01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Network unreachable - Axis 241S on Hikvision NVR

Lainy

Hopefully this isn't a duplicate - my first post disappeared after I edited it.

I have a Hikvision HIKVISION DS-7604NI-K1-4P NVR and a HIKVISION DS-2DF8836IX-AEL Dome camera working well but I need to add an analogue BNC camera connected through an Axis 241S Video Server but I cannot get the NVR to recognise it on the network when plugged in to the IP NVR port adjacent to the dome camera.
I've done a factory reset of the Axis and if I plug it in directly into my PC and use the Axis IP utility it appears & if I double click it I get video feed and the ability to create a security certificate (?), change the IP address, set a logon & password etc. in my browser but transferring these values to the NVR camera setup and selecting 'Axis' Protocol from the options I constantly get a 'network unreachable' message on the NVR and no video feed.

I'm not that experienced with network cameras so I'm wondering if what I'm trying to do is actually possible or if I'm using the wrong IP address or some other config setting in the NVR camera setup that I need to change. I've tried swapping from DHCP to 'Use the following IP address' with no joy.

Has anyone any suggestions I could try?

Thanks

Axis IP.png
Axis Utility.png

Hi @Lainy

Am I right in thinking you have the 241S Video Server plugged directly into your NVR?
If so, do you have any more luck if you connect the 241S to your network another way, such as through the router's ethernet ports?

Hi Kyle,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes I have a Ethernet cable from the 241S to one of the four Ethernet camera ports on the Hikvision NVR. I’ve also tried it in the NVRs other ethernet port, but neither with the NVR picking it up. If I plug the 241s straight into my pc ethernet port I can get the video stream in a browser so that would appear to be working.

Hi @Lainy

It is unlikely you will be able to connect a 3rd-party device like this AXIS server directly to the Hikvision NVR because the NVR uses its own subnet IP range (192.168.254.xxx) and the AXIS server out the box will not use this range. For best compatibility and to maintain the ability to access all the settings of the AXIS camera we would recommend you install a separate network switch on your local network and connect the server to that switch so that the device is visible on the same local network as the NVR and can then be added to the NVR using the servers local IP address.

Hi @Lainy

It is unlikely you will be able to connect a 3rd-party device like this AXIS server directly to the Hikvision NVR because the NVR uses its own subnet IP range (192.168.254.xxx) and the AXIS server out the box will not use this range. For best compatibility and to maintain the ability to access all the settings of the AXIS camera we would recommend you install a separate network switch on your local network and connect the server to that switch so that the device is visible on the same local network as the NVR and can then be added to the NVR using the servers local IP address.
Thanks Dan,

Could I not change the Axis IP address to a static IP in the range used by the Hikvision NVR, say 192.168.254.99 for example ?

potentially, but the NVR may not recognise the server as a device that can be connected to one of it's IP camera channels. Also, as said above even if you can connect it directly you will be limited to the control over the camera you have because the Hikvision NVR will not be able to control any of the specific settings of the AXIS camera or the server.

Back