01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

IR day/night cameras vs. separate IR illuminators

DaleTX

How long do the built-in IR LEDs last on modern IP cameras? Assuming a life of 25k hours, and that IR illumination is on 1/2 the day, that comes out to something like 5 years.

Are people here with such cameras seeing this type of life? The alternative is to use separate IR illuminators, which can then be replaced independently from the cameras. More work to initially install, but then you should only need to replace the cameras if you want newer tech.

There is also a claim that cameras with built-in IR attract insects, which generates more motion falsing, but from what I read, insects are not attracted to IR light, only to UV and short-wavelength visible light. I suppose they could be attracted to the heat from the IR LEDs, but that would only be an issue for cold climates. Can anyone using cameras with built-in IR LEDs speak to whether insects are a problem?

These are valid points, but most people go with what is available and cost-effective e.g. the manufacturers tend to include IR LEDs in all of their outdoor / weatherproof cameras.

Insects in front of the camera can be an issue, and when it occurs it can be very detrimental to image quality, but I wouldn't say that it is something that most users suffer with. It's typical that you may need to clear away any spider webs every few months, and to keep the camera clean anyway.

IR LED lifespan doesn't tend to be a big issue e.g. they don't tend to suffer from early failure.
We have very few warranty claims for IR LED failure (I cannot remember the last such claim), and a typical camera warranty will be three years nowadays.
By the time that the LEDs fail (after several years typically, three or more is my feeling) then people are willing to consider replacement cameras with the latest tech / resolution.
Of course, you also have the option then to add an external lamp if you remain happy with the camera.
In fact, you could use an external lamp from day one if you wish (and disable the built-in LEDs - there is normally a setting to turn them off).
Separate IR lamps tend to be fairly expensive, certainly good ones that provide even illumination.
Modern cameras don't need a lot of light.
Most people would just illuminate the scene with a standard low-power white lamp overnight.

Back