01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Loss of video in iVMS-4200

Rick47

I've been running with iVMS-4200 for some years without issues. I recently fired up the app and no images appeared in either Main View or Remote Playback.
I spent some hours trying to find what had changed, but I could not resolve it. I decided to uninstall all and reinstalled the latest version 3.1.1.6_E.
To my dismay and after setting everything up (old saved config files don't work with this version), I have the same result.
I am running Win 10 64 bit and am up to date with all MS updates.
I can see a current still image from the cameras in Maintenance and Management (Camera edit) and bytes are being sent and received. I have configured for Sub Stream.
I can download the mp4 files from the Remote Playback section, even though I can't watch them in the app.
The screen seems slow to refresh and sometimes I can see web pages through the app or the previous screen of the app in the Main View section.
(See image)
Anyone any ideas?

ivms_shot.jpg

Hi Rick47

Our initial thought was that this would be an encryption issue with the camera, but the version of iVMS-4200 that you have installed should give a prompt for a stream key if this was the case like below:

1581593719157.png

This isn't an issue that we've seen before on the program, we're running the same version of the software as you and haven't seen any of these issues. Sorry I can't be of more help, hopefully someone else here might have experienced something similar before. If not you might need to enquire with whoever it was you purchased the equipment with.

Thanks for the input KyleMc, but the issue only presented itself recently. The previous version (2.5.1.7) was running fine for nearly 5 years and then one day - no images via iVMS-4200 . The strange thing is that I can see the images going via Internet Explorer, via an Android app on my tablet and through my TV, so nothing wrong with cameras. Just to be clear I only updated to this version in the hope that my problem would be sorted, but it is exactly the same. I'm wondering if it has something to do with a codec. I sometimes get a message when I close down, but it is only on the screen for a second or so. Looks something like 'Error Video.C.exe [407]'. Does that mean anything to anyone?
The other weird thing is that I can download the playback from the iVMS-4200, but I have to do it blind (right clicking on a blank yellow box). I can then view it using VLC - crazy!

Has anything else changed on your PC?
PC or laptop?
Wired or wireless?
New/updated Firewall/Anti-Virus/Security perhaps?
Can you test with 'shields down'?

You are the first and only to report this, so far.

Hi Phil, That has been my main source of investigation. I have Kaspersky and Malwarebytes and they occasionally update the .exe and databases, but I don't think my problem would have anything to do with them.
I have just installed the iVMS4200 on my laptop also running Win10 64 Prof (I stuck with the version I knew 2.5.1.7) and everything seems fine. At least I know now it's not the app, but some config issue on my PC. Finding it will be a more difficult process.
If I resolve it I'll post here again. But thanks to those who tried to help.

One final observation about the 3.1.1.6 version. After install I found a dog icon in my system tray linked to watchdog.exe. I have seen some worrying articles about watchdog so have renamed it, effectively disabling it. Anyone know if this is legit or a virus? Apparently it can be sneaked in under a codec. Neither Kaspersky nor Malwarebytes flagged it.
Disabled or enabled, the issues I have with iVMS are not affected.

It's interesting that you mention Malwarebytes as another forum user mentioned this in relation to live view not working in iVMS-4200 only a week or so ago:

Thanks Dan - you (your link) nailed it. Malwarebytes is/was the culprit. My Laptop doesn't have Malwarebytes, so no problem there.
I just quit the Malwarebytes app and then ran iVMS and all popped up.
It must be a recent update as I've had Malwarebytes for some years and it has not caused a problem before.
I will put in an issue with Malwarebytes and see what their response is.
I'm still getting a problem with screen refresh on one camera which may be another issue, but everything else looks ok.
Good to have forums like this. Thanks guys.

Update: I have been able to add the folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\iVMS-4200 Site\iVMS-4200 Client\Client' to the 'Allow List' and so far everything still works. Hope that helps others.

I have been working with Malwarebytes over the last week or so and have been sending logs to them for analysis.
My last mail from them read:
'Thank you for sending the file, it came through no problem. Our engineers are currently inspecting the cause of the false-detection and will work to have this resolved in an upcoming update without the need for the Allow List entry.'

Update: Malwarebytes have now corrected the issue from Component Package Version 1.0.859.
No exclusions should now be necessary and my iMVS-4200 runs fine without.

Back