01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Loft NVR view and control from TV downstairs

CCTVRONNIE

As per the title

I am looking to site the NVR (Hikvision) in the loft and view and control from my TV in the lounge on the ground floor. The loft is partially boarded (to get access to the NVR), but is not easily accessible (no fixed loft ladder) on a regular basis.

I have thought about running a long HDMI from the NVR down the chimney (not used) to the TV, but not sure this be good - is there a maximum run on an HDMI cable.
Once I have a feed from the NVR to the TV, I would like to be able to interrogate the NVR whilst viewing the lounge tv (a keyboard/mouse option?). Are there any solutions out there that would address my needs . Or is it a case of running a long HDMI, a long keyboard cable and a mouse cable?
My tv is a Sony Android TV
I hope I have clearly laid out what I am looking to achieve!
Many Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:
Hi @CCTVRONNIE

The 2 main options you have to achieve what you want are:

1. Direct monitor access with long HDMI & USB connections to the downstairs TV (if you search online most people suggest the max. length that HDMI can run before you start to get signal degradation is 50ft/15m, but there are HDMI Extenders out there that will help you push the HDMI signal further)
2. Setup a Mini Windows PC with HDMI, USB, and network connection and then access the NVR over local network using Internet Explorer on the Mini PC

We don't have a lot of experience with either of these options or with this type of remote viewing, so possibly another user here at the forum who has actually done a similar setup may be able to give more specific advice and possibly link you to some accessories that might make the setup easier.

CCTVRONNIE

You could always try & sideload the Hik-connect app APK file to your sony android TV providing the recorder is on you home internet network & so are the likes of your TV , i have an Nvidea TV sheild & it works fine on that

I'd definately use what you've got which is an NVR hooked up by ethernet.
You can then access the NVR from any laptop or device on your network.
If it has to be the TV, then stick a small PC to it or any device that has a web browser.

I’m going to have a similar problem. Is it not possible to connect the cameras to a Poe switch in the loft and then an Ethernet from the switch down to the nvr situated by the tv.

I’m going to have a similar problem. Is it not possible to connect the cameras to a Poe switch in the loft and then an Ethernet from the switch down to the nvr situated by the tv.
Yes but fan noise from the Nvr maybe a problem.

Back