01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Need some questions answered please

Mike A

Hi

Looking for some help and advise, I’ve had my own CCTV installed on my property now for about 10 years, recently updated my old system courtesy of maplins going into receivership with a Lorex 8 channel DVR and 8 HD cameras with a 6TB hard drive, just found a job lot of IP camera going cheap,8 of them. Just purchased a 16 channel DVR ajhua make, want to now hook up all the 16 cameras to the one DVR is this possible, and if so how ? Someone used the work PoE switcher, not sure what this is and what is does.

Any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Mike A

NVR = Network Video Recorder - you connect IP or network cameras to this, it will have RJ45 network ports on the rear.
DVR = Digital Video Recorder - you connect analogue cameras to this. Analogue CCTV cameras use co-axial cable.

Thanks for your reply !
Can I hook up IP cameras to a DVR or can I convert the IP cameras so that they can be plugged into the DVR using BNC connectors
I have a 16 channel DVR with BNC outlets and 16 cameras ! However 8 cameras are BNC connectors and 8 cameras are IP cameras is this possible to do ? If so how ??

many thanks

Mike

I'm no expert. It seems possible but may be dependent on your Dahua DVR
Google is your friend. This is just one search result =

'Hybrid' DVRs will allow you to add a couple of your IP cameras to your general network LAN, then program your DVR to find them at those IP addresses.

However, there are normally strict limitations e.g. you may be allowed to add no more than two IP cameras to your DVR for example, and typically there will be a maximum resolution cap for the IP cameras that you add (for example max 2x cameras up to 4MP max. resolution).

It is fraught with pitfalls.
Hybrid recorders are THE most expensive recorders.
Therefore, we do not recommend them / mixing analogue and IP-based camera systems.

Back