01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Is it advantageous to have the cameras directly connected to PVR or not?

RoundSquare

Hi guys great forum.
I'm just at the setting up stage.
I've already ran Cat 6a cable throughout the house terminating in an upstairs cupboard (quite small) and was just going to use this for for the NVR, patch panel, router and switch.
However I've decided it will be a bit cramped and possibly a bit noisy so I'm contemplating putting the NVR up in the unfloored loft. (will put something down so I don't go through the ceiling ;))

NVR is DS-7616NI-12-16p

A couple of questions:

Will having the NVR not easily accessible cause too many problems? I can see it being a problem during set up but after this can I make a lot of changes remotely?

Lastly, is there any advantage plugging the cameras (POE) directly into the PVR compared to using a POE switch? Is remote access more reliable either way?

Thanks.

Will having the NVR not easily accessible cause too many problems? I can see it being a problem during set up but after this can I make a lot of changes remotely?
I think there are some changes that can only be done at the NVR, I would keep a monitor / mouse at the NVR. Alternately you could dedicate a Cat6 cable to a Keyboard / Video(HDMI) / mouse (KVM) switch to get full remote access to the NVR.

I like to do any firmware updates at the NVR using a USB key.

Lastly, is there any advantage plugging the cameras (POE) directly into the PVR compared to using a POE switch? Is remote access more reliable either way?
cameras connected direct to the PoE ports on the NVR are on a private subnet that offers a layer of security for the cameras. To access them directly you need to enable the virtual host on the NVR.

I have my NVR plugged into a switch and all cameras connect to that switch. I've never as yet had the need to use a local monitor/mouse on the NVR. Everything that I need to configure I can do via web interface etc.

My only thought about the location of your NVR in loft is the heat during summer which could shorten the life span of the unit/harddisk. Don't forget both the HD and internal power (unless you have split that off) generate their own heat to.

Thanks both for the replies.
I should have searched the forum as plenty has already been said about it.

@Juiceof2limes I'm in Scotland so the summer months don't last that long :) but yeah I know what you mean.
The noise of the NVR though is something else and the loft seemed the perfect out of the way position.
I'll need to rethink this.

Maybe not so hot in Scotland as down south which stopped me putting it up there. You might be lucky and not have any issue,

And with regards to noise even when in loft, I've read msgs where sometimes you can still hear it due to vibrations. But again depends on placement and what it sits on. I modified mine to take out the internal supply and swapped for a silent external brick. Also changed/added fans. It is generally quiet now, only hear it if standing right by it. Sits on top of a wardrobe with switch with feeds dropping down from loft/ceiling. All out of the way and don't notice it.

Back