01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Milesight 5mp minidome help

Chris501

Hi All,

So I've upgraded my system and purchased the MS 5mp Minidome to add to my Hikvision system (DS-7608NI-K2) however I seem to have run into a problem (down to lack of research I guess)

I only have Macs in the house as computers and the only POE source I have is my NVR.

My understanding is I need to change the IP address on my minidome before my NVR will pick it up? I can't see any way of me being able to log into it with the set up I have, am I correct in thinking I'll need to purchase a POE injector to do this or am I missing something really obvious?

Appreciate any help or advice.....

Thanks in advance

Plug it into the NVR and use a static route on the Mac to go via the NVR’s LAN interface.

Hi Magic919, many thanks for the reply. I have got it up and running and connected to the NVR, eventually.

So, sorry my next question to all. How do I access the camera set up page? All my Hikvision's pages come up by clicking the virtual host link but when I do this on the MS dome link I just get a 'cannot connect to the server' error. Again am I missing something obvious?

I also don't seem to have any sound (the main reason I went for this camera) but that maybe something in the settings that I cannot reach at the moment.

Anyone got any hints on connecting to a Milesight camera connected to a Hikvision NVR. I can disconnect and then log in manually but would be so much easier if I could use the virtual host or similar?

Many thanks

If you can’t use the virtual host, then a static route is the remaining option. I put one on my router and I can connect using any device.

If you can’t set one on your router, then setting one on the Mac is possible.

Hi Magic, thanks again for helping out with this. However, I have been trying to sort this out all day with no success. I don't actually know how to set up a static route, I have googled and tried but failed dismally.

I have Netgear Orbi routers and they do have the function to set up a static route but I've put what I thought were the obvious details in but I still get 'failed to open page' notice?

Screenshot attached?
Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 6.17.29 pm.png

The destination IP can be 192.168.254.0 to reach the whole subnet. If 192.168.0.81 is the IP of the NVR, then it should work. I’d suggest 1 as the metric.

Does it allow you to reach any of your other cameras on the NVR?

Yeah, you're correct with the addresses, it won't let me use 1 as the metric. It also won't let me access the other cameras.....

I've just had a thought though, the orbi isn't doing DHCP its just in AP mode. The Virgin Hub is doing all the DHPC, does that matter? Does the static route need to be on the virgin hub?

Can you just alter the default gateway on the Mac as a test? Use the IP of the NVR as the gateway.

Over wireless? If I do that i just get another device on your network is using your computers IP address message. It’ still logs into the NVR though?

Apologies, I did that wrong. So yes now I have just altered the default gateway. I can now access the NVR and the connected cameras through their direct IP addresses ie my Main cam is 192.168.254.13 and I can access this but my milesight of 192.168.254.13 still comes back with safari cannot open page?

I should mention as per another thread I've connected a patch cable from the nearby switch directly to a POE port on the NVR and still cannot see the milesight?

This is driving me nuts, thanks for all the help though Magic!

This is the the other thread: hikvision virtual hosat not working for me.

Last edited:
I’m not sure those two address differ. I guess one is wrong.

Ok, you’re making progress. Do you have a screen grab of the IP setup of the milesight? Maybe something differs there that causes routing problems.

Sorry, one should be 192.168.254.12.

This is where it now gets tricky though as the only way I can now access the MIlesight directly would be to cart the mac down the cellar. I do have this grab that I took originally but I don't think these are the final settings... if that makes sense? Or if anything in this pic helps?

IMG_0637.jpg

That default gateway of 192.168.5.1 doesn’t really fit your networks. If that is set now, then it would cause problems. You’ll probably find it left empty on your working cameras.

I can understand this is a bit tricky to fix. It’s like the puzzle with the fox, chicken and the bag of grain.

Ok, here’s a suggestion. Can you give the Mac a 192.168.254.x address where x = 200 or something else unused. Then try to hit the 192.168.254.12 address on the Milesight. This would work wired into the PoE switch and may also work on your LAN if you’ve run a cable between.

Right I’m in but connected the camera to my switch directly. Wouldn’t connect through NVR.

This is the settings on my Mac
C3FDAEBE-A75A-46D2-B7E8-0D76F2E46646.jpeg

And this is what I can see on the camera.
A7654EF7-4053-47DA-B662-E7FEB8ECE27A.jpeg

What can I do/change so I don’t have to go through this every time lol?

My cameras work with no default gateway. Can you just remove the one on the camera?

It says it’s a required field? If I add 0.0.0.0 I get a warning saying it’s not on the same network subnet as defined by the IP address. Do I want to save this configuration.

Back