01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

new to ip cameras

johnboy

hi
I have just installed a cheap ip dome camera on the front corner of my house.

Its running through an 8 port ethernet hub conected to my pc upstairs in my office.

there are two lan cards in my pc upstairs one connected to the hub the new camera is using.

and the other is conected via my router wich is conected to my cable modem this conection is setup to automatically to detect the ip address for the cable modem.

what i would like to do is use other computers around my home to view operate the camera i don't realy want to run cables to each computer in my house unless it is the only option

I would also like to view operate the camera from the net ie when at work or on holiday

I have set remote access to my pc upstairs and can view opperate the camera from the net but is exstreamly slow and jerky.

I look forward to somebodys help

thanks johnboy

Hello Johnboy,

What make and model of camera?
And what software are you using?

Johnboy,
Can you Post a link to the software website?
Do they provide client software for you to use on remote PCs, or do you simply use a browser e.g. internet explorer?

Well done for configuring remote access to your camera. When you say that it is extremely slow and jerky - some camera/software combinations suffer from high latency e.g. from a remote location you tell it to do something and it takes a while to receive your instruction and react. Often you can make matters worse by getting fed-up waiting and then tell it to move again.

If you are suffering from high latency (slow response, difficult to control positioning) then it is a good idea to use presets in the PTZ dome and to save all of your most often used viewing positions. Then, from a remote place, you can simply tell the dome to go to a saved preset position and know with some confidence that even if there is a delay of a few seconds in getting there it will return the view that you were after. Assuming that your camera/software combination allows you to save and recall presets.

Apart from that, you could try a different software solution to manage and record your PTZ dome, but that camera is not a common model. It might require a bit of trial and error to see if it works when you set the software to a more common camera model profile.

Icode's software is very good, click this link for a free CCTV software trial download.

There are a couple of lists of other software solutions elsewhere in this forum:
Free CCTV software
Professional CCTV software

You might want to check their camera compatibility lists and see if any of them work with the camera you have.

Back