01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

New ip cam not detected unless directly to Poe port

Frankf

Hi, been running a Hikvision nvr for 3 years, 4 Poe cams connected to a hik Poe switch connected to router, which is connected to nvr. All was ok but it now appears all 4 cams have failed, Sadp tool cannot detect them even when they are connected direct to pc lan.

Bought a new hik Poe cam to test - connected direct to Poe port on nvr and it works fine, detected straightaway but when connected like the others via the switch /router, the nvr can’t detect it. The sadp can see it on the network no problem.
I’ve tried numerous ways of connecting, but direct to Poe port seems the only way it detects. I’ve tested cables too and bypassed the Poe switch just in case. (Tried direct to the router, powering the cam separately, but still the same)
I’m pretty sure the ip and gateway addresses are ok, as mentioned, it’s fine when connected directly to Poe port.

It seems to me that the nvr is not communicating with the router for some reason? Tho the sadp tool can see it on the network .

Can anyone shed any light or guide me as to what the nvr network settings should be? I’m happy to replace the old cams as they look like they’re dead, but need the test one working properly first.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Frankf

What are the model numbers of your NVR and cameras?
How is your PC that you're running SADP from connected to the LAN?
Would you be able to send a screenshot of your NVRs network settings in SADP and of the SADP device list when the test camera is connected to your router via the switch please?

Hi Kyle,
nvr is Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1-4P/A Camera; Hikvision IPC B220 (bought as a test camera)

the PC is connected via wifi to the LAN

Ive attached a diagram of my set up - its exactly as shown but mine has just 4 cams obviously. the poe switch is a Hikvision model.
I'll post images of nvr network settings as they show on the SADP tool later.

Ive left the other three dead cams plugged into the POE switch - would that cause any conflicts?

many thanks

Attachments

• poe diagram.jpg
    poe diagram.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 502
Hi, Ive now changed the test camera's IP address, subnet & gateway etc via the SADP tool and its now working fine! its still connected to the POE switch and the switch is connected to the router as original set up.

I just need to replace all four cams now, which are clearly U/S as they cant be discovered via SADP even when connected directly to the PC. There does not appear to be any factory reset button either (even inside it)

When I change the cams, can I connect the 'uplink' cable from the POE switch, to one of the POE ports at the back of the nvr? If so, do I then change the cam settings in the hikvision menu, to manual instead of PnP and change the IP addresses accordingly? (I would have activated each cam and changed its address beforehand via SADP tool) - Will that work OK - will the NVR then see all 4 cams not just one?

Also, will remote access be affected by doing this or will it need setting up again?

I assume this will keep them behind the NVR and not 'exposed' via the router which they currently are and as pointed out earlier in this thread?

Many thanks for your advice and support.

Hi @Frankf

Sorry for the delayed response on this!

We wouldn't recommend connecting the PoE switch directly to the NVR. You're best to plug them directly into the back of the NVR or into the PoE switch connected to the router that you have the test camera working on. If the cameras are working then they'll show up on SADP when plugged into the same switch as the test camera.

You'll then need to activate each of the cameras which you have connected to the switch in the SADP tool, see the how to activate a Hikvision NVR or camera section of our Megathread to see how to do so. This should get you back up and running, remote access should be fine as it is.

Hi Kyle,
Many thanks for that, I did wonder about connecting direct but some posters were suggesting just that, saying that camera traffic should never go through the router etc, so thought I’d double check.

Thanks again for the advice.

No problem :)

Nonsense from the posters, you can plug them straight in to the router so long as you provide power to them with the switch.
Keep us updated with how you get on!

Hi Kyle
Thank you very much for that, I’ll keep you updated as soon as I fit the new cams.

Here’s a quote from one of said posters:

connect the cameras to the POE switch and connect the POE switch to the back of the NVR.
Never run the camera traffic through the router.

Back