01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Is a PoE injector useless for my setup?

kev269

Hi,

I am looking to put a camera in my back garden, but I want to use a minimal amount of cable. My router and NVR are positioned very close to each other at the front of my house, but the camera would be far away from both. Does this mean that a PoE injector would be useless for me, unless I move my router away and put it as close as I can to the camera? The way I understand it is that the PoE injector only saves me from having to connect the camera to the NVR, but a cable would still need to be connected from the injector to the router.

If true, is there any other way I can set this up to use minimal amount of cable?

Thanks for your help.

Can you not just have a cable from the NVR to the camera?
The NVR will be providing POE so just one cable to the camera. As long as under 100 metres length from NVR to camera.

Hi @kev269

You can just run a single network cable directly into the NVR, but if you want to keep cable runs shorter and you have a source of power close to the camera you can look at other bridging options like a Powerline device which will pass network data across the properties power circuit so that you just plug one powerline device near the router and one near the camera and as long as all your power sockets are on the same circuit they can be linked together. Another option would be a WiFi Bridge which operates a similar way to the powerline but sends the network signal over a WiFi connection between 2 point-to-point WiFi bridge devices.

Back