01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

New HikVision User - Stuck on mobile app - Create Verification Code

Snaffy

Hi, just to say, this is my 1st post here, I've been reading advice here for a while, and after buying some less than amazing IP Cams, I thought I would follow advice and purchase just a single HikVision camera to start with, do some testing, before deciding to progress.

For this testing I was wishing to simply use the Hik-Connect App, and get a feel for image quality, viewing angle, IR light coverage etc.

So, today I recieved my 1st Camera. A HikVision Turret DS-2CD2385G1-I 2.8mm

Installed the App on my Android phone, created a Username & Password, received the verification code on my phone, make a device password, and was all looking positive until I hit this:

772ba0ecdc17465120f953b3d8bb5d54.png

So it says "Create" Verification Code
Ok, so I thought up another unique code for this and got the following:

836b5d6bf10afa23ac11f2299351e822.png

I did some Googling and it appears there used to be this code on a sticker on the unit, but that's not there anymore.
And something about new devices as you to create a code?

I've tried various codes I already made, and anything off the box (serial no etc) but nothing works.

I'm rather stuck, as it appears to be asking me to create a code, but won't accept anything I enter.
I did read on the App store someone else saying something similar.

Can anyone please advice a total HikVision Starter/Novice, what I can try to get over this.
Even if it's using my PC to connect instead?

Many thanks, as I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment.

Have you created an account on the Hikvision website yet?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes, after getting stuck and not being able to move on, I went to this site:
www.hik-connect.com

Tried putting the account details I had created on the mobile app, but it did not recognize them, Not really sure why, but anyway, I made a new account on that site. Added details, email etc, and seemed to be ok.
Did not get anywhere though as I clicked on Device Management,

At the top right is a box which says: "Device Serial No., Device Domain" and an ADD button to the right of that.

If I click ADD, then type in my serial No. where is says Add Device and then Search, it just says "Device Cannot Be Added"

If I'm honest, I don't see how it's going to find my camera here from that web page, but then this is all new, and I'm lost/stuck :(

I'm not sure if there is a number somewhere I need to find somehow, or I need to create a new verification code (which is what the mobile app seems to be asking) but then rejects anything I enter.

:(

Hi @Snaffy

it can be confusing sometimes and people often encounter problems if they try to add straight to Hik-connect out of the box.

We usually recommend that people set the camera up with a browser first, then add the device to the web portal, and you should then see the device on the Hik-connect app. The steps to do this are below:

1. Find the camera with SADP and make sure it is activated
2. Browse to the cameras IP address with Internet Explorer and login
3. Go to Configuration > Network > Advanced Settings > Platform access and make sure Hik-connect is enabled and a verification code is set (this can be the same as the cameras password although I don't think they will let you use special characters)
4. Login to the Hik-connect portal using the same login details you used on the app
5. Click add device and enter the cameras serial number

This will be why you were getting the error code when asked for the verification code as this is set by the user in the Platform access settings before you try and add it to the app.

Make sure before you try to add the device to the web portal that you have deleted any trace of the device from the Hik-connect app on your phone as it may not add if it thinks the device is already connected.

Hi @Snaffy

it can be confusing sometimes and people often encounter problems if they try to add straight to Hik-connect out of the box.

We usually recommend that people set the camera up with a browser first, then add the device to the web portal, and you should then see the device on the Hik-connect app. The steps to do this are below:

1. Find the camera with SADP and make sure it is activated
2. Browse to the cameras IP address with Internet Explorer and login
3. Go to Configuration > Network > Advanced Settings > Platform access and make sure Hik-connect is enabled and a verification code is set (this can be the same as the cameras password although I don't think they will let you use special characters)
4. Login to the Hik-connect portal using the same login details you used on the app
5. Click add device and enter the cameras serial number

This will be why you were getting the error code when asked for the verification code as this is set by the user in the Platform access settings before you try and add it to the app.

Make sure before you try to add the device to the web portal that you have deleted any trace of the device from the Hik-connect app on your phone as it may not add if it thinks the device is already connected.

Thanks, this looks great, I've downloaded the SADP program, and yes the camera is activated, but the Hik-Connect was not enabled.
I've ticked that, and set a 12 character password for it.
(was all looking good) :)
Then it seems to need to press MODIFY bottom right to actually set the changes.

I did this, and was then asked for my ADMIN Password.
Was not quite sure if they were using the same terms all the time.
So tried entering my DEVICE password. That did not work.
Then tried using the Password I created using the Hik-App (username/password) last night, and that didn't work.

I've only got 1 try left :(

Before I run out of tries, Any ideas, where/how I create this ADMIN password that SADP is asking for.

Oh, and if I type the IP address into IE, like 192.168.1.64 (as an example) I just get a search result on IE.
But the camera is active according to SADP.

As I said, It looks like I don't yet have a ADMIN password.

If you are referring to the ADMIN password box in SADP then this is always the password of the device you are modifying, if this doesn't work then you will need to reset your password. (we will only perform the password reset if you purchased from us, if you didn't you will need to contact your reseller and if you can't do that then your only option is to hard reset the device)

The browser issue is strange, do you know the IP address of your router? Is it the same range as the cameras? (e.g. 192.168.1.xxx)

If you are unsure of your networks IP range you can use tools on the PC to find your network range, if you do find that your IP range is different to the cameras default IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.5.xxx) then this will be why you cannot access via a browser and you will need to fix the password issue so that you can change the cameras IP address to match your local network.

If you do decide to go the route of a hard reset then we would recommend that you follow the instructions in our forum megathread to make sure you activate the camera correctly using SADP, the most important things are to make sure the cameras IPv4 Gateway address matches the routers IP address and that the devices IP address is on the same range as the router.

Thank you.
After a couple of wasted hours this evening, I'm actually wondering about contacting the Guinness book of records, to see if anyone has yet set a record for how far they can throw a HikVision Camera from a household window, as I'm pretty near to attempting such a challenge! ;)

I'm aware Hikvision are not meant for a typical home user, but boy I've never seen such a mix of apps wanting multiple usenames and passwords all over the show in my life.
I think I've created more passwords for this one device than anything ever :)

Ran the mini CD which came with it tonight, which has the SADP tool on it, together with IVMS which, whoo hoo, was another username and password :)

Anyway, that was looking hopeful. My camera was listed in IVMS, I gave it a Nickname, Username and Password
And it looked promising, but there was no view from the camera.

Something is odd..... My Mesh Wifi always puts up an alert when any new device, Wired or Wifi joins my network, but it's never done it for this camera yet, which feels odd.

One thing I feel is a issue if my network is using a 192.168.68.1 LAN IP.

Filly admit, I'm no network expert by a million miles, but I had hoped, this would be a case os setting up usernames and passwords and I'd at least get something working, then I could learn the finer points as I went.
But so far zilch,

The sticking point seems to be the ADMIN password in SADP.
I've literally, over time, typed in every single password I've made during this process and it always says wrong password.

Now I read about needing to send off codes to hikvision. Do I need to do that even if I use the reset button in the camera?

Sorry if this is all coming over a bit negative and a bit of a rant, but it's late, and I've pretty much given up right now :(

Shame as I was looking forward to seeing just how nice HikVision was given all the reports I've read on here.

If I can hard reset the camera (button next to SD card slot) wipe everything and start again, I'm happy with that :)
It's just this dam admin password bit.....

Using the hard reset button on the camera will factory default the device so it will appear inactive on SADP and require you to set a new password.

Once you have reset and set a new password for the camera in SADP you will then want to do the basics and make sure the camera has its network information set to your network range, so you can either manually change the gateway address to your routers address and the IP address of the device to a free address on your IP range (192.168.68.100) or you can tick DHCP and click modify to allow the camera to automatically assign the correct gateway and an available IP address.

But if you do use DHCP make sure to untick DHCP after it has found an address to use because if you leave DHCP enabled whenever the power cycles or the camera reboots the camera may be assigned a new IP address and this can cause all sorts of problems, if you untick DHCP it will stay fixed to the IP address it has found.

Once the device has an IP address you can use this in a browser to login to the camera and set up platform access as I described in my earlier instructions.

Thank you, I very much appreciate all your help and advice, I'll have another crack at this when not too late at night.
Apologies for my semi ranting of the last post, it was just due to frustration of not being able to progress :)
Again, thanks.

Little update.
Having hard reset the camera, and following this forums tutorial about using SADP to activate, etc.
I have moved forward :)

Given the Camera a Password and created a Hik-Connect verification code.

The camera is activated, it's IP address has been modified my my network? to pull into into the correct range?
And my mesh network put up a notification that a new device had joined the network. So that's a good improvement on where I was before :)

For some reason I can't get Hik-Connect to turn of, as I get this odd message when I try to enable it.

058f051f8ddb9ddf13b0431be22669bc.png

Bit of a puzzle, but hopefully there is a way around that.

My next, and hopefully final? hurdle is:
I can now type in the new assigned IP address to the old IE browser:

And I'm presented with a enter your Username / Password prompt.

I've already set up Hik-Connect on the web, and can log into that, but that username/pass does not work for this new box to access the camera.

Before I mess up, is there a place I should go to set up the username/password to access this new page.
Or should I use some of the passwords I have already set up for this particular camera?

Many thanks

==========UPDATE (too late time for bed!========

Sheer fluke, after some googling, I thought let's try ADMIN for the name and the password I used for the camera, and that was it.
Had to install some add-in for IE, but after that was done. HORAAAAAAAAY I have a picture finally after all this time.

I know this is just the 1st step, but at least now I know it works :)
And following this, I can repeat this again, now I know the order to do things in.

Still puzzled about the Hik-Connect error shown above.
I did use quite a few non alphanumeric characters in my camera device password, but I only used A-Z and 0-9 when I created the Hik-Connect verification code.

Any thoughts most welcome :)

At least now I'm moving forward and don't feel so bad :)

Thank for the assistance up to now, I'd be lost without this.

Last edited:
Hi Snaffy

Well done for finding workarounds for most of the problems yourself :)

Whenever there's issue to do with connecting a device to Hik-Connect, it's usually a result of the wrong network settings being entered on SADP. Double check all these match your network, is the gateway address definitely correct? Does enabling DHCP make a difference?

Could you attach an image of the network settings without the error message so everything's visible?

Hi again Kyle
Just to say again, I thank you so much for your continued help trying to get me thru these initial stages :)

From what you said in your last post, I can't see anything obvious that's wrong.
However, as per your request I have taken some screen grabs.

I did multiple grabs and stacked them as it's a l-o-n-g sideways list in SADP :)

I tried enabling DHCP (not sure if I wanted it on anyway) and I can set that on and off successfully (I set it back off again after trying)
I also tried again to enable Hik-Connect and it throws up that error in my last image.
It throws up the error if I try enabling it on it's own, or at the same time as enabling DHCP.

Please see below all the info your requested.
Welcome any suggestions/thoughts.

For reference, all I have done is Factory reset the camera, Ran SADP, set up the device password, and activated it.
Also able to view live feed, and fiddle! with various settings via Internet Explorer.

I have set up a Hik-Vision account here the other day: 404
But can't do anything with that yet as can't see/add any devices, but not worried about that yet :)

SADP-Settings-1.jpg

SADP-Settings-2.jpg

Can you login to the camera using Internet Explorer on a PC on the same network?
NB Internet Explorer NOT Edge (the blue 'e' icon with the gold flash.
If you just type the camera's IP address (192.168.68.155 from the above image) into the browser address bar you should be prompted to login.

Can you login to the camera using Internet Explorer on a PC on the same network?
NB Internet Explorer NOT Edge (the blue 'e' icon with the gold flash.
If you just type the camera's IP address (192.168.68.155 from the above image) into the browser address bar you should be prompted to login.

Hi Phil, thank you for the reply.

Oh yes, that's fine.
I managed to get that working last night :)
I can log into ye-olde Internet Explorer fine, see the live view and fiddle with settings :)

What I cannot do is enable Hik-Connect in SADP, as whenever I tick that option, and press Modify, I get the blue error box pop up, as shown in my earlier post #11 above.

Can you please upload a screenshot of your Network Settings page from the Configuration area when logged-in with IE?

Can you please upload a screenshot of your Network Settings page from the Configuration area when logged-in with IE?

Any good?

Just to note I've not changed/adjusted anything.
The camera was reset using the button, SADP used and a device password created, and the camera was activated.
It then was (I guess) assigned IP details by my TL Link mesh WiFi.

hik-net-1.jpg

Can you please set the DNS IP addresses to Google's:
Preferred = 8.8.8.8
Alternate = 8.8.4.4

Save, and then check again whether you can see your device at Hik-Connect.

Can you please set the DNS IP addresses to Google's:
Preferred = 8.8.8.8
Alternate = 8.8.4.4

Save, and then check again whether you can see your device at Hik-Connect.

Thanks for the suggestion to use Googles DNS.
I changed the settings exactly as you suggested.
But makes no difference to my issue.

Just to check. It's not that I can't see my device as such, (which I of course cannot)
It's that I cannot enable Hik Connect via the SADP app on the camera in the 1st place.

When I tick the box, and try to enable Hik Connect I get this error box.

"Hik-Connect Service Failed"

245be83c9a15601db4c5ac893a1bf3ba.png

Back