01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

New CCTV System - newbie advice needed

Padraig

Hello

Looking for some advice on what combination of equipment to opt for please. I'm new to all this, so go easy on me!

It's for our house that's a standard rectangular shaped two storey - approx 45' wide and 35' deep. Driveway to the front of about 60' or so. I was thinking of an outdoor camera in each corner under the eaves and for convenience POE. Preferred style is dome and ideally I'd like it to operate as well as possible at night time. The eaves are high enough up so I shouldn't have thought vandal-proof to be necessary but it'll need to be weather proof with our lovely Irish weather! In terms of recording, I'd like it to be happening all of the time, continously. I have a NAS already but if an NVR is specific to the purpose (and better) then I'd happily use it instead. To run power to the cameras, I'd probably put in a POE switch/router, unless you have a different view.

All the kit, would ideally be sited in the attic/loft as I would easily access the four corners from there. I've power up there already so presumably it's just a single run of CAT5 down to my broadband router on the ground floor, is all that's needed ? What about live monitoring then ? It'd be great to have a screen in the kitchen or on the landing with the cameras available on them. How would this work ?

Final question. Would I be better putting up two PTZ cameras instead on diagonal corners of the house or am I barking mad ?!

In terms of budget, I don't really have one in mind. I realise that its not going to cost me 500 quid so I'm prepared to invest now in putting in quality kit as opposed to rubbish that will cause me endless grief.

Would be eager to hear your advice and recommendations.

Many thanks
Padraig.

Hi Padraig,

Thanks for the post.

You seem to have a good understand of the IP cctv systems so i won't bore you with re-explaining anything.

From what i can see i would say that a HikVision 3mp dome camera system would suit your needs. These camera are great from price-point/performance, Night vision is very good, POE cameras, Vandal and weatherproof cameras. Search in the webshop for '2132'.

A dedicated NVR would be ideal for this type of system. HikVision offer an 7608-NI 8 channel NVR that has its own POE injector build in so cameras can be pluged straight into the NVR. You can also connect a monitor and mouse directly to the NVR via VGA or HDMI cable.

You would need 5 CAT5 cables, 4 for the cameras to the NVR and 1 from the NVR to a network access port e.g. router, access point ect..

As for a PTZ camera i would stay away from them as they are usually a lot more pricey and are only really effective if the camera has an operator 24/7.

Thanks,

Harri
Use-IP

Harri is absolutely right. The reason for not to go for a PZT camera is it a fixed camera, high storage cost , this works poorly with IP networks. In case you want this camera itself you must install an IR lamp along with this. The above problems which I mentioned is due to low light. You’ll get an IR illuminator for approximately $189. IR illuminator has the capability to manage the light. The installation is also quite easy. And not only that there is sale on IR illuminator.Check the news here. So you may get it in cheap rates.

Back