01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Mounting camera to look down passageway

IanH

Hi
Is it possible to mount a turret camera like the Hikvision DS-2CD2385G1-I\/B 8MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera directly on a wall looking sideways down the side of the house or would I get issues with water getting in?

If it needs to be mounted hanging down using a wall mount is it possible to rotate the lens 90 degrees so that I can switch the vertical and horizontal fields of view?

Last question, is it possible to switch the Vert and Horizontal FoV with bullet cams?

Many thanks

Hi, the cameras is weatherproof so no worry. You only need so safe the cables and wires in a weatherproof box! When you install the camera, you can change the point of view before closing the glass cover over the camera lens. In Software from HikVision you can change the picture in 180° degree without problem.

The rotation is sometimes referred to as corridor view.
When I last tested it Hikvision's solution wasn't great.
You can mount it flat to the wall and orientate it as you suggest, but a wall mount arm will give you much better adjustability in achieving your desired view.
A narrow focal length e.g. 6mm or 12mm may work better for you than corridor view.

The rotation is sometimes referred to as corridor view.
When I last tested it Hikvision's solution wasn't great.
You can mount it flat to the wall and orientate it as you suggest, but a wall mount arm will give you much better adjustability in achieving your desired view.
A narrow focal length e.g. 6mm or 12mm may work better for you than corridor view.
So if I mount on an arm and rotate the lens 90 degrees and then presumably flip the image in the viewing software will this degrade the image? or is corridor mode something different?

Playing about with the Hikvision lens selector, 4mm or a variable at 3.6/3.8mm looks about right to detect someone climbing over a side gate at 9m away and then walking down the side of the house. But I think I still get better coverage if I flip the lens 90 degrees.

My query about mounting directly to a wall is because I think it would look less obtrusive but I wonder whether water would gather between the lens ball and the housing. Hanging down would seem likely to drain it more reliably.

Explanation by Axis:

That's strange. Why would rotating the lens stretch the image out?

When you activate Corridor Mode it is not the lens that is rotated it is the image, and so what was the height of the image is now the width and vice versa. This means that the short height of the image is being stretched out to fit the 16:9 width of the image, a way around this stretching effect is to change the aspect ratio which you view the image at. This is the point of corridor mode because it switches the ratio from 16:9 to 9:16 which combined with rotating the lens gives you a tall and narrow image perfect for corridors and alleyways. (changing the aspect ratio for live view from full screen to 4:3 will get rid of the stretching that you see in the above post)

Back