01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Issues with DS-7208HUHI-K2 DVR recording quality and playback?

richardc1983

Hi Everyone,

New member here but have been following the forum for a while now and have searched high and low for a definitive answer.

I have the DS-7208HUHI-K2 system installed since last year following upgrade from an older system with 7 ColourVu 5mp cameras. Cameras are not IP and are the 5mp coax wired dome-type. I just cannot seem to get good playback using the Android HIK Connect App. It's particularly bad on the playback of recordings. What I notice is that playback seems jittery and I have 30s pre and after for the recording but sometimes on playback the actual movement activation seems to be caught too late and you see the person walking come into view then they just disappear. Playing back on the NVR seems ok some of the time.

So about my settings and attached is a picture of the settings. I have played around with all sorts of settings to try get the best picture quality for the recordings etc but nothing I do seems to improve things and playback is either jittery etc. I have tried adjusting frame rate as it recommends a bitrate range so I put it halfway between what it recommends.

-H265+ enabled on all cameras.
-Bitrate as per attached.
-Firmware updated to V4.25.000 build 200925
-Combination of motion detection and line crossing detection.
-Within HIK connect I have the system added as an "online device" and use this when at home and then when I am away from home it is added by the IP address directly avoiding the need for the sometimes slow HIK connect servers.

Any help gratefully received on what settings should be what? Do I need to move from 5mp to 4mp? I have even tried moving the Main Stream Continuous to 1080p assuming that this may fix it but if anything it made it worse so now it is set to the same as event.

Should I turn off the + and just use H265 or even go to H264 or H264+?

Thank you
Richard.

Attachments

• 20210309_114135.jpg
    20210309_114135.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 347
Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

New member here but have been following the forum for a while now and have searched high and low for a definitive answer.

I have the DS-7208HUHI-K2 system installed since last year following upgrade from an older system with 7 ColourVu 5mp cameras. Cameras are not IP and are the 5mp coax wired dome-type. I just cannot seem to get good playback using the Android HIK Connect App. It's particularly bad on the playback of recordings. What I notice is that playback seems jittery and I have 30s pre and after for the recording but sometimes on playback the actual movement activation seems to be caught too late and you see the person walking come into view then they just disappear. Playing back on the NVR seems ok some of the time.

So about my settings and attached is a picture of the settings. I have played around with all sorts of settings to try get the best picture quality for the recordings etc but nothing I do seems to improve things and playback is either jittery etc. I have tried adjusting frame rate as it recommends a bitrate range so I put it halfway between what it recommends.

-H265+ enabled on all cameras.
-Bitrate as per attached.
-Firmware updated to V4.25.000 build 200925
-Combination of motion detection and line crossing detection.
-Within HIK connect I have the system added as an "online device" and use this when at home and then when I am away from home it is added by the IP address directly avoiding the need for the sometimes slow HIK connect servers.

Any help gratefully received on what settings should be what? Do I need to move from 5mp to 4mp? I have even tried moving the Main Stream Continuous to 1080p assuming that this may fix it but if anything it made it worse so now it is set to the same as event.

Should I turn off the + and just use H265 or even go to H264 or H264+?

Thank you
Richard.

Playback quality on Hik Connect and playback quality locally are two different topics. Concentrate on whether you are happy with the images when playing back locally at first.

There's nothing in particular that's wrong with the settings you have. Regular H265 however allows more control, enabling you to increase the quality setting (reducing the compression level) and adjust the bit rate. You may be able to improve the image quality slightly.

What I notice is that playback seems jittery and I have 30s pre and after for the recording but sometimes on playback the actual movement activation seems to be caught too late and you see the person walking come into view then they just disappear. Playing back on the NVR seems ok some of the time.
You should only use the pre alarm time if you're recording only on event. If you're recording on a 24/7 schedule it should be set to 0 seconds otherwise you'll experience exactly what you're describing - as the trigger occurs the picture will tend to freeze and then jump forward.

Playback quality on Hik Connect and playback quality locally are two different topics. Concentrate on whether you are happy with the images when playing back locally at first.

There's nothing in particular that's wrong with the settings you have. Regular H265 however allows more control, enabling you to increase the quality setting (reducing the compression level) and adjust the bit rate. You may be able to improve the image quality slightly.

You should only use the pre alarm time if you're recording only on event. If you're recording on a 24/7 schedule it should be set to 0 seconds otherwise you'll experience exactly what you're describing - as the trigger occurs the picture will tend to freeze and then jump forward.

I use event (line crossing/motion/intruder detection) etc so not a 24/7 schedule. I have now noticed that the pre record is not working and it is recording straight from when the activation occurs this is since I upgraded the software the other day.

I have switched back to H265 without the + and have set the following settings, the video quality seems fine on both playbacks and it doesn't seem to be juddering or missing a few seconds but then again the pre record is not working now. I have tried it on H264 and still to no avail. This has been since the update to the latest firmware available.

1615544287648.png
1615544321678.png

Back