tune my setup and the one aspect I am struggling with is the amount of event triggers I am seeing from cats entering an intrusion zone. I have made sure to set the minimum detection size to larger than a small animal (and the maximum size to larger than a person), but intrusion events are still being triggering by cats. Could this be due to the sensitivity being set at 60% (the threshold is set a 0 seconds), so the minimum box size would need to be almost double the size of a cat otherwise an event will always be triggered when the whole cat is within the intrusion zone?

Or, is this a scenario where I should setup a couple of regions butted up to one another with the minimum detection size gradually increasing within regions which are closer to the camera?

Set threshold to 1 or 2, and start lowering sensitivity in 5% increments. All of my cameras ended up needing between 35 and 50. If the box is larger than the animal I can't see how it's triggering. I'd also set the maximum box to the biggest size you can make it. It takes a while to get a feel for how to fine tune intrusion detection, but once you have it it's a breeze.

Why would increasing the threshold help? If a cat remains in the area for more than a second, it will still trigger, no?

Just so I am clear, in regards to the minimum size box, is the size calculated by the total box area (and not the minimum width or height of the box)? e.g. If an object is narrower but taller than the minimum drawn area, as long as it's total area is equal to or greater than the minimum drawn area, it will trigger positively?

It's whether the moving object fits in the box. So if you draw a ridiculously thin and tall box it'll never trigger.

So the object needs to be wider AND taller than the minimum box size? If one of these dimensions isn't greater, the event will never trigger?

I'll give this one more shot, because it appears you're not doing any actual testing of your system. You have to look at the actual images on your screen and draw the boxes accordingly. Draw a box on the screen that a cat will actually fit in. Now enlarge that box, but not so big that it's bigger than a box that a human will fit in. You're done.

Last edited:
This is the area at my front door. Notice the "max size" box is as large as the screen. The "minimum size" box (lower left) is just bigger than the cats and possums that cross that area every night, but small enough to capture humans. And the yellow box is the intrusion detection area. I have mine set at 50% sensitivity and 0 threshold because I want notification of anyone near my front door 24/7.

BoEtntw.jpg

Oh believe me, I am most definitely testing the system and using people as well as animals to draw the boxes. Which has led me here to ask why animals are still triggering events.

Your min box is obviously far taller than it is wide, so if an animal were to walk across that image left-right, the box they would encapsulate would be wider than it is tall. Yet that does not trigger an event for you, which must mean that the system is looking at the total min. box area and not specifically at xy dimensions?

Back