01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Noisy fan hikvision NVR solved with silent power bricks

Have a DS-7608NI-I2-8P
for whats its worth I have the following setup (see pics) and much much quieter for me, very tolerable. Taking the NVR housing off works straight away, the side fan is a Sunon and not bad to be honest. The power supply fan is the noisiest.

I then bought a $50 PC case, gutted it, bought some insulation (one side self adhesive) and placed it all around inside and that has helped more. Much much quieter and still getting airflow.

But taking the casing off helps a lot which explains a small enclosure creating pressure and pushing air through the tiny holes etc etc.

I have a usb hub hanging out the back and another one connected to the front but gotta tidy the mount up ;-]

Just another idea that is easy and wont void your warranty!

20211007_143353.jpg

Attachments

• 20211007_135144 1.jpg
    20211007_135144 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 383
  • 20211007_134044.jpg
    20211007_134044.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 450
  • 20211007_135030 1.jpg
    20211007_135030 1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 379
Thanks for posting your solution. It's certainly different!

In the end I placed my NVR in a loft storage cupboard, which also houses my switch, network storage device and a few other bits and pieces. I had to fit a wider shelf and some additional cable trunking but it wasn't too difficult. It does mean I can't connect it to a monitor, but the iVMS-4200 client appears to do everything required and I can run this from any of my PC's.

I definitely would not place this NVR in a living room as it is much too loud.

I have a DS-7616NI-K2/16P with a dead power supply. With an ATX PSU I've tested the non-PoE 12v part of the board and it's working fine. Now I'd like to test the PoE with a 52v power brick I have but I don't know which is the positive on the 4 pins connector. There are 4 cables: 2 yellow/black and 2 white. Does anyone know what color is the positive?
Thanks.

Can you make couple of pictures with the plug and the wires coming from the defective PSU? I always thought there are only yellow and black wires there, where yellow is +48...52V and black is GND, but let's see your pics first.

I may check my DS-7608NI-E2/8P in the coming days, but I'm pretty sure I only have yellow and black wires there (three yellow wires in parallel, three black wires in parallel too). However, I will get back here when I'll have more info.

The PSU is a Delta DPS-280AB-4A.

The 4 pin connector is different from the one on the DS-7608NI-K2/8P.

I've found a YouTube video where the PoE board gets repaired:
He tests with the multimeter the connector and the positive is on the yellow+black cable and GND on the white one.

Now that I know I'll test it today.

Attachments

• delta.jpg
    delta.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 209
Reactions: TRL
Just tested it and it works fine.

Is the noise really that bad? The NVR will be placed in a 19" rack in a closet where there is already a 1U server with screaming fans but you can really hear them only when you walk by the closet.

What do you suggest? A new original PSU or two power bricks?

My vote goes to the original PSU, unless you can find a better and more expensive one. My Hik's original PSU is powering 8 PoE cameras perfectly since 4 years and 10 months, so quite a good PSU, although a bit on the noisy side.

I posted in this thread to try to help people obtain the correct connectors, but 3 weeks later it's still awaiting moderator approval, so I'll try again:

Re the connectors in the DS-7608NI-I2-8P, I used the following.

For the 2mm pitch connector inside the PSU you need Micro JST PH 2.0mm 2 Pin.

For the 2.5mm pitch connector on the main board for the case side fan you need JST-XH 2 Pin 2.5mm.

The above allowed me to use the Noctua OmniJoin connectors without damaging any of the original parts.

Note that the polarity needs to be reversed with the above connectors, connect black wires to red wires with the OmniJoin connectors.

As noted already, there is still a huge increase in noise when you put the top of the case back on, but I think the Noctua fans have possibly got it down to a tolerable level for where I'll have the NVR.

I provided links to a source for these connectors in my previous post, but I'm guessing it's not permitted to post those links and that is why the post hasn't been approved. So unfortunately, all I can provide is the descriptions above and I can't guarantee they will work, or that the wires will need connecting like I said, if they are obtained from a different source. Hopefully those descriptions are standard and connectors of that description from any source will work. It took me many hours of research to identify them.

Hi - thanks for documenting the above. I've changed the case fan and it has definitely made it quieter and now looking change the PSU fan also.

For the PSU fan, I found a Micro JST PH 2.0mm 2-Pin connector doesn't fit the socket (because of socket shape) on the PSU. See attached for photos of the existing PSU fan socket and existing fan connector. The PSU is a Delta Electronics DPS-280AB-4A and the NVR is model DS-7616NI-M2-16P.

You wouldn't by any chance happen to know what connector this PSU is using? The pins seem to have a 2.0mm spacing. Like you, I'd like to avoid cutting the wire to the existing fan so I don't have any potential warranty issues down the track.

Thanks for any advice you might have here.

Attachments

• IMG_3321.jpg
    IMG_3321.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 100
Came here to get inspiration to noise solutions.

Just wanted to post a picture of my setup to show you how I monitor live. I connected a TV broadcaster between the NVR and my antenna wiring in the house. This allows me to switch to channel 9 at any TV in the house to monitor live surveillance.
View attachment IMG_4072.jpeg

I recently acquired a DS-7608NI-I2/8P from eBay and it's working nicely. The fans are not too loud. However, I am keen to silence the box.

I can confirm that it runs perfectly happily with the internal 52V disconnected from the board (I am not using the PoE).This also reduces the power taken from the mains by about 1W (from ~19W to ~18W, one HDD fitted). The unit appears to take about 900mA from the 12V supply so am keen to replace the fitted PSU with a silent "brick". Does anybody know the spec for the 6-pin power connector? I don't really want to cut the cable - I'd rather buy another connector and splice to the power brick.

Thanks

Back