01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

New system NVR and camera selection

JDFx17

Hi all. Looking to install my first CCTV system at home. Have a Hikvision system at work which are great so would like to stick with them.

I am initially looking to install 2 cameras at the front of my house to cover the driveway and front door. I will then look to maybe install a further 2 for the side and rear.

Right now I am looking at the DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL. Functionality looks good and should cover the areas I am after.

NVR wise I am just looking at a 4 channel one. I really cannot see me getting more than 4 cameras. My house isn’t big at all and 4 would cover everything. I know good to future proof, but just can’t see that happening. Given that I was looking at DS-7604NI-K1/4P. From my research I understand the full Acusense functionality isn’t available direct in the NVR with the K series. But my understanding is I can still setup all the options by logging into the camera via web browser. Can someone confirm this understanding is correct?

If that is the only drawback going with the K series I am okay with that. I can’t seem to see a 4 channel I series and the 8 channel I is quite a lot more expensive than the 4 channel K.

Would the above be an okay combo? Or should I be considering something else?

Many thanks for any help!

Having done a bit more research, I think it may be best to stretch the budget to the I series NVR.

I would also like to know the best options in terms of 2.8mm vs 4mm and camera positions. Like I have said I am thinking of just starting with 2 cameras at the start of the house for now. I have tried to draw a rough layout of the front garden with some rough sizes. I have indicated 4 potential places.

Number 1 was my first choice. I thought with a 2.8mm i can still cover the entrance and the front door. Would that be the case? Any other advise as to where i may put these 2 cameras?

If i went with 1 and 2 - would 2.8mm or 4mm be best? And with either, would 2 see any of the front door? Or just the approach up the drive?

Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for any help!

Layout-01.jpg

Hi @JDFx17

We would agree that the I-series NVR is the way to go if you want to use the 8MP AcuSense cameras, the main reason for not using the 4-channel NVR is bandwidth limitation. The 7604 is actually quite an old model now and only has a 40 Mbps incoming bandwidth limit, at the time of its release there were very few cameras that were going to be producing more than 10 Mbps but as the resolution has increased and now new smart functions are being added the bitrate is increasing massively. In some brief testing, we found some 8MP AcuSense cameras were actually producing around 20 Mbps with minimal activity in the scene, so obviously you are not going to be able to connect 4 of these cameras to an NVR with only a 40 Mbps limit.

The positions you are looking at are all fine, with a 4mm at position 2 it is unlikely you will get full coverage of the door because the 4mm 2386G2 has a FoV of 83°. We usually recommend for covering doorways that you use 2.8mm cameras because they give you the widest FoV over the shortest distance and thus there are fewer blind spots in the area directly around the camera. (the 2.8mm 2386G2 has a 103° FoV)

The other thing to be aware of with both cameras pointing at each other is that you make sure both cameras are not looking directly at the other camera's face, this is because the IR light that both cameras emit at night will blind the other camera. The simplest way to avoid this is to mount the door camera (position 2) slightly higher than the door and then angle it slightly down until the camera at position 1 is out of its FoV.

Other than that, those 2 positions are a good place to start.

Hi @JDFx17

We would agree that the I-series NVR is the way to go if you want to use the 8MP AcuSense cameras, the main reason for not using the 4-channel NVR is bandwidth limitation. The 7604 is actually quite an old model now and only has a 40 Mbps incoming bandwidth limit, at the time of its release there were very few cameras that were going to be producing more than 10 Mbps but as the resolution has increased and now new smart functions are being added the bitrate is increasing massively. In some brief testing, we found some 8MP AcuSense cameras were actually producing around 20 Mbps with minimal activity in the scene, so obviously you are not going to be able to connect 4 of these cameras to an NVR with only a 40 Mbps limit.

The positions you are looking at are all fine, with a 4mm at position 2 it is unlikely you will get full coverage of the door because the 4mm 2386G2 has a FoV of 83°. We usually recommend for covering doorways that you use 2.8mm cameras because they give you the widest FoV over the shortest distance and thus there are fewer blind spots in the area directly around the camera. (the 2.8mm 2386G2 has a 103° FoV)

The other thing to be aware of with both cameras pointing at each other is that you make sure both cameras are not looking directly at the other camera's face, this is because the IR light that both cameras emit at night will blind the other camera. The simplest way to avoid this is to mount the door camera (position 2) slightly higher than the door and then angle it slightly down until the camera at position 1 is out of its FoV.

Other than that, those 2 positions are a good place to start.

Thanks Dan!

I will go with 2 x 2.8mm to start me off.
I am now caught between the DS-2CD2386G2-ISU/SL 8MP AcuSense and DS-2CD2347G2-LU 4MP AcuSense and ColorVu.
Can you offer any advice between these? My house is on a small roundabout with a total of 4 street lamps around - one of which is at the end of our drive.
What are your thoughts on ColorVu at 4MP vs Powered by Darkfighter at 8MP?

I think I will get position one sorted first. I can then run an ethernet cable in the door to the NVR and hold the camera up to postion 2 just to check the view before I drill into the sofit first etc. But thanks for the note on the IR. I think it should angle down enough but well worth checking.

Hi @JDFx17

In your scenario where the area you want to cover is only up to 15m there is minimal difference between using 4MP ColorVu and 8MP AcuSense, it really just comes down to whether you prefer the B&W IR images (which over longer distances and at that higher resolution can be slightly clearer/sharper than the ColorVu image) or the colour images of the ColorVu. (which over short distances can give you additional colour detail like the colour of clothing, hair, and vehicles)

I would recommend that you search "ColorVu" here at the forum where you will find many threads with screenshots taken from ColorVu cameras installed in different locations, different light levels, and some with and without the built-in white light being used.

Also, I would recommend searching YouTube for some demo videos of these models, like these ones for the 2386G2 and 2347G2, as they will show you both the night and day performance of both and how they handle motion.

Back