01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Mounting turret camera on vertical wall

emin-j

Hi guys, can Hikvision turret cameras be mounted on vertical walls ? I want a camera on the wall above my front door

Hi guys, can Hikvision turret cameras be mounted on vertical walls ? I want a camera on the wall above my front door

Yes, but depending on the wall and/or how you are planning to run the cable you may need to use a junction box, if it is quite a thin wall then you can drill a 2.5/3cm hole through the wall directly behind the cameras mounting position and then pass the cameras pigtail/fly lead (which is roughly 30cm) through the wall and then mount the camera straight to the wall with no accessories. If the wall is thicker or you plan to run your cable on the outside of the wall you will need to use a junction box to make the RJ45 connection and store that excess fly lead and then pass a smaller single cable through the wall or out of the gasket on the side of the junction box.

We don't usually recommend using turret as a front door camera because the low mounting position and strong 30m IR LEDs will white-out faces that come close to the camera at night. For door cameras, we usually recommend the Mini dome models like this one - Hikvision DS-2CD2545FWD-I 4MP Mini Dome Network Camera - as they have shorter (10m) and less powerful IR that will deal much better with objects at close range.

Thanks Dan, the wall is probably around 12” thick , I want the camera above the front door of the house looking over the cars on the driveway plus a car parked on the road at the end of the drive approximately 30 feet from the front door.

Thanks Dan, the wall is probably around 12” thick , I want the camera above the front door of the house looking over the cars on the driveway plus a car parked on the road at the end of the drive approximately 30 feet from the front door.

Yes, turret camera will be fine for that positioning as long as the camera is mounted above head height (roughly 3-4m high) as that will allow you to cover everything. 12" is close to the 30cm length of the cameras pigtail/fly lead so we would recommend using a junction box.

After doing a bit of research I’m leaning towards a dome camera , but which one would you guys recommend, I think probably a 2.8mm as the cars on the drive are only a couple of meters from the house and the two cars are side by side plus one car on the road which is around 10m from the house.

After doing a bit of research I’m leaning towards a dome camera , but which one would you guys recommend, I think probably a 2.8mm as the cars on the drive are only a couple of meters from the house and the two cars are side by side plus one car on the road which is around 10m from the house.

We would recommend either a 2145 4MP Darkfighter Dome Camera or the 2185 8MP/4K Dome Camera

We would lean towards the 4MP model for all-round day & night performance.

Back