01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

No Video - Randomly lost video/image.

Tek2020

Hi,

I have a 4 channel DVR and one of the channels bnc connected randomly stopped working.

I say randomly but I was working ontop of the existing camera that stopped working I was installing a new network camera drilling holes etc etc and ran the rj45 along the same route as bnc connected cam up the rain pipe then in the loft.

After installing the network camera which is up and running fine I realised 1 of the 4 cameras on the DVR has stopped working I'm thinking maybe I tamapred with the wires or maybe knocked the junction box? Anyway on close inspection the junction box of the cam looks all connected fine and I also swapped the bnc cables on the back dvr and they also seem to be fine.

What else could be? Have the camera packed up?

Any suggestions?

Regards

Tek

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210224-175312.jpg
    Screenshot_20210224-175312.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 156
Hi @Tek2020

What is the exact model number of your DVR?
The network camera you mentioned, is that connected to the DVR or operating separately/on its own?

Hi,

Its a DS-7204HGHI-F1 4Ch also has 1 ip cam connected via a poe switch which is recording onto the dvr. All was working fine until I installed an additional ip poe cam with its own storage connected to the same poe switch.

So just to clarify, you are only trying to connect 4 cameras to the DVR? 3 x analog/BNC cameras and 1 x IP camera

The new IP camera is not connected to the DVR at all, is that correct?

Sorry its a 4 bnc connected dvr and 1 of the 4 bnc's have stopped working.

Both ip cams are not connected to DVR only to a separate poe switch.

Ok, So you only have 5 cameras recording to the DVR (4 x BNC & 1 x IP) which looking at the specs for the DVR should be ok.

You said when you installed the new IP camera the cable followed the same route up the drainpipe as the BNC camera, is this a straight vertical cable run or do you have kinks/drip loops in the cable run? Can you post a picture of the cable run?

Ok, So you only have 5 cameras recording to the DVR (4 x BNC & 1 x IP) which looking at the specs for the DVR should be ok.
Correct!

You said when you installed the new IP camera the cable followed the same route up the drainpipe as the BNC camera, is this a straight vertical cable run or do you have kinks/drip loops in the cable run? Can you post a picture of the cable run?
Yes this is correct a straight verticle run around 2 meters or so then into the loft through a hole. No bends or kinks the only thing is I used around 4 cable ties around the drainpipe so it doesn't snag.

Ok, It could potentially be a damaged camera from water ingress.

With straight cable runs like this, you allow water to run straight down the cable into the cameras BNC/RJ45 connection.

Even if the camera has a weatherproof seal at the point where the cable enters the camera, if the water collects on this seal in can degrade the seal and squeeze inside the camera via the smallest gaps.

I would take the camera down and check it for any signs of water ingress. (the most obvious is corrosion to the connectors)

Also, for the other cameras and any cameras you put up in the future, we would recommend that you do put a drip loop in the cable run to reduce the risk of water ingress.

It's sort of set up as a drip loop as it stands now. The connections enters the box jenction from the bottom all my cameras are set up this way.

If I were to swap this cam with another working cam and see what happens maybe I could get to the bottom of this and this and prove one of the cams have stopped working? Please see pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210225-113835_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210225-113835_Gallery.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 159
ok, I would advise swapping the cameras over and getting this one down to check because from that photo there are multiple factors that could have allowed water to affect the camera. (e.g. short cable run from the box to the camera, almost horizontal cable run, rough mounting surface allows water behind the camera)

Also, swapping the cameras will let you know if it is just an issue with the camera or if the cable is at fault because if another camera doesn't work on that connection it could be that the cable or BNC connector is faulty/degraded.

Cheers I really appreciate your time and help. It's just started raining but I will get to the bottom of this run a a few test and let you know how I get on in the next couple of days.

Thank you

Tek

Not sure what's going on here but the video has randomly come back. Which I'm happy about.

I was due to diagnose the problem today as the weather is ment to be nice but no need now.

The only thing I can think of maybe is around a month ago there was slight condensation inside the lens then it evaporated and cleared up so the cam could be possibly on its way due to moisture/water damage.

I'll keep an eye on things and if anything changes I'll let you guys know.

Thank you.

T

Back