01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Newbie - storage options

roberts56

Hi,
Apologies if this has been asked before but did browse briefly on here and google but didn't see anything related.

I wanted to find out more about how security camera work from storage point of view:
1) What happens in the scenario when camera is unable to upload/save the video?
For e.g. if the SD card or storage is faulty
Is there any sort of notification mechaism?
2) Do any of you camera allow storage to both SD and FTP? i.e. multiple storage options simultaneously or record on SD but then backup to secondary FTP?

If the above is possible, what cameras offer the options?

Hi @roberts56

1) If all the storage options are faulty then the camera will stop recording, but it is very rare if you have multiple storage locations setup that they will all fail. If it is just the SDcard in the camera that fails then I don't think there is any notification system for that, if you're are using an NVR or NAS then you can set up storage error notification that will usually give an audible warning. (the NVR will beep)

2) It is pretty much standard that all IP cameras support multiple storage locations and in most cases, there are 3 main storage options, first is HDD storage on an NVR/NAS, second would be MicroSD card storage onboard the camera, and finally, there is FTP storage. (FTP storage though is only really used for event recording - e.g. when an event is triggered a clip or snapshot will be sent to your FTP location)

Hi @roberts56

1) If all the storage options are faulty then the camera will stop recording, but it is very rare if you have multiple storage locations setup that they will all fail. If it is just the SDcard in the camera that fails then I don't think there is any notification system for that, if you're are using an NVR or NAS then you can set up storage error notification that will usually give an audible warning. (the NVR will beep)

2) It is pretty much standard that all IP cameras support multiple storage locations and in most cases, there are 3 main storage options, first is HDD storage on an NVR/NAS, second would be MicroSD card storage onboard the camera, and finally, there is FTP storage. (FTP storage though is only really used for event recording - e.g. when an event is triggered a clip or snapshot will be sent to your FTP location)
Thanks Dan for the reply.
Any recommended options that support NVR and MicroSD?
I'm looking for something without subscription based Cloud model and as I already have a home server, would like to use that if I can to avoid on going costs.

Hi @roberts56

We would recommend Hikvision NVRs & cameras

Hikvision NVRs - we would need to know more about the size of the system/number of cameras before we could recommend a more specific model.

Hikvision Turret Cameras - we recommend turret cameras above all other types as they offer the best all-around performance. Of all the turret options available we would recommend the latest 2385G1 8MP Darkfighter Turret camera which has the MicroSD storage and the latest Darkfighter Technology for better low-light performance.

You could potentially use the server/NAS you have but it depends on the brand of server and if they have their own surveillance software, we know for a fact the Synology & QNAP have their own software. If they don't have their own software then you would have to look at installing a 3rd-party VMS which usually ends up costing much more than a dedicated NVR.

Back