01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Mounting a DS-2CD2347G1-LU turret camera to a DS-1280ZJ-DM21 Junction box?

Carphone

Hi All,

Recently purchased a ds-2cd2347g1-lu camera and grabbed an eBay bargain for the junction box DS-1280ZJ-DM21. Was about to put it up but hit a problem.

Issue is the 3 outer holes (Marked on pic) don’t line up with the outer holes on my camera? Am I being stupid? Have I bought the wrong junction box (I am terrible at DIY lol )?

Thanks very much

Dan

Attachments

• 9E6AA781-DEFA-4EE2-B276-FB553D05F82F.jpeg
    9E6AA781-DEFA-4EE2-B276-FB553D05F82F.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 395
Vivotek AI Network Video Recorders
Figured it out - it does not attach to the junction box in the same way as if you wall mounted it directly. You have to loosen the lock screw to remove the camera entirely.

Then attach to the junction box using the rectangular inner points.

Could not find this dismantle step anywhere in any documentation (thanks Hikvision! )

Hope this helps someone

Dan

Attachments

• 5D2B7B8F-86DB-40DC-B0B9-FC648220541C.jpeg
    5D2B7B8F-86DB-40DC-B0B9-FC648220541C.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 469
I just registered to the site purely to say thanks! :)
I did the EXACT same thing! Bought two ColorVu cameras and two mounting boxes, and sat there scratching my head as to how you could possibly mount the cameras on them!

Glad I found this, as I was about to contact Hikvision to tell them that their website is incorrectly showing the wrong junction box on their website “related items” section!

will have another go at putting them up today. Cheers!

He he - glad it was not just me! Crazy they don’t explain this lol

So I managed to get them up on the wall ready for the cameras (thanks for that!) but I’ve now come across another issue. The cable clans in the junction box appears to be way too big to tightly grab the CAT6 cable to create a waterproof seal on the cable.

From what I can tell, the gland is 3/4” thread BSP, but having searched online I can’t seem to find any glands with a smaller entry that would really grip the cable?

Any suggestions? :)

From memory the exit hole from the junction box closes as you twist the connector to make a flush join to the cable - just keep twisting (I may have mis understood).

Yep it closes and the hole shrinks down, but not really enough to clamp on the cable.

the cat6 I’ve run down the wall to the junction boxis probably around 8mm diameter but the junction box gland (even when fully tightened to the max) only seems to shrink down to around 12mm diameter, so isn’t really grabbing it.

either my CAT6 cable just isn’t thick enough (although it’s rated as outdoor and a lot thicker than a standard network cable) or I need a gland in the junction box that is a narrower diameter.

Im going to have a search online this evening to see what I can find.

thanks for replying though, much appreciated:)

All the junction boxes have glands that are too big for the cable.

My first solution was to pass the cable through a bit of rubber hose that then allowed the gland to tighten around it.

My second that I believe is the right solution is to place the weather proof RJ45 connector that comes with the camera into the gland from the inside of the junction box and not worry that the gland hole around the cable is too big as the weatherproofing to the cable connection is done by the weather proof connector not the JB. So as long as you do this and make sure the JB has the gland facing down you're okay.

Thanks! Are these ones definitely BSP thread? Most of these adaptors I’ve come across seem to be the NPT thread

Thanks! Are these ones definitely BSP thread? Most of these adaptors I’ve come across seem to be the NPT thread
Not sure if they are BSP, Sorry. I think i have some in my lockup i can grab one over the weekend and check for you, if your not in a hurry.

If you wouldn't mind that would be great....in no major hurry, doesn't look like any sign of rain any time soon, so the water-tight seal isn't a major concern at the moment :)

thanks again

Q: Is this Dahua power supply suficient for this ColorVu camera?
Dahua PFM321D-EN 12V/1A Power Adapter

I'm having exactly the same problem getting the gland to tighten on the DS-1280ZJ-DM21 junction box. My cat6 cable is "only" 6.3mm, but I can't tighten the junction box nut up enough to get a tight seal on the cable.

I can't believe Hikvision design and sell something like a junction box, specifically supplied with a "water tight" gland, that can't be made to be water tight. I must be missing something! Exactly how thick are the cat6 cables in China?

20210916_165450.jpg

In the photo, the nut is as tight as it will go. You could drive a buss through the gap!!!! I have no idea why a manufacturer would go to the lengths of providing watertight seals that don't work!

Last edited:
Hi @milleniumaire

See my response in this other recent thread:

Just thought I'd give an update on the solution I came up with to ensure the cable entry point on the DS-1280ZJ-DM21 junction box was water tight.

Some figures first:

1. The cat6 unshielded cable I was using was a slim 6.2mm in diameter. I purposely chose a "thin" cat6 cable to make it easier to bend while running the cable from each camera back to the NVR. Also, I wanted to make it easier to fit the rj45 plugs (that's another story as I didn't really succeed on this).

2. Looking at the earlier photo I posted, the gland opening varied from 17mm when full opened and 8.5mm when full closed. The 8.5mm gland opening versus 6.2mm cable diameter wasn't therefore providing a watertight seal on the cable.

3. So, I needed a grommet that would have a hole of 6mm and an overall diameter between 8.5mm and 17mm, so it would fit inside the gland.

I found these:

61Ahkbs6KWL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

51VIAl++IgL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

I purchased a pack of 20 from Amazon for £3.99.

I would have preferred for them to be thicker to make it easier to locate in the gland, but it wasn't too difficult to position them so that the rubber seal of the gland squeezed the grommet.

Because they are a flexible rubber, I was able to push the slightly wider 6.2mm cat6 cable through them and they also squeezed tight when the gland was screwed down.

They appear to have done the job nicely and closed up the gland around the cable, hopefully making it watertight.

I also used the watertight rj45 cable connections that came with the cameras and used electrical tape on the unused power cable connectors just in case any water does manage to get into the junction box!

Back