01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

IP Cameras - Cost effective solution? Installing in mothers home

s15-silvia

Hi everyone. As you can tell I'm new to this forum. A change in my mother's health has recently brought to my attention that I need to start looking into a cost-effective CCTV solution.

I live away from my mother who lives alone and recently she has taken ill and has not been able to get up when she has fallen in her home. I'd like to be able to keep an eye on her when I'm not about to make sure she is okay around the home.

What my query is, is that I'm seeking a not so expensive system that I can install in her home that would allow me to remote monitor. Ideally with recording...

I'm looking for a IP CCTV System that has support for POE and uses dome cameras

I have a budget of around £200-£300 for the entire system (NVR, 2X Cameras) but I may stretch if I feel I may get better value for money by buying higher quality cameras.

I know you guys are fans of Hikvision (I think its called) on this forum but when I've priced 1x NVR POE and 2X Cameras (unsure on what models or version) the cost comes to around £600.

Are there any alternatives? Different brand?

At some point, I'd like to upgrade my own analog system to a similar one ill be installing in my mothers also so I may be shopping for 2x the same system. Only difference would be my own cameras will be mounted outdoors.

I appreciate any help/advice! Thanks

For monitoring elderly / disabled family indoors it's hard to beat the value of the generic wireless mini-PTZ type cameras with memory card recording.
You don't need high resolution.
Try to find one with positive customer feedback reviews.

1527840512625.png

Hi Silvia,
I wish you all the best in your CCTV project. I was ten years ago in a similar situation in taking care of my father. Then I found a solution by using two low resolution Axis wi-fi box cameras. We did not record any video. I used to check the general situation in the apartment.
The placement was planned not to be too intrusive. It happened even twice that I saw him fallen down when accessing the camera and called for local help. So I can say that this investment has been worth the money and all efforts. One of those cameras is still in other use and sends email alarm messages triggered by motion detection.
Since then I tried some low cost brands but got horribly bad experiences from the lack of reliability and usability. Later experience with Hikvision has been much better. Their cube cameras DS-2CD2442 or DS-2CD2455 could be nice standalone indoors recording solutions. Recently I have been focusing my use more on Milesight. Their model UI-2A83-PCV 2MP Indoor IR Mini Dome Camera with a suitable viewing angle could also be useful if you connect it to a modem/router with ethernet cable and PoE power supply (PoE injector).

Back