01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Newbie help needed with choosing a CCTV System

pastytustle

I'm looking into setting up a CCTV system to monitor the exterior of my house. The neighbours car was recently vandalised during the night so that has spurred me on to get this sorted.
3 cameras should suffice, two to the front and one to the rear (at least for the time being)
The front wall of the property is approx. 10m to the centre of the road and there are some street lighting on the opposite side. I'd like to be able to read car number plates as they pass the house at night if possible.
The rear garden extends approx. 25m. with very little lighting.
WiFi cameras aren't really an option as the network can be temperamental at times so would prefer an independent system.

After doing a fair bit of research, I have a few questions.

I've seen DVR's sold for/with POE cameras, is this an actual thing as I thought all POE cameras only work with NVR's?

Can a NVR connect both POE cameras and wireless cameras at the same time? (access for cabling to the rear of the house will be a nightmare)

Can turret cameras be mounted sideways on a wall? rather than horizontally under soffits etc.
Would this restrict the turrets movement/field of view?

I'm sure i'll think of a few more questions soon.

Thanks for all the help.

Take a look at this for some good information

I've read that article thanks, was quite informative.

I still have a couple of questions though...

Can a NVR connect both POE cameras and wireless cameras at the same time? say I had 2 POE(IP) cams on the front and was to install a wireless cam to cover the rear garden, would i be able to connect both to the NVR to record the streams?

Can turret cameras be mounted vertically on a wall? and would I require a junction box to do so? Also, would mounting this way restrict the turrets movement/field of view? My thought process being that mounting a cam lower down the wall would increase the likelihood of capturing faces of people approaching the house.
I've used a generic house from google, albeit similar to illustrate what i was planning.

1578093213433.png
1578094221049.png

Any comments/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Turret cameras can be mounted vertically.

As long as cameras are on the same network they will work. Just connect the wireless cameras to a wireless access point which is on the same network.

You need to run a cable to the wireless camera anyway to power it, so it it not better to just use all wired cameras?

Cameras at the top of the house are a waste of time other than the odd one for a general view of the garden of the street. Most undesirables nowadays go around in hoodies so it really helps to get the cameras down to head height.

I ran the cameras around my outside fence so they were actually looking back at the house.

Work out the field of view but at least 4mm lens best for catching a face.

As per picture below my cameras are around the perimeter fences, gives a great view of house at a decent height.

File 04-01-2020, 08 38 57.png

That's an interesting idea to put cameras facing towards the house, must have been a chew to run the cabling. Not sure it would be possible for me to do that with the layout of my garden, unless I used something like these batttery powered cams...
BLINK XT2 Full HD 1080p WiFi Security System - 5 Cameras

I'm wary of putting cameras too low on the front wall as they'll likely get ripped off the wall by some scumbag.

Cabling was a cinch. I just purchased a drum of armoured CAT5 cable in and dug it about 8 inches down into the flower beds around the side of the fence. I have a switch in the garage and just one CAT5 cable from the garage back to the house connecting everything to the NVR

Back