01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Network connectivity risk?

ekoku

Hi-I'm exploring various CCTV options for my home ...complete newbie here so apologies for the ignorance in advance!

I appreciate the huge growth in demand for IP cameras in recent years and have read a few posts and the articles on here. I still however don't see why one would install an IP system vs a hardwired system connected to local DVR -from a connectivity perspective i.e. there is always a chance that my home internet connection might 'cut out' even for a few hours in a day......so why take that risk at all? Apart from the bother of wiring etc I don't see an issue- or am I missing something?!!

The Internet connection being down doesn’t stop the NVR recording.

Okay thank you, I thought NVR meant the cameras connect remotely to it over WiFi.

There are a few Wi-fi cameras, but I expect most of us are running network cables. Partly for reliability, it also to get the power to the camera over the network cable.

There are some cameras that record ‘to the cloud’ and those are at risk if the Internet connection drops. They could mitigate this with a storage card on board. I would regard these as less serious CCTV, great for checking a relative is ok, or maybe the dog.

interesting you mention you regard this as ‘less serious CCTV’-apart from the hardware and various disadvantages of storing in the cloud-would you say features like person detection is actually better with these smart phone friendly companies like Nest, Canary, Arlo etc rather than more serious commercial CCTV like say Hikvision?

It varies by brand and point in the cycle:
Nest is quite good
Arlo not so good
Top-end Pro e.g. Bosch & Avigilon are very good

HikVision are about to release improvements with their new Accusense NVRs.

Back