01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Need help with my CCTV motion/event detect settings

s0ul1984

Hello and welcome to my thread.

First I would like to say thank you that you've decided to help me.

I need some help on setting up the motion detect on my camera or maybe I have to do something else which I am not aware of. I have Hikvision DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL camera and have setup motion detect to record only when something happens. The problem is this. If there is something happening on the left side of the screen and then something happens on the right side, the detection seems to only accept one kind of movement and then stops recording the other. An example. On right side yesterday, there was my neighbour doing things on his stairs, the detection happened then another neighbour came on the other side of the road. They both were detected but my next door neighbour was missed what he did, the camera only recorded the motion from the other guy on the other side of the road. I had no idea what my neighbour did. The recording jumped to 10 minutes later when a car passed. Imagine if someone does something on my door and the camera is busy with something else on the other side of the road and misses the happening next to my door. Should I change from motion to event or increase the motion detection from 80 to 100.?

Once again, any help is welcome. Thank you.

Hi @s0ul1984

Make sure that you have installed the latest firmware on the camera, which may improve things slightly:
How-to: - Part 8: How do I upgrade the firmware on my Hikvision device?

If the camera has a (C) at the end of the model number (found on the packaging or on the camera itself), then this is the latest - V5.7.1_211009

If it does not have the (C), then this is the latest - 5.5.800_210628

However, the likelihood is that it is one of many problems with using the event-based recording option. We always advise against recording this way and instead to use continuous recording - it is far from perfect and cannot be completely relied on, so there is always a risk that the camera will not record important periods.

If you record continuously, then you will still be able to quickly search for event periods using iVMS-4200:
I see where you are now. With Event Playback selected and the camera highlighted, click the red search and it should populate the timeline with the markers and start playing.

View attachment 4756

View attachment 4758

Hik-Connect allows you to do this too:
Hik-Connect Help - Event Playback

Hi @s0ul1984

Make sure that you have installed the latest firmware on the camera, which may improve things slightly:
How-to: - Part 8: How do I upgrade the firmware on my Hikvision device?

If the camera has a (C) at the end of the model number (found on the packaging or on the camera itself), then this is the latest - V5.7.1_211009

If it does not have the (C), then this is the latest - 5.5.800_210628

However, the likelihood is that it is one of many problems with using the event-based recording option. We always advise against recording this way and instead to use continuous recording - it is far from perfect and cannot be completely relied on, so there is always a risk that the camera will not record important periods.

If you record continuously, then you will still be able to quickly search for event periods using iVMS-4200:

Hik-Connect allows you to do this too:
Hik-Connect Help - Event Playback
Hi and many thanks for your reply.

My camera does not have the C and I have it up to date with the firmware. Actually I want to continuous recording but it's taking so much space. I have a 128gb of MicroSD. and It's not even recording for a day. Is there a way I can record from camera to a SSD via router. My Router has a USB 3.1 which is fast enough to record 4k videos. I looked online but many speak about NAS box or NVR. Is there a way I can setup my router to allow camera to drop the recording on the SSD via USB. My router is ASUS RT-AX82U 5400 Dual Band.

Thank you once again.

This isn't really events playback though? It's more like notified events playback? In other words to see all events you would have to have them all sent to your mobile device as notifications?
You will need to enable notifications for the camera (or NVR) within the camera's settings on the app (by touching the hexagon icon for the device), and these will be listed on the app's "notification" page. However, you can disable push notifications on your phone's notification settings for Hik-Connect if you don't want your phone to notify you of every trigger, and still see these events in the event playback.

Or, under most cameras' / NVRs' notification settings, you can set them to "receive events but not push notifications", which will also work, and also allow you to receive push notifications from other devices in the app if you would like them.

Is there a way I can record from camera to a SSD via router. My Router has a USB 3.1 which is fast enough to record 4k videos. I looked online but many speak about NAS box or NVR. Is there a way I can setup my router to allow camera to drop the recording on the SSD via USB. My router is ASUS RT-AX82U 5400 Dual Band.
As far as we're aware this isn't possible, I'm afraid. Your best options are to either use a larger microSD card (up to 512GB, which should give you a few days of continuous recording), or an NVR or NAS device as you say, which will allow you to store footage for much longer.

@Kyle You've got me thinking about this some more now. I see a setting for "receive events but not push notifications" in the iOS app but of course that would apply to everything as I only have the one device set up.

However, this brings me to another question. The app icon often shows a count that is many more than the actual notifications that's I've received or that are shown under notifications in the app. Once I've opened the app the number resets.

So what are these numbers referring to? They aren't events shown in the events section in playback as far as I can see. Where are they and what are they?

You will need to enable notifications for the camera (or NVR) within the camera's settings on the app (by touching the hexagon icon for the device), and these will be listed on the app's "notification" page. However, you can disable push notifications on your phone's notification settings for Hik-Connect if you don't want your phone to notify you of every trigger, and still see these events in the event playback.

Or, under most cameras' / NVRs' notification settings, you can set them to "receive events but not push notifications", which will also work, and also allow you to receive push notifications from other devices in the app if you would like them.

As far as we're aware this isn't possible, I'm afraid. Your best options are to either use a larger microSD card (up to 512GB, which should give you a few days of continuous recording), or an NVR or NAS device as you say, which will allow you to store footage for much longer.
Thank you very much for the clear answer. I really respect that. I am thinking to buy a NAS box at some point this month. I'm also looking at some forums where they say they are turning their usb into nas. I mean their router usb with a hd connected to it, turning it to nas. Any idea if that actually works for hikvision cctv?

Thank you very much for the clear answer. I really respect that. I am thinking to buy a NAS box at some point this month. I'm also looking at some forums where they say they are turning their usb into nas. I mean their router usb with a hd connected to it, turning it to nas. Any idea if that actually works for hikvision cctv?
You may be better off buying an NVR. This will allow you to install a large or multiple Hard Drives to store you recorded footage. An NVR will allow you configure the same settings available in the Camera GUI & often more functions can be acheived via NVR.
In an attempt to conserve Storage Space. quite often i will configure Motion Detection to Record images as this is probably the most reliable with the exception of Continuous. However in the "Linkage Action" tab the only box i check is under "Trigger Channel" only the channel for the specific Camera. This ensures recording of motion. I will use either "Intrusion Detection" or "Line Crossing" as a means of logging events, by checking "Notify Surveillence Centre" under the Normal Linkage column in the "Linkage Action" tab. this will then provide a list of events where the Line was Crossed or Intrusion Detection area was entered in the Alarm and Exception tab of the NVR, using this feature as a referrence point to events.

You may be better off buying an NVR. This will allow you to install a large or multiple Hard Drives to store you recorded footage. An NVR will allow you configure the same settings available in the Camera GUI & often more functions can be acheived via NVR.
In an attempt to conserve Storage Space. quite often i will configure Motion Detection to Record images as this is probably the most reliable with the exception of Continuous. However in the "Linkage Action" tab the only box i check is under "Trigger Channel" only the channel for the specific Camera. This ensures recording of motion. I will use either "Intrusion Detection" or "Line Crossing" as a means of logging events, by checking "Notify Surveillence Centre" under the Normal Linkage column in the "Linkage Action" tab. this will then provide a list of events where the Line was Crossed or Intrusion Detection area was entered in the Alarm and Exception tab of the NVR, using this feature as a referrence point to events.
Hi and thanks a lot for the reply.

Yes, I am convinced that a NVR is better than having the cameras on their own. Will have to get a NVR that has good support for my camera.

Thank a lot for the great support.

Any I-Series NVR will work well for you, you should avoid using a K-Series model with high resolution or AcuSense cameras like your one.

This is the most affordable I-Series model - DS-7608NI-I2-8P

I have my NVR recording on Smart Events, but given I miss a few moments before and after the Smart Event, I am going to enable continuous recording and have any Smart Events send a push notifications to my phone.

I think this is the best of both worlds.

I have my NVR recording on Smart Events, but given I miss a few moments before and after the Smart Event, I am going to enable continuous recording and have any Smart Events send a push notifications to my phone.

I think this is the best of both worlds.
That's what I did as well. It's much better.

Back