01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Moving from Analogue to IP Cameras

Giraffe_UK

Hi Everyone,

I am advising one of my clients to migrate his existing analogue system to IP cameras. I support the IT infrastructure for my client, a multi-tenant building.
They currently have an NVR with 12x cameras connected over CAT5e and a converter at the rear of the NVR to coax.
A generous dedicated fibre optic link is available at 900Mbps/up/down.

We are quoting an Avigilon system with the following configuration:

6x Avigilon 2.0 MPX IR DOME (indoor) 2.0C-H4A-D1-IR-B

4x Avigilon 5.0 MPX IR Bullet (outdoor) 5.0L-H4A-BO1-IRB

7x Avigilon 5.0 MPX IR DOME (outdoor) 5.0L-H4A-DO1-IRB

1x Avigilon HD Intercom 3.0C-H4VI-RO1-IR

1x HD Video Appliance Pro — 24 Port 18TB VMA-AS2-24P18

1x ACC 6 Core license for up to 16 camera channels 16C-ACC6-COR

2x ACC 6 Core license for up to 1 camera channels 1C-ACC6-COR

As far as cabling is concern.... we will try to re-use existing CAT5e and new runs on CAT6. Our current CCTV guys will assist on this.
Before we explode the budget, I am trying to see where my client could save few thousands, without compromise quality/performance/security.

My points/concerns are:

1. NVR. Is the "HD Video Appliance Pro — 24 Port" VMA-AS2-24P18 my only option? As we will have 18 cameras. This will give us room for expansion. Could we use a smaller "HD VIDEO APPLIANCE PRO 16-PORT and combine with POE switch?
  2. Warranty. Are there any warranty issues if we install the system by ourselves? We are not an Avigilon partner but confident and familiar with all documentation, MCP and MCSE certified.
  3. Licensing. We will go for Core version. We don't require all the bells and whistles of higher versions. Are the licenses lifetime or do we require annual renewal?
  4. Support. If something goes wrong, will Avigilon deal end users, or we will need to go via a partner?
  5. Workstation. I am aware of the Workstation Control Centre for up 2 monitors HD-RMWS3-2MN-UK but looking at the PC specs could I just use a high spec PC I have on site with 2x high spec video card and monitors, load the Avigilon Control Centre Management Client Software? Or alternatively could we run everything via the web client/browser?
  6. Decoder..... If I include a 4-Port H.264 Analog Video Encoder with Audio Support "ENC-4P-H264" does that mean I could attach legacy cameras to HD VIDEO Appliance to live/recording/etc. Does it mean I will need additional licenses for legacy cameras?

I am sorry for so many questions but your observations, suggestion would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Giraffe

Hi,
We used to sell Avigilon, but they stopped us doing so as they wanted to only deal with Trade installer/integrators (you will not get support from Avigilon).

You need to be sure of a good relationship with your installer/supplier e.g. they should be able to answer these questions for you (as they are going to be your only route for supply & support - now and in the future).

I would not think that you need an NVR and Core licence software.
The software would normally run on a Windows server and IS the NVR.

Yes, you can probably build your own workstations.

Yes, the encoders allow you to add analogue cameras AND (I assume it is still the case) a 4-port encoder adds four analogue cameras but only uses x1 video licences.

Back