01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

New house with cameras but no idea how to setup!

ZER0

Hey guys.

I've moved into a new house that has 4 hikvision cameras already installed. There's 4 identical network cables coming out of the wall which I'm assuming link to the cameras. But there's no recorder. Being new to home cctv systems I don't really know where to start.

I've done a little research and sussed I need a 4 channel nvr and as I want to record I'm going to need a hard drive too right? What's a poe switch? Do I need that?

Can anyone point out what products I will need to get this back up and running?

Thanks.

20200522_123846.jpg

20200522_124015.jpg

Hi @ZER0

We would probably advise, if you don't know for sure that those cables relate to those cameras, that you get your hands on a 4-port PoE Switch before moving ahead to an NVR. You can then connect those cables to the switch and connect the switch to your local network/router, after you have done that you can install Hikvision's SADP Tool to scan the network to see if those cables are connected to the cameras. (SADP will only find Hikvision cameras, but I assume they have installed 4 x Hikvision cameras and not a mix)

Once you have confirmed the cameras are on those cables you can purchase an NVR like the DS-7604NI-K1/4P 4-channel NVR (there is a link on the product page to the HDDs we recommend) and you can then connect the cameras over the local network by leaving them on the switch and entering their unique IP addresses from SADP into the NVR camera management menu.

The above NVR does feature a 4-port PoE switch but I assume from the photo and description that those camera cables do not come that far out the wall, so if you want to directly connect them the NVR will have to sit where those cables finish whereas if you use the separate switch you can put the NVR anywhere else on the local network you want.

Hi @ZER0

We would probably advise, if you don't know for sure that those cables relate to those cameras, that you get your hands on a 4-port PoE Switch before moving ahead to an NVR. You can then connect those cables to the switch and connect the switch to your local network/router, after you have done that you can install Hikvision's SADP Tool to scan the network to see if those cables are connected to the cameras. (SADP will only find Hikvision cameras, but I assume they have installed 4 x Hikvision cameras and not a mix)

Once you have confirmed the cameras are on those cables you can purchase an NVR like the DS-7604NI-K1/4P 4-channel NVR (there is a link on the product page to the HDDs we recommend) and you can then connect the cameras over the local network by leaving them on the switch and entering their unique IP addresses from SADP into the NVR camera management menu.

The above NVR does feature a 4-port PoE switch but I assume from the photo and description that those camera cables do not come that far out the wall, so if you want to directly connect them the NVR will have to sit where those cables finish whereas if you use the separate switch you can put the NVR anywhere else on the local network you want.

Thanks for the reply!

Those cables are actually a decent length and they're right next to where my virgin media box and router are setup so putting an nvr there will be fine. If I'm confident the cables run to cameras can I just go straight in with an nvr box rather than buying a poe switch? I don't really want to shell out for both at the moment.

can I just go straight in with an nvr box rather than buying a poe switch? I don't really want to shell out for both at the moment.

Yes, if you are sure the cables run directly to each camera then you can plug them directly into the PoE switch on the NVR.

If/when you do connect them to an NVR - plug in just one at first - get that set up before connecting another.
(to avoid an IP addressing mess and other issues)

Reactions: Dan
Back