01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

IP Cameras with Ethernet, 2 way audio and Mac app

joecoyle

Hi

I'm new here - I have quite a specific setup / requirements that I will attempt to describe...

In my garden I have an observatory (essentially a shed). I need two cameras for different views - one to check that my telescope is horizontal, and one to check the roof is open/closed.

I would like these 2 cameras to be ethernet (my wifi range isn't great)... not necessarily POE, as I have power in the shed, so just a LAN connection is fine.

The other main major requirement is I would like to be able to view the live view on a Mac and use two way audio to the cameras via the same Mac app.

I don't need a DVR/NVR or any recording... this is all only to check my roof isn't going to bash my scope when I close it remotely.

Is there such a camera / mac app which meets these needs?

Currently I have a cheap YooSee camera (no longer on Amazon) / iPhone app which works for ethernet / 2 way audio, but i'd much prefer a mac app so I don't have to keep checking my phone. I have used a few mac apps for viewing the feed, but don't know of one that has the 2-way intercom functionality.

If I can add any more / clarify anything, let me know.

Thanks
Joe

Hi Joe, there are very, very few cameras which can be run entirely on a Mac using the supplied software unless you opt for a baby monitor or a closed proprietary system such as Reolink offer. Their Mac software is free, elegant and stable as are their IOS and Android apps. But they don't produce wired cams with 2-way audio. However, you might consider their Go 4G wireless camera which will do what you want.

Another option would be to ignore the proprietary software and instead opt for the excellent third party Mac software, Security Spy to give you more camera choices - but do first check that it is compatible with the camera you want and that you can configure from there.

Your best compromise might be to install the brilliant Windows emulation software, Parallels Desktop, which lets you switch into Windows as seamlessly as switching between native Mac apps. You would then be able to use Internet Explorer for access to the web config of a decent camera and/or run the camera maker's VMS software under emulation. You can then Google indiscriminately for IP cameras with two-way audio.

You might also consider one PTZ camera rather than two fixed cams.

Hi, thanks - I have downloaded the trial of security spy... The Yoosee camera I have now is a PTZ one... and I have a video/audio feed from it. If I can just figure out how to get the PTZ working from it, then I'm sorted. I can live without the 2 way audio.

The PTZ works via the Yoosee app and via the cameras own CMS software. Reading around, it seems the app randomly sets the full 'admin' password of the camera (which is different from the user's 'admin' RTSP password, and is the thing needed for PTZ control)...

So many new terms and technology... I thought astronomy was bad enough :)

Cheers.
Joe

Back