01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

IVMS-4200 set up issue - Invalid IP address - error 55

Keith01

Hi,
I am trying to hook up my IVMS-4200 to my DVR (DS-7208HUHI K2/P) but keep getting Invalid IP Address when I am in fact referencing the correct DVR IP address (it was even auto-filled into the details I completed).
I have some IT knowledge (enough to be dangerous!) but I am truly at a loss on this one. It ought to be straightforward but I cannot see what is wrong even after trawling the might of Google and studying every parameter on every page of the DVR menu’s.
I tried initially on my iMac but eventually suspecting it simply did not work I set IVMS-4200 up on an old windows laptop but got exactly the same error (error 55).
When I look on the DVR Config/Network/Platform Access parameters it shows it as online.
I can set up and see my 2 IP cameras on IVMS-4200 but not the DVR and therefore the associated 5 coax connected cameras.
I have Hik-Connect on my iPhone and all of that is fine and dandy.
If anyone has come across this issue or knows a resolution then any help/pointers are very gratefully received.
The only solution I now have available is to drop-kick the PC out of the window and although that no doubt would be very satisfying it will probably land on the car!
Thanks, Keith01

You say you have 2 IP cameras. Are these also monitored/recorded by the DVR? It may be causing a conflict. Try deleting the two IP cams from iVMS 4200, then add the DVR. The two IP cams that are recorded by the DVR (if that’s how it’s setup) will be visible on iVMS with your HDTVi cams as a DVR group. IVMS can be a pain. It used to be the case that you couldn’t have a separate entry for a local LAN connection to your DVR as wall as a remote one using its WAN address. It would just give an error telling you the serial number already exists. If your router didn’t support loop back you were knackered.

Ps you also don’t say whether you are connecting via IP/Domain or via Hik Connect

Hi JB1979,
Thanks very much for your response. I deleted the 2 IP Cameras (which as you say are recorded on my DVR via my router) but unfortunately I get the same issue when just trying to load the DVR. The IP cameras were on separate IP addresses. I am trying to connect via IP/Domain (both the iMac and PC using wifi connection to my router). In case this is relevant I do have DHCP ticked on the DVR?
Do you think this is an IP conflict somewhere on my home network (everything else seems fine though)?
Cheers, Keith

Hi JB1979,
Thanks very much for your response. I deleted the 2 IP Cameras (which as you say are recorded on my DVR via my router) but unfortunately I get the same issue when just trying to load the DVR. The IP cameras were on separate IP addresses. I am trying to connect via IP/Domain (both the iMac and PC using wifi connection to my router). In case this is relevant I do have DHCP ticked on the DVR?
Do you think this is an IP conflict somewhere on my home network (everything else seems fine though)?
Cheers, Keith

If you're going to access the system remotely from your phone etc I'd recommend you switch off DHCP on the DVR and use a static address. Without setting a reservation in the router, it's possible that another device could be assigned the one your DVR currently has in the future. Rather than faff around with the DHCP pool settings on the router, select a sufficiently high number that will never get assigned to a device. I usually set my systems to 192.168.xxx.250 for instance.

Of course for remote connection, if you're not using Hik Connect as the connect method you'll need to forward the required TCP ports (80, 8000, 554 if unchanged) to the DVR LAN IP address that you use.

Ah, funny you should say that as I have just switched DHCP off on the DVR. It now has a static address that does not conflict (I am looking at my router info.). I have set up port forwarding on my router for the static DVR IP address for ports 8000 / 80 /554 /443 (this I believe is what the guy who set it up did ages ago) although when I checked my router there were no port forwarding rules for the DVR? Anyway, there are now.
I've turned the DVR off and on again (getting desparate) but all roads lead back to invalid IP address - error 55.
Any further thoughts very much appreciated.
Cheers, Keith

Ah, funny you should say that as I have just switched DHCP off on the DVR. It now has a static address that does not conflict (I am looking at my router info.). I have set up port forwarding on my router for the static DVR IP address for ports 8000 / 80 /554 /443 (this I believe is what the guy who set it up did ages ago) although when I checked my router there were no port forwarding rules for the DVR? Anyway, there are now.
I've turned the DVR off and on again (getting desparate) but all roads lead back to invalid IP address - error 55.
Any further thoughts very much appreciated.
Cheers, Keith

In iVMS are you trying to connect using the internal or external address? Try first using the internal address while your pc/Mac is on the same LAN. This will prove the basic connection. Once you’ve done that, try with the external IP address to prove port forwarding is working. However note my comment regarding loop back - if your router doesn’t support it, you’ll be unable to connect to your DVR with the external IP address while at home. IVMS 4200 wouldn’t allow you to create two entries (internal & external) to get around this issue as it recognises the serial number of the DVR and won’t allow a duplicate

Sadly my lack of knowledge means I don't fully understand how to achieve the above. I assume I am using an internal IP address (192.168.1.204 - the static one I created for the DVR) and I assume everything is on the same LAN (not sure how to prove this but I don't see anything to suggest more than 1 LAN).
IVMS-4200 does show the DVR in 'online devices' albeit I cannot 'add' it (invalid IP address - error 55). Does that mean I have a basic connection?
I don't know how to try it with the external IP address as I am not sure what that address is?
However, I have checked about loop-back and it would seem from google (and one rarely gets a definitive answer amongst the often conflicting info.) that my BT Home Hub 6 does not support it (apologies, when you previously mentioned loopback I googled it and it said I have it on my DVR as it overwrites the file when it is full - that's what you are dealing with here :).
I therefore have now concluded that I am wasting my time (and apologies for wasting yours) trying to get this to work with my current configuration but am at least content I tried and took it as far as I could!

Sincere thanks for your help.

Cheers, Keith

Back