01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

IVMS-4500 Lite — Use outside of local lan?

@StewartM:
You offered earlier to approach the folks in U.K. on my behalf......

Seeing that I am being rejected with every attempt to get this fixed here I have no misgivings in posting the serial number any more.

It’s a Ds2CD2042WD-1 camera
657169308 serial number.
USA support tells me it was bought from “Tri-Ed” in NY State.

Feel free to try and add it. You’ll see same messages as I do.

Anything you can get from them as to ‘why’ would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you are still struggling with support. I've successfully tested a workaround but it requires a Hikvision NVR.
Here's how I did the test:
  • Took one of my Hikvision cameras and registered it with my Hik-Connect.com account.
  • Created a second 'test' Hik-Connect account and tried to register the same camera's serial number and received the 'The device is added by other users.'
The work-around:
  • Enabled my Hikvision NVR's platform access, then added the NVR to my test Hik-Connect account.
  • Did a reset of the camera using the reset button (probably not necessary but I wanted a clean slate).
  • Plugged the camera into the NVR's POE port and it added the camera.
  • Logged into the Hik-Connect test account on my phone and the camera was listed under the NVR's drop-down. The camera is streaming perfectly.
As I mentioned before this is an expensive workaround. Given the uphill you have endured you might be dubious of spending any more on Hikvision. I'll get around to Hikvision's offices sometime next week and ask support face-to-face. Support is pretty good down here in Cape Town. I'll update you later in the week.

@StewartM:
You offered earlier to approach the folks in U.K. on my behalf......

Seeing that I am being rejected with every attempt to get this fixed here I have no misgivings in posting the serial number any more.

It’s a Ds2CD2042WD-1 camera
657169308 serial number.
USA support tells me it was bought from “Tri-Ed” in NY State.

Feel free to try and add it. You’ll see same messages as I do.

Anything you can get from them as to ‘why’ would be appreciated.
I'm in Cape Town, South Africa. Hikvision doesn't respond to my emails and often support doesn't pick up the phone. But... when I turn up at their offices they help. I'll get to it soonest.

Thanks so much. All 5 of the cameras I have ( Only one HiKvision) are ftp’ing to my NAS.
Crazy thing is, HiKvision camera is the best looking of them all!
What I would consider, now that I know more about the ins & outs of this camera, is get some more but you can understand my being gun shy at this point.
I have 3 cameras that are vga quality only that I plan on updating in the future.
I told this to support—and got another automated response

Happy hunting, my friend. I’d be interested in what they say is so darned bad about this camera!! I owe you a NC beer for your efforts!

Last edited:
Hi,
I would like to share my similar situation where I have some issues, too.
I have 5 R6 HikVision cameras connected in my private home local network. All of them have got the latest frmware (v. 5.5.53) installed.
In my private home local network (192.168.x.x) there is a Synology NAS. I have enabled the OpenVPN support on it and I can access all my local resources form the internet, both when connected via WiFi hotspot or via 4G.
That means that with my mobile (iPhone 6s) I can connect to my home network via OpenVPN and access all resources (NAS, shared folders, seneors, ...).
My target is to avoid using HikConnect and all the issue behind it (see above :-( ).
I was used to acess also to R6 cameras, using iVMS-4500 on iPhone 6s, and so I could remotely see Live Views, recordings and configuration, via wifi hotspot or 4G, through my secure OpenVPN connection.

Now, after the latest upgrade of the Iphone App, I can access my cameras from remote (always through OpenVPN) only if I am connected to the internet via WiFi Hotspot and not via 4G. If I am connected to the internet via 4G+OpenVPN, the cameras just apper "disconnected".
Please note that I can access all my resources via 4G+OpenVPN but HikVision cameras.

Is anybody facing the same issue?
Any clue?

HikVision support is just replying with suggetions like:
- use HikConnect (I do not trust it and so do not want to use it)
- Open the router port to access your local netowrk (I have done it, but just for OpenVPN, to keep it as secure as possible. No way to open more ports!!!)

Any help really would jhelp me.

Thanks for ouyr support.

Regards
Ugo

I'm using same Camera Firmware, and also have Sysnology NAS DS215J. And my Local LAN is 192.168.x.x also! (Also latest iPhone 12)
Even though I don't have access to camera from outside lan (Thanks, HiKvision!) I still have some access to the pictures camera sends to NAS...
on camera, on Motion Detect, the picture gets ftp'd to NAS to a dedicated folder on the NAS.... but I have not been able to get video to go there yet... (I've been unable to get the 4500 Lite iPhone App to point to NAS for Pics and Videos.. even from local LAN).

I do connect, from outside LAN, To Sysnology NAS via their QuickConnect Connection, and I've been phenomenally successful with it (Even from Italy I called up a drawing for display on iPhone to show someone else, and saved it to my photos application.)...
However, I've been un-successful in connecting to HiKvision camera "Live" from the Sysnology NAS..

Jan

Last edited:
I’ve given the seller of camera a link to this thread.

He tells me he never set it up for remote access!!
Hopefully he’ll reply here.

Last edited:
Hey!!! I catch more than Spiders!!!

Attachments

• C8B9CD35-406F-4B0F-9077-3A8618C1D41F.jpeg
    C8B9CD35-406F-4B0F-9077-3A8618C1D41F.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 217
This post is for Ugo. It’s also a step by step on how to connect remotely to a camera that doesn’t allow remote connections!!

No port forwarding needed, even with gateway!

I Got it working tonight!!
Do all the work on your Synology NAS !!!

first:
On NAS configure QuickConnect.
On. DSfiles APP load first your NAS IP and test DSfiles. Then add your Quickconnect Login And test that it works.
After you have QuickConnect working on local LAN, AND REMOTELY—-
When it works locally and remotely, THEN you install and config Surveillance Station on NAS such that you can access the camera on local lan from the program within the NAS. (enable user to have access to Surveillance System program and surveillance folder R/W on NAS).
When this works fine local and remote—-
THEN install DScam on iPhone or computer. It will automatically find and add the QuickConnect data from DSfiles App into the DScam app..... AND

It will work both locally and remotely!!! Yippee! HiKvision I don’t care that you won’t let me access camera!!! I did it another way!!!!

Last edited:
another unexpected benifit.....

If your camera does not support video recording on motion detect, but only ftp of pictures........
With Surveillance System——. You will be able to record video based on camera motion detection!!!

This post is for Ugo. It’s also a step by step on how to connect remotely to a camera that doesn’t allow remote connections!!

first:
On. DSfiles APP load first your NAS IP and test DSfiles. Then add your Quickconnect Login And test that it works.
When it works locally and remotely, THEN you install and config Surveillance Station on NAS such that you can access the camera on local lan from the program within the NAS. (enable user to have access to Surveillance System program and surveillance folder R/W on NAS).
THEN install DScam on iPhone or computer. It will automatically find and add the QuickConnect data from DSfiles App into the DScam app..... AND

It will work both locally and remotely!!! Yippee! HiKvision I don’t care that you won’t let me access camera!!! I did it another way!!!!
Glad it worked out for you. Just remeber, your're my goto guy now for Synology help ;) BTW, hope the spiders aren't as large as the bears.

The spiders just appear that way!

Attachments

• crazy stuff.mp4.zip
    823 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

first:

Dear Jan,
thank you for the very detailed instruction, but this approach relies on using QuickConnect that, like HKConnect, relies on third party servers (in this case Synology's servers) to allow the connection, and this is what I would like tom avoid: giving a third party the details about my IPs (ingoing and outgoing). In fact Synology's QuickConnect redirect all IPs request and thus knows all my IPs.

Instead, I have set up a VPN, using DS215j as a VPN server (using OpenVPN) and it works wonderful with all Synology's applications: DS File, DS Photo, DS Sureveillance: I can access all the services from my mobile when it is VPNed to the DS215j, in complete security (you need to have a certificate installed on your remote device to allow the conncetion, that is also encrypted).
What does not work is iVMS-4500.
It works if you are connected via WiFi+OpwnVPN but it does not if you are connected vis 4G+OpenVPN: it does not connect to the cameras atall (and it does not even seem to try to connect!). And this issue has come out with the latest version as it used to work in the past.
BTW: I can access the camera webpage when connected via 4G+OpenVPN, so there is something in the App that prevents that to happen!

I will then try to downgrade the iPhone App, even if I do not know if it is possible, expecially after installing iOS 12...
But the issue is definetly with iVMS-4500 and was wondering if anyone else experimented the same behaviuor.

Thank for your support.
ugo
Just for your info, I am running all cameras with the latest Firmware, using OpenVPN 3.0.2 on mobile (but I ma sure that OpenVPN works properly) and iVMS-4500 4.7.2 (build 20180821) with iOS12 on iPhone 6s.

I appreciate your concern about QuickConnect.... However, I have far greater respect for Sysnology's concern about my security, than HiKvision... Because I own a Sysnology NAS, this feature did not involve any extra cost to me....

Another Plus for the way it's presently connected now is: I can save Video based on Motion, along with Pictures... The HiKvision Camera only supports ftp of pictures.... Using the Surveillance System's software, I can record motion detected video capture---Even at 1920x1080 rates of 30 fps!

I must say that with your post, and StewartM's post, you two gave me the push to come to a conclusion to my issues! THANK YOU!

I now use DSfile to view, move, and delete pictures and videos, and DScam to view the camera and do manual records.... (I've always used Adobe CS6 suite to edit and process the pictures and video)....

Therefore, I am not using Any HiKvision software, other than the SDAP tool...

Based on this success, I'm watching for similar cameras for a second camera to be mounted on Garage....

Last edited:
Jan J, based on your positive feedback I'm purchasing a Synology NAS and installing Surveillance Station. Thank you for sharing your experience with it, I'll be referencing your posts along the way.

I bought the DS215J off EBay as new, unused. Take time to read manual. NAS has its own OS that isn’t hard to learn.
I spent $$ buying 2x NAS compatable drives and set it up as Raid 10, for some extra redundancy. Have had it over a year now. I am very happy with it, and had No Idea it could do security camera access.

Just for your information:
- Synology Surveillance DS 215j comes wth licences for 2 cameras only to connect to the Surveillance system. Any extra licence costs around 25€.
- Hikvision allows to connect as many camera as you want with no extra cost and provides a decent Video Management SW for free.
- Hikvision support confirmed that there is an issue to access cameras via 4G and iVMS-4500; they are working on it
- As a workaround, I now can use Hik-Connect App in visitor mode and connect to all my cameras via OpenVPN through any kind of connection.
- All DS 215j funcitons are avaialable remotely, thus including camera's files management and visualization: as a matter of fact, all cameras videos are saved on dedicated volumes on DS215j...

So everybody's happy now: JanJ can rely on his unconditional trust on Synology and I can live with my own personal doubts about providing my own data to third parties.

A good day, after all.

Regs
Ugo

I wasn't aware of the 2 camera limitation.... Which I realize is a limitation....
I've only got one HiKvision camera now... Looking for a 2nd...
BUT since (Surveillance System) does allow a 'Picture/ftp only' camera to record Motion Detect Video at 1080i/30fps, that saves money on a camera purchase vs. a full video capture camera.... and that savings on camera cost could be directed to more camera licenses.... Though I realize this is just something to justify the license cost.....

In my case.... because 90% of my needs is for wildlife viewing.. and I've successfully found a way to 'get around' the remote access issue 100% successfully.... I'm very happy with my decisions...

But I do agree with you that only 2 camera licenses is an issue... I'm truely sorry that I didn't know about it before suggesting it... and possibly sending you off on a wild goose chase....

If you come up with a secure, free, solution... Please post....

Also.... Because I'm using the NAS more and more for CPU intensive processes, I'm in the process (hope to be done in a month), of upgrading from a DS 215j to a DS 718+ with ram upgrade and larger storage drives....

Last edited:
It’s been a couple months, I thought an update might be good.

Seeing that none my higher quality cameras, DS-2CD2042WD-1, support video, but pics only, I’m using Synology’s Surveillance Station to capture1080i/30 motion detected video using SS’s motion detect (captured from the stream), and doing camera’s ftp pix transfers from all 5 cameras go to different directory. This also allows me to use camera mot detect settings for pix’s, and SS for mot detect set for video.
SS has a limitation of two free cameras, so I’ll stop at two outside POE cameras for “critters”.

If there is an ftp pix limitation in Synology products, I haven’t found one.

However, I did find a flaw in SS mot det record settings which they agreed to, and they put in a feature request to fix.
Basically it’s in their Post Record setting: if motion stops, recording goes into Post record, then stops.
Flaw is in post record: if motion starts again during post record, it does not extend recording.. Also, if motion continues at end of post record, that, too is ignored, or, Pre Record is ignored when next recording is sensed to start.
The Result: Gaps in recorded motion that adjustments in settings cannot fix.
As, If, and When a fix is made available, I’ll inform.

Anyway, thanks to all who have assisted me in my issues. On my second DS-2CD2042WD-I Camera I have made No Attempt to connect remotely via HiKvision software, whatsoever, as Synology’s DS Cam is a fantastic app on our phones!! DS-2CD2042WD-1 in US the latest/last firmware is V5.53.
Missed wishing you a Merry Christmas, but I’m in time for wishing you a Happy New Year!!!

Last edited:
Back