01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Latest HikVision Firmware for -I NVRs - new V4.21 (76XX, 77XX, 96XX NI-I)

The EU portal appears to have a new version of firmware available (V4.21.000 build190423) for the I-series NVRs - posted on the 3rd May. Has anyone tried using this?

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this, we were unaware of this new firmware. We haven't installed the firmware ourselves yet but I asked Hikvision support for release notes which you can find attached below.

Attachments

• External_NVR_V4.21.000 build190423_Release Notes.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 950
Dan,

This looks like a big update with some pretty interesting changes. I'd like to see your comments on a few of the more notable ones.

Attachments

• External_NVR_V4.21.000 build190423_Release Notes 7-5-19.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 801
Last edited:
Phil,

Can you explain the advantages of Item No. 5 "IP, Mac address black and white list" and how this might be used to improve security? Within the NVR/camera/home router environment, how would one utilize this new feature to prevent third party hacking attempts?

It allows you to pre-determine that only access from a certain IP address is permitted e.g. you (the owner's) PC.
You might also add your work PC, your installer's office IP address, etc.
It's a basic but effective method of denying access by hackers.
You can only access/edit if you visit from a known and listed IP address.

That's what I thought - great! I'm going to experiment with this feature tonight. Appreciate the input.

I tried this version this evening, but rolled back to 4.1.64. The issue I had is that I need a feature in playback that seems to be broken in the new release. I have some cameras set to record continuously but also two set to record on motion detection as well as continuous.

Then in playback mode I can select single camera view, click play and then use the dotted rectangle icon to select Motion - which displays red marks under the timeline to represent motion, and thus can scroll to the sequences where motion was detected. This is in the Web view of the NVR. This works in 4.1.64, but does not work in 4.21 - these red marks to signify motion do not appear for me.

Would be interesting to see if anyone else has the same issue with this new version.....

Could be a bug I guess.

Has anyone managed to test if the recordings as viewed in the web interface show red marks against movement in the timeline when using the new firmware as yet? For me this stopped working, hence rolling back.

I've got a separate thread about this but haven't really gotten any answers. My inquiry was slightly different (no markers using line crossing/intrusion detection) but it's the same principle. So to answer your question - no red marks in the web interface for me.

Last edited:
Did this just stop working for you in the latest NVR firmware, ie 4.21? I have reverted back to 4.1.64 and do see the red marks in the web interface again.

Clive, I just got clarification on this issue from the other security website. If you are continuously recording and have your alerts set only to motion, it should work. If you are having trouble with this now, it's something in the new firmware version.

On the other hand, if you are continuously recording and have your alerts set only to smart events (line crossing/intrusion detection) like me, it has never worked. There are threads going back years, up to the present, on the other website and it's been a recurring complaint.

Thanks @fullboogie I have just spent some time testing this in a few combinations. I upgrade the I series NVR recently purchased from Use-IP to 4.21 and confirm that motion events no longer show on recordings int he web interface, but do show as red marks on the NVR interface itself. Downgrading to 4.1.64 has restored the red marks in the web interface. All cameras are set to record continuously, and also with record on motion detection enabled. No 'Smart' events such as line crossing recording is configured.

Therefore this is something that works in 4.1.64 but is broken in 4.21

I wonder if the Use-IP team might be able to feed this back to Hikvision as a bug please? One for @Dan maybe?

Last edited:
Clive, I just got clarification on this issue from the other security website. If you are continuously recording and have your alerts set only to motion, it should work. If you are having trouble with this now, it's something in the new firmware version.

On the other hand, if you are continuously recording and have your alerts set only to smart events (line crossing/intrusion detection) like me, it has never worked. There are threads going back years, up to the present, on the other website and it's been a recurring complaint.
Omg I had always wondered why the coloured markers on the timeline never worked! I use smart detection. i’ve now turned on motion detection too and sure enough I get the pink ‘Alarm’ makers as CliveC writes, only on single camera view though. How crappy that after all this time they’ve never fixed his for Line Crossing or Intrusion.

Yes it only works on a single camera view, but useful if you need to watch recordings in sections on interest. In the new version of firmware 4.21 though this no longer works in the web interface. Hoping @Dan or another of the Use-IP team can log as a bug with Hikvision, as it works ok in 4.1.64

The EU portal appears to have a new version of firmware available (V4.21.000 build190423) for the I-series NVRs - posted on the 3rd May. Has anyone tried using this?

Link here: DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL
Hi
Yes I tried the update, wish I hadnt, think ill go back to an old version, I now have recorded files that skip and freeze, Hik- Connect causes the NVR to reboot every couple of days at the same time (midnight) I disabled Hik-connect and now no longer reboots, I now get sluggish performance using IVMS for playing back recordings. I am getting fed up with Hikvision, I may go back to firmware version say 3.99.0 or a version before this new interface. I could also display in 4k res on my big tele upstairs before this latest firmware ,not any more Have to run 1920x 1080 now otherwise I have a blank screen.

Hoping @Dan or another of the Use-IP team can log as a bug with Hikvision, as it works ok in 4.1.64

We have been in discussion with Hikvision tech support for the last few days, it took a while for them to understand the problem. Hikvision and a lot of other brands seem to have the presumption that most customers use direct monitors (this is why a lot of their guides focus on instructions for setting up with a direct monitor) and so I had to point out that the majority of the customers we serve use browser access and need the same event marker feature in playback that direct monitor users get. our UK representative has passed it on to Hikvision HQ, if a solution is slow coming we will chase it up.

Great thanks @Dan really appreciate it. Hopefully the fact it worked in 4.1.64 and doesn't in the latest version means it's not a bug that's too difficult to fix!

Hi
Yes I tried the update, wish I hadnt, think ill go back to an old version, I now have recorded files that skip and freeze, Hik- Connect causes the NVR to reboot every couple of days at the same time (midnight) I disabled Hik-connect and now no longer reboots, I now get sluggish performance using IVMS for playing back recordings. I am getting fed up with Hikvision, I may go back to firmware version say 3.99.0 or a version before this new interface. I could also display in 4k res on my big tele upstairs before this latest firmware ,not any more Have to run 1920x 1080 now otherwise I have a blank screen.

Strange - I have been running it for a couple of weeks now with no issues.

Hmmm - I moved a set of Posts commenting on this V4.21 firmware from the 'How To update your firmware guide' thread to this thread (as it was a more relevant conversation/location). Unfortunately, it's kind of inter-spliced all by date and made a bit of a mess :oops:
Sorry about that.
I'm sure there will be a new update along before long and we can start a new and tidy thread ;)

Back