01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Mist inside new turret camera?

Ben Bullen

Hello, I hope you can help/advise.

I purchased a number of HIK turret cameras a few weeks ago.

I’ve only just got round to starting to install them over Christmas. The first camera is now up and running but I’ve noticed that when it got dark outside the lens has fogged up with moisture on the inside.

Is this normal or a faulty camera/seal? Can I do anything about it?

Any advice most appreciated...

Many thanks,

Hello Ben,
I'm absolutely no expert, but, our electrician fitted a couple of Hikvsion cameras for us a few weeks ago. I finally tested one of them yesterday and had to unscrew it to change the angle. I noticed he had left the packet of "stuff" to soak up the moisture inside the dome with all the gubbings. The one I tested isn't misting up at all.
Nicholas

Hello Ben,
I'm absolutely no expert, but, our electrician fitted a couple of Hikvsion cameras for us a few weeks ago. I finally tested one of them yesterday and had to unscrew it to change the angle. I noticed he had left the packet of "stuff" to soak up the moisture inside the dome with all the gubbings. The one I tested isn't misting up at all.
Nicholas

That would be silica gel I suspect which is the common answer I seem to keep on finding on the internet. My turret cameras didn’t come with any packs in them though so not sure if I’m missing them or if they may already be inside the turret!

Might take it apart today and look inside...

Hi,
This should not happen.
You sometimes see this problem with cameras that have to be opened-up at installation - which if you perhaps install them on a damp day allows moisture to get inside.
As you know, the turret cameras are effectively a sealed ball in a yoke with a fly-lead that you connect to. You do not open them to install them.

As Nicholas says, Hikvision have traditionally included a small pouch of silica gel (beads) to dry-up any moisture inside a camera.
I don't know whether that is the case with the turret cameras, we'll check later this week.

Having said that it should not happen with turret cameras - it IS happening!
We saw one before Christmas - returned and currently on my desk (is fine indoors in dry/warm).
And have had two more reports from customers in addition to yours.

I have this problem with a new 8mp turret that I’ve just replaced in the same position where there was a 4mp. Misted up over night and has been like it now for 48hrs. Any ideas if this will clear on its own???

It would normally clear, but traditionally I would say it would clear within 24hrs of installation and running warm.
If it does not, you can try bringing it indoors and running it.
If that does not clear it, then the solution is to open/split the ball and place it in the airing cupboard for 24hrs.
But, if you are not comfortable with this, you may wish to speak with your reseller and discuss return/replacement instead.

We received a second returned 8MP turret for this symptom last week.
That customer told us that it did clear by itself before he took it down, but he wanted to swap it from a 6mm to a 4mm variant anyway.
He purchased three new 8MP turrets - no problems with the other two (2.8mm) that he fitted pre-Christmas, nor with the 4mm replacement that he picked-up after Christmas.

We have three here returned for the same symptom now.
All are 2385 turret cameras produced 12/2017 with 6mm focal length.
We have split the ball and checked, they do have a bag of silica gel within.
We'll take this up with Hikvision.

IMG_20190108_105115.jpg

i have two hikvision 8MP 2CD2385 turrets.
They both had condensation/mist over the lens once installed outside (a few days ago). It cleared after about a day.
One was alot worse then the other
Is this normal behaviour?

It's not unusual for mist to appear when first installed - inside the camera is warm / outside is cold.
It usually clears-up on its own in 24hrs.
As long as the silica gel bead bags do their job; attract and dry-up the moisture it's not a problem.

FYI, this cleared after a week or so of being up - on the roof soffit. So, I would say to anyone if they can wait that long it should clear - that was in cold weather too. I imagine it would clear a lot quicker if it was warmer.

Bought mine back in Oct 2017.
Finally put them up yesterday, having the same problem with all my cameras, DS-2CD2385FWD-I - 2.8MM, 4MM & 6MM

Options?

Bought mine back in Oct 2017.
Finally put them up yesterday, having the same problem with all my cameras, DS-2CD2385FWD-I - 2.8MM, 4MM & 6MM

Options?
The solution which worked for me was to take the camera down, bring it inside (in the warm), undo the SD card cover, power it up, leave it running for 24hrs, then close the cover and reinstall outside. No problems since!

The solution which worked for me was to take the camera down, bring it inside (in the warm), undo the SD card cover, power it up, leave it running for 24hrs, then close the cover and reinstall outside. No problems since!

Thanks Ben, i thought as much gathering from the posts on this forum.

20190427_215241965_iOS.jpg
20190427_215253523_iOS.jpg

Back