01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

[ISSUE] Picture snapshot working great, RTSP does not.

zykeh

Hello, I am trying to make a cross-platform app to allow me to see just some of my cameras, not all of them, without any extra settings, just plain and simple camera viewing, however before starting I wanted to see how I could get the video from the camera. I got to RTSP, and this picture snapshot is working great for me:
http://<address>/ISAPI/Streaming/channels/101/picture
However, when I try to switch to RTSP, opening this address with VLC just simply fails:
rtsp://admin:<password>@<address>:554/Streaming/Channels/101
I've also tried without specifying the user and the password, and to no avail. Can anyone please help me?
My cameras are analogue.

Hi @zykeh

Have you checked these things, especially number 2? All will prevent your RTSP stream from working (number 3 is probably not the issue though if the picture snapshot is working):
For it to work:
  1. You cannot use H.264+ or H.265+ encoding.

2. The stream cannot be encrypted - you can only disable encryption directly on the NVR's local GUI by going to:

System > Network > Advanced > Platform Access > Enable Stream Encryption [untick]

3. The RTSP Port for the camera must be opened/forwarded on your router - in the NVR's web browser interface, go to:

System > Network > TCP/IP> NAT > RTSP Port

Also, make sure that you are using your public IP in the URL, and it might be worth trying another port number.

Do you have any luck with this URL format (which will require you to input the username/password)?
rtsp://<NVR's Public IP Address>:<Opened RTSP Port>/Streaming/Channels/<channel number that the camera is on><stream number>

Hi @zykeh

Have you checked these things, especially number 2? All will prevent your RTSP stream from working (number 3 is probably not the issue though if the picture snapshot is working):

Also, make sure that you are using your public IP in the URL, and it might be worth trying another port number.

Do you have any luck with this URL format (which will require you to input the username/password)?
Seems like the 2nd point was the problem, however when I disable Stream Encryption, I can't access my cameras from my mobile phone anymore through HikConnect. Is there a way to be able to see my cameras on the mobile app and through RTSP as well?

Is stream encryption still enabled on the NVR's settings in the app itself? Make sure it isn't as explained here:
http://Hik-Connect Help - Enabling/Disabling Video and Image Encryption

Try unbinding the NVR from your Hik-Connect account and then adding it again if that doesn't help:

I do have stream encryption disabled in the app itself. This is what I see in the DVR control panel:

1627649411849.png

And when I click the tick to disable stream encryption, all my cameras go offline in the HikConnect app. When I delete it and try to reconnect again, it just doesn't find my DVR in the available devices.

Is the "Enable" tickbox in your screenshot the one you are using to disable?

Yes, there is no other tick available on the 'Platform Access' page and when trying to set no password as the key, I can't save.

So that one is actually disabling Hik-Connect on the NVR, which is why it is dropping offline in the app. You can only disable the stream encryption in Platform Access on the NVR's local GUI via a directly connected monitor in:

System Network Advanced Platform Access

Thank you very much for helping me out and guiding me.
So that one is actually disabling Hik-Connect on the NVR, which is why it is dropping offline in the app. You can only disable the stream encryption in Platform Access on the NVR's local GUI via a directly connected monitor in:

System Network Advanced Platform Access

Back