01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Mounting a DS-2CD2347G1-LU turret camera to a DS-1280ZJ-DM21 Junction box?

I'm having exactly the same problem getting the gland to tighten on the DS-1280ZJ-DM21 junction box. My cat6 cable is "only" 6.3mm, but I can't tighten the junction box nut up enough to get a tight seal on the cable.

I can't believe Hikvision design and sell something like a junction box, specifically supplied with a "water tight" gland, that can't be made to be water tight. I must be missing something! Exactly how thick are the cat6 cables in China?

View attachment 6632

In the photo, the nut is as tight as it will go. You could drive a buss through the gap!!!! I have no idea why a manufacturer would go to the lengths of providing watertight seals that don't work!

I just tested this on a cable and you're right. There's enough space to fit a ship through, even on an extra thick outdoor rated Cat6 cable. Surely this can't be right?

Annoyingly the gland it's a fraction too small to directly butt a 20mm piece of conduit into it too, only marginally.

What a pain, how to people seal these?

Last edited:
I just tested this on a cable and you're right. There's enough space to fit a ship through, even on an extra thick outdoor rated Cat6 cable. Surely this can't be right?

Annoyingly the gland it's a fraction too small to directly butt a 20mm piece of conduit into it too, only marginally.

What a pain, how to people seal these?
Replace the gland with another smaller entry 25mm compression gland if you're taking the cable in directly. Alternatively remove the gland, install a reducing bush - it has a 25mm external thread and 20mm internal thread. You can then use a smaller 20mm compression gland or pipe directly to it via a 20mm male adaptor (or flexible conduit)

Replace the gland with another smaller entry 25mm compression gland if you're taking the cable in directly. Alternatively remove the gland, install a reducing bush - it has a 25mm external thread and 20mm internal thread. You can then use a smaller 20mm compression gland or pipe directly to it via a 20mm male adaptor (or flexible conduit)
Available from any electrical wholesaler - YESSS, Rexel, CEF. The below is from CEF - also available in brass

Screenshot 2022-02-01 at 09.49.30.png

You could always do it properly! Just screw in the reducer and you can terminate the armoured with a CW20s gland.
I could but then it would be a lot more prep and I'm lazy. I'm an engineer by trade and I firmly ascribe to 'fit for purpose'. For what advantage will I gain from properly terminating the armour? I used to install 3 phase industrial motors fairly regularly in a previous job so I'm familiar with armoured cable by the way. I'm using the armour to prevent damage.

I have never understood why Hikvision manufacture all their cable entries with a BSP pipe thread!? :(

Reactions: Dan
I have never understood why Hikvision manufacture all their cable entries with a BSP pipe thread!? :(
Yes it's kind of strange. Most of the world has switched to metric and the US who haven't use NPT..... seems odd to not cater for either of your two largest markets.

Back