01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Is a 32" 4K monitor worth it? Connected to the 4K NVR permanently...

sentinel

Good morning from Greece,

I have the HikVision 4Κ NVR DS-7608NI-K2 with 2 Cams connected to it only via LAN, they are powered with PoE from another dedicated Ubiquiti switch (EdgeSwitch 8-150W). Their models are DS-2CD2386G2-IU (8MP 4K) and the older DS-2CD2363G0-IU (6MP). I am thinking of buying this monitor from LG which has built-in speakers for the camera sounds and very good reviews, LG 31.5” UHD 4K Monitor : buy online | LG UK and I want it to be connected directly on the NVR via HDMI cable, switched on 24/7, and displaying both cameras in the living room (the NVR is located there too of course). Shortly, 3 more 4K cameras will be added to the "fleet" of cams. They will probably be DS-2CD2386G2-IU too.

The question is, should I get this 32" 4K monitor for this kind of usage OR should I spend less money on some other cheaper monitor unit with less resolution? Does the existence of so many 4K cameras justify the purchase of a 4K monitor or will a 1080p do the job as well?

What would you do in my place and what do you recommend for this scenario? I definitely need to have a monitor displaying all the cameras and all the time in the living room.

Last edited:
Funny that not even one person has replied with some kind of advice...

Hi @sentinel

Apologies for the lack of responses, I had seen your post when you first posted it but left it as we have never actually used a 4K monitor this size so wanted to leave it to other users who may have used one, but obviously, there aren't many on here that have.

I would say that if your plan, in the long run, is to have all 5 cameras live streaming on the monitor almost continuously every day then a large 4K monitor would be a good idea to see the most detail possible when you are split-screening the 5 live views.

But if the monitor is going to be in your front room then the size of the room is going to play a part in the size of screen you choose because a large screen in a small room can look messy and be distracting to people using the room.

Thanks for your reply Dan! So do you think that perhaps a 28" instead of a 32 inch would suit us better? It's not the biggest living room you can think of actually. It is rather medium. I am afraid that 4k resolution in 28" would look kind of cramped and compressed..

28" may work better in your location/scenario, I wouldn't be too worried about things looking cramped because what most users who have the streams running 24/7 do is see activity on one of the smaller live streams and then double-click that stream to blow it up to full screen. Alternatively, you can set Smart Events to trigger Full Screen Live View.

Hi @sentinel

Yes, that looks like a good 4K monitor choice, our demo 4K monitor in the office is a similar ASUS model and that has been very reliable.

Back