01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Hik-Connect No playback on Camera events in Hik-Connect

duckbuster

Hi, I'm new to the Hikvision ecosystem and I am trying to wrap my head around it. My system consists of a iDS-7716NXI-I4 / 16P/16S(B) NVR and 9x 4K Acusense cameras. All the cameras are set up to record continuously to the NVR.

Initially, I only added the NVR to Hik-Connect, and I started defining Smart Events in the NVR itself. That worked fine - I can correctly receive notifications when events are triggered, and each notification has a neat button that allows me to play back the associated video.
Unfortunately though, after setting up the first 4 cameras I hit a wall: if I try to define any Smart Events in any more cameras, I get a message saying 'Not enough engine decoding resource' and the UI does not let me activate the event.

I presume the NVR only supports Smart Events on a limited number of channels, so since all the cameras are Acusense, the solution would be to define the events in the cameras themselves instead of the NVR.

I tried to do that, but initially I would not receive any notifications in Hik-Connect for events generated in the cameras. I presume that the issue there was that I had only added the NVR to Hik-Connect, and to receive events from the cameras I would have to add them individually - is that correct?

Having connected the cameras directly to Hik-Connect, I now receive the events generated by the cameras themselves, but they are no longer linked to the associated video, which makes the events themselves not very useful. Is there a way to link the event generated on the camera to the video recorded by the NVR?

Or otherwise, can I instruct the cameras to record the video associated to an event to the NVR? In the cameras, under Storage Management I only see HDD Management, Net HDD and Cloud Storage, but not an option to store to the NVR - am I missing something?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi @duckbuster

You've done a good job at wrapping your head around it!

You are correct in that you probably need to set the events on the cameras, as the resolution (of all cameras combined) that your AcuSense NVR can the smart analytics on capped:

1627660164954.png

E.g., you could set the AcuSense ananlytics up on 16 cameras, if all were set to 2MP resolution. If setting the resolution higher, then the number of cameras that it can be set on reduces.

As far as I know, the only way you will be able to recieve the associated footage with the notifications is to set up recording to a MicroSD card inside each camera.

With the more common non-AcuSense NVRs though, it recoginises that the camera selected is an AcuSense model, and lets you set the analytics to be performed by the camera with the events set via the NVR (and footage sent from the NVR's hard disk).

I'm going to ask Hikvision support if there is a way to do the same on your NVR, so that it doesn't use all of the NVR's "decoding resource", so will update you with whatever I hear back from them.

Hi Kyle, thank you very much for your answer! I was afraid that that would be the case. When I received the spec from the installer I thought that the Acusense NVR would be redundant when all the cameras were already Acusense, but went ahead with the suggested spec as my installer worked that spec out with a Hikvision representative so I assumed it would be optimal. I still thought that having Acusense on both the NVR and the cameras would be overkill, but I went ahead anyway as I never suspected that it would actually make it impossible to leverage the cameras' AI capabilities in my setup.

I really hope there is a way to use my NVR for recording the event footage, otherwise I suspect I'll have to ask my installer to replace it with a non-Acusense model. Is there a better alternative you would suggest in that case?

Last edited:
Hi @duckbuster

You've done a good job at wrapping your head around it!

You are correct in that you probably need to set the events on the cameras, as the resolution (of all cameras combined) that your AcuSense NVR can the smart analytics on capped:

View attachment 6324

E.g., you could set the AcuSense ananlytics up on 16 cameras, if all were set to 2MP resolution. If setting the resolution higher, then the number of cameras that it can be set on reduces.

As far as I know, the only way you will be able to recieve the associated footage with the notifications is to set up recording to a MicroSD card inside each camera.

With the more common non-AcuSense NVRs though, it recoginises that the camera selected is an AcuSense model, and lets you set the analytics to be performed by the camera with the events set via the NVR (and footage sent from the NVR's hard disk).

I'm going to ask Hikvision support if there is a way to do the same on your NVR, so that it doesn't use all of the NVR's "decoding resource", so will update you with whatever I hear back from them.

Just as an update - I managed to use the on-board AI from the cameras by *unchecking* the "Use AI By Device" check box. That has to be the most unhelpfully labelled checkbox in history - very unintuitive. Effectively, if you want to use the Camera AI you have to untick the box. I presume when they say "Device" they mean "NVR" rather than "Camera"?

Thanks for the update - you worked that out before I could!

To confirm, do you have everything working as you need now that you've unchecked that box, and you're receiving the linked footage with the notifications?

Yes, sounds like it must mean the NVR by 'device'...

Back