01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Night time bugs chewing up NAS drive space

Brent Miller

One of my cameras (Hikvision 2CD2032-1) has a problem with small bugs flitting around the camera at night time. It sometimes will cause the camera to record on a continuous basis. I am not sure if it is the camera's infrared led's attracting them or a nearby light fixture. I have tried adjusting the sensitivity and played around with some other settings. The manual is not always clear on what the settings represent or just what they can affect.

Any recommended settings or things to adjust?

That's one of the hazards of using the built in IR of a camera - it does tend to attract bugs and spiders as you've noticed. Unfortunately there's very little you can do about it I'm afraid.

If it's proving to be a problem, the simplest solution would be to either disable the camera's IR and use a source of external lighting (perhaps that light fixture if it provides enough light?) or invest in a source of external IR - rayTEC are very popular

Yes disabling the infrared seems to have solved the problem. Since the front trim lights are automatic, that gives enough light. I only noticed a cat and a rabbit a few hours later last night.

Back