01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

iVMS-4200 VS Smart Event alarm/record indication

michaelc

Hi Everybody,

I'm enjoying getting to learn the ropes around the latest version of iVMS-4200 VS (v1.1.0.10), it's certainly quite different from iVMS-4200 v2

One idiosyncrasy that I have noticed is that the red bell icon that appears in the Main View when detected Events are sent from cameras does not turn off after Smart Events (Line Crossing Detection, Intrusion Detection, etc.) have ended. In fact, the only way I can clear this indication is to re-start the software.

Cameras with Basic Events only, the bell appears for the duration of the event, then turns off.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to make this Bell icon work the same for Smart Events as it does for Basic Events?

Regards,

Michael.

Hi @michaelc,

It's not something I've previously heard of and may be an issue specific to the VS version.

Do you have the same issue on the latest version of iVMS-4200? It can be downloaded here: iVMS-4200 V3.2.0.10

I'd also make sure all your devices are running the most up-to-date firmware.

Hi @michaelc ,
there is tab on the bottom of your ivms you can pulled it up by clicking on arrow by doing this it shows your event in main view you could choose the specific event and right click then clear or you could do this by pressing recycle button both work same way and red bell goes clear.

cctvc.png

Hi @michaelc,

It's not something I've previously heard of and may be an issue specific to the VS version.

Do you have the same issue on the latest version of iVMS-4200? It can be downloaded here: iVMS-4200 V3.2.0.10

I'd also make sure all your devices are running the most up-to-date firmware.

I'm using the latest version of the iVMS-4200 VS software (v1.0.0.10). I did try the latest full version of iVMS-4200 and it shows the same behaviour. I cannot clear the bell icon after the Smart Event has been detected.

The camera I am using with Smart Events is a DS-2CD2365G1-I which replaced a DS-2CD2342WD-I. The older camera has been re-deployed in another location at my home.

I was unable to get satisfactory Basic Event detection/recording working with the new camera. Basic Events would record on the SD Card perfectly fine, but the iVMS-4200 software would not start recording well after the Basic Event started. I've never had any issue with using Basic Event detection with the older cameras so I originally tried using them with the new camera. It didn't seem to matter how much I tweaked the Sensitivity & Percentage, I just couldn't make Basic Events record properly on the iVMS-4200 software... they ALWAYS missed out on the start while the SD Card recorded everything fine. I watched the screen on the iVMS-4200 software will with green blocks (Dynamic Analysis for Motion enabled) and the record icon still wouldn't light up until many seconds later.

TL;DR - Smart Events from the DS-2CS2365G1-I are recorded fine on the iVMS-4200 software, Basic Events were not. :)

This is probably best the subject of another thread... but here are some video clips of what I was experiencing.

It is running firmware v5.6.4 which I believe is the most recent.

All of my other cameras are the much older DS-2CD2342WD-I models.

Regards,

Michael.

Last edited:
Hi @michaelc ,
there is tab on the bottom of your ivms you can pulled it up by clicking on arrow by doing this it shows your event in main view you could choose the specific event and right click then clear or you could do this by pressing recycle button both work same way and red bell goes clear.

View attachment 3623

I have tried this (screen capture attached), but even with all of the events cleared... the red bell icon remains.

It is quite puzzling.

Regards,

Michael.

Attachments

• iVMS-4200 VS.jpg
    iVMS-4200 VS.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 1,062
I would also like to add that I do acknowledge that this forum is a support area for the use-IP store and customers.

Me being in Australia makes it hard to be a customer of use-IP, but this forum and it's admins and users is right up there with the most knowledgeable I have found.

If I am overstepping some bounds with my questions, please let me know.

Anybody is welcome in these forums, we're not customer-exclusive :)

You're not overstepping any bounds at all but your kind words are appreciated!

I've asked Hikvision about the issue as it is a strange one, especially as you're experiencing the same thing in the normal version of iVMS-4200. We're not seeing the issue in the program at all currently. I'll get back to you when I receive a response from them.

Also, how is the problematic camera connected to your network, are you using an recorder or only the on-board Micro SD for storage?

Are you running the software on PC or Mac?

Anybody is welcome in these forums, we're not customer-exclusive :)

You're not overstepping any bounds at all but your kind words are appreciated!

I've asked Hikvision about the issue as it is a strange one, especially as you're experiencing the same thing in the normal version of iVMS-4200. We're not seeing the issue in the program at all currently. I'll get back to you when I receive a response from them.

Also, how is the problematic camera connected to your network, are you using an recorder or only the on-board Micro SD for storage?

Are you running the software on PC or Mac?

Thanks for chasing this up with Hikvision. I'm glad that I have found a forum where I can post my silly/dumb questions :)

I have iVMS-4200 running on a Windows 7 64bit PC

My cameras are all connected via Cat6 to a Netonix WS-12-250-DC POE switch. I like this switch as it can be powered from 9-72 VDC. All of the network equipment in my "network closet" at home runs on either 5V, 12V or 24V DC. I have a 120Ah 24V gel backup battery and custom regulator that keeps everything alive during power outages. The POE switch is then connected to my main Mikrotik switch with a short 1m fibre and SFP transceivers. The link to the machine that is running the iVMS-4200 VS software is then a 1 GB Cat6 connection.

I have configured the camera to record on both the internal SD Card and also on the iVMS-4200 VS software (see attached). This is how I was able to determine that there was an issue with Basic Events on the newer DS-2CD2365G1-I camera. Originally I set it up the same as my older cameras but discovered right away that something wasn't working correctly. My vendor suggested I try different codecs and eventually suggested I upgrade the iVMS-4200 from V2.8.1.4 to the newer V3.2.0.10. I advised my vendor that the new version of iVMS-4200 didn't fix the recording delay with Basic Events on the new camera and how I found that Smart Events worked fine. I guess this was taken by them that my problem was "fixed" and I haven't heard from them since. I have found a nice combination of Line Crossing and Intrusion Detection that seems to work very well.

I did try the full verion of iVMS-4200 this originally but found the "cut down" VS software did everything I needed. I have installed the latest iVMS-4200 and iVMS-4200 VS software on other PCs at home to see if this issue with the bell/recording icon is confined to the original PC or not... but it does it on other PCs too.

I am running the latest Storage Server V3.2.0.10 as a service using the NSSM software. This runs Storage Server in the background all the time the PC is running.

Regards,

Michael Carey
PORT LINCOLN

Attachments

• iVMS-4200 VS-2.jpg
    iVMS-4200 VS-2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 731
A quick follow up...

Strangely, when I shuffle the cameras around on the Main View, I get persistent red bell icons on my other cameras that cannot be cleared. The alarm indication in the list of cameras does go away after the event has finished (apart from the troublesome DS-2CD2365G1-I camera).

It's seems to be when I move a DS-2CD2342WD-I camera live view into the location where the new camera once was, this happens. More weird behaviour :)

Restarting iVMS-4200 VS will clear them, but the newer camera (DS-2CD2365G1-I) still has a "sticky" Smart Event notification icon regardless.

Attachments

• iVMS-4200 VS-3.jpg
    iVMS-4200 VS-3.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 556
I've heard back from Hikvision. Their response is below:

For the first issue, we can’t get the red bell to disappear once alarm received from the camera. I have met the same issue on my side and HQ said it should be fixed in the next version.

So it's a case of sitting tight on this one. It is strange as the same issue doesn't seem to arise for everyone running the software, but at least you're not completely alone with it.

Their response to the issue with basic events not properly recording to your NAS server, I'll let you know when I hear more:

I am checking the second issue with R&D. And please also advise the customer to select longer pre-record time (like 10 seconds) in the Advanced Settings of Storage and see if it helps. (shown below):

1587988090434.png

1587988096557.png

Let us know if this helps at all.

For the first issue, we can’t get the red bell to disappear once alarm received from the camera. I have met the same issue on my side and HQ said it should be fixed in the next version.

So it's a case of sitting tight on this one. It is strange as the same issue doesn't seem to arise for everyone running the software, but at least you're not completely alone with it.

Their response to the issue with basic events not properly recording to your NAS server, I'll let you know when I hear more:

I am checking the second issue with R&D. And please also advise the customer to select longer pre-record time (like 10 seconds) in the Advanced Settings of Storage and see if it helps. (shown below):

Let us know if this helps at all.

Thanks again! It's good to see that this issue with the sticky red bell indication has been seen by those with the power to fix it :)

I will experiment with the Pre Record time and Basic Event detection on the new camera over the next few days. To be honest, I've never been able to make the pre-record function work properly ever (**edit - with Basic Events)... even in previous version of iVMS-4200.

It didn't seem to matter to what I set the pre-record time (5, 10 15, 30sec), the recorded video always seemed to start at the instance of the Basic Event detection and never before. (**edit - Today I am seeing that pre-record does appear to work with Smart Events on my new camera (Front Door), but not with Basic Events on other cameras).

I am using an Event Based Storage Schedule, mainly to save on disk space. I figured the pre-record time would set up a buffer large enough to allow video preceding the detected event to be captured and saved. I may be configuring something wrong, but I do remember it frustrating me to no end many years ago.

Michael.

Last edited:

Some feedback on this.

I've updated iVMS-4200 VS from 1.1.0.10 to 1.2.1.6 last night... interestingly the "Detect New Software Version" option did not alert me to a new version... I found it out by checking the Hikvision web page.

Anyway, I can report that the new version of iVMS-4200 VS did not fix the issue I am experiencing with sticky red bell icons after a Smart Event has been detected :-( and as before, you can't clear them by clearing the Event List.

Do Hikvision release a changelog anywhere that details what they "fix" with each software revision?

Regards,

Michael Carey

iVMS-4200 VS-4.jpg

Anyway, I can report that the new version of iVMS-4200 VS did not fix the issue I am experiencing with sticky red bell icons after a Smart Event has been detected :-( and as before, you can't clear them by clearing the Event List.

An update re this issue!

I am pleased to now report that iVMS 4200 VS V1.3.1.6 build 20200812 has fixed the sticky red bell icons after Smart Events are detected! :-D

I am a happy camper.

Michael.

Back