01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Noisy fan hikvision NVR solved with silent power bricks

stayingawhile

Like many other threads on here, I found my new DS-7608NI-K2-8P unbearably loud. It has a channel well technologies PSU (KSA-180S2) with a 12v 5A rail, a 52v 2.5A rail and a really noisy 40mm fan, and then a second not-quite-as-noisy 40mm fan on the case.

Everyone has a different sensitivity to this sort of a noise so I've seen some people say it's fine, and that's great for them. But mine was shut in a thick walled cupboard with a heavy tight-fitting door, and it would still be loud enough to irritate me enough if sat in the same room, to have to change room. These sort of fan noises have a quality factor as well as a loudness factor, and the NVR PSU was definitely on the nasty noise side a metallic, slightly varying and grating on the mind noise.

Anyhow, I've seen a variety of people on forums replace the fans to slight to good improvements, but if I was going to cut into the box around I wanted a full solution to make it (virtually) silent. I've also seen a number of people suggest replacing the power supply with external bricks, though not actually do the work. So that's what I've done.

This is a 60W 12v 5A power brick from Channel Well Tech I used for the first rail. The three yellow wires on the existing CWT PSU pigtail are all positive 12v, the black wires ground
https://amzn.to/2RxxRzf

This is the 52V 2.7A power brick from DSLRKIT specifically for PoE which is why the second rail needs the greater power, which I used for the second rail. Unfortunately Amazon has stopped carrying it since I purchased it. No idea if that is a good or a bad sign, but you'll find the same model elsewhere, or I'm sure other PoE power supplies would work. The old pigtail is 52v positive red, and black ground (at least consistent - but do check on yours!)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XW3LL8F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These both come without kettle leads, you'll need two (I had some old ones kicking around)
https://amzn.to/2S3BmlU

I used a Nexus 92mm fan. Nexus make (made?) superb fans and I use in my silent PCs this one I had spare. Unfortunately their website is either down or they aren't trading any more. Basically just get a high quality fan of as large a diameter as you think will fit in the case. Silent PC review will give almost all the info on fans. One of the things they are good at is dealing with the subjectivity of fan noise, not only will these fans be REALLY quiet, they also give off a very neutral/softer (to my ear) much less obtrusive steady white noise. Basically though any high quality 80/92/120/bigger fan from Scythe or whomever, is going to be enormously better than the original 40mms and move plenty of air.
Fan Roundup #6: Scythe, Noiseblocker, Antec, Nexus, Thermalright | silentpcreview.com

So putting it together then.

The most likely thing to get wrong here is connecting the new power bricks to the pigtail in the wrong way and frying the board. So use a voltmeter and measure twice, cut once.

In general if you aren't comfortable with working with electricity, a voltmeter and a soldering iron stop. Or if think your boss will object to what you're doing with the kit, or the PAT tester might next time they visit the office also stop!

Steps
Carefully checked all the positive and negative voltages on the existing setup and the new bricks and labelled positive really carefully.
Removed the old power supply
Cut the pigtail off the old power supply, chopped the plugs off the end of the power bricks, and used chocolate block connectors to connect a to b
I wired the fan into the same 12v power rail and hot glued it to the bottom of the case where the holes are.
And then reassembled and plugged it in. Works fine (pictures enclosed)

Sound level.
Now acceptably quiet, quieter than most of the laptops in the house, I'd have to concentrate to hear it over this laptop with the cupboard door shut, with the cupboard door closed it's basically unnoticeable. The noise in the cupboard if you put your head is now a much more tolerable shhhhhhhhh noise, rather than the shrieky and grindy old one. But the 92mm fan at 12v still makes an appreciable amount of noise, and there is a lot of nasty aluminium undamped, un-braced surfaces in the box, so it definitely could be a lot quiter.

So there would be a lot of things that could be done to improve this from my PC silencing experience, and I would have liked to have done with more time and energy, but I was in a hurry to shut the thing up. But if you're doing something similar, you might want to consider...

Things which you might want to do which I didn't ....

Connectors and back plate
Adding nice connectors to be able to plug and unplug the two power supplies, and closing off the old hole where the power connector is. Mine is basically wired into a cupboard so I'm not too fussed. But you can have some grasping cable entry grommits and there are screw holes around the hole to fit a plate. That would definitely be a good thing to do.

On connectors.
Originally I'd planned to get sockets for the PSU plugs so you could plug and unplug the two power supply units in, rather than having the bricks permanently attached. I didn't because the two power supplies have a similar enough plug you could very easily plug the 52V into the 12v and fry everything. It would however of been much nicer, so if I were going to do this, I'd look to replace the 52V plug with an oversize plug and socket to make it impossible to plug into the wrong one.

Hole
Cutting a hole for the fan (especially if you had a second hard drive so couldn't use the existing vents) might be good. There is lots of room when the power supply comes out to do this in either the lid or the base. There are enough holes in the base for this to work fine without if you don't need the second drive, but a nicer hole, a fan gasket and some fan mesh would be better. Cutting neat holes in aluminium isn't straight forward at home, so a fit from the outside fan mesh which covers your work is a nice thing.

Rubber Feet
The NVR has small stand-up metal feet to get the base somewhat off the surface below. So the fan does actually work fine like this, but some nice rubber feet for the NVR will improve airflow a lot and reduce noise further. I couldn't find any feet in the bit box, but will probably locate some. If you were fitting new fan meshes you'd definitely want the additional clearance.

Fan gasket
I hot glue gunned the fan down, which provides for an air tight fit over the holes, but means it's tightly coupled to the case, and the case is nasty flappy unbraced aluminium which normally contributes to a bad noise. If you can afford a nice silicon fan gasket it'll reduce the noise substantially again. They always seem very pricey to me for what they are.

Fan speed reducer.
I couldn't find my old Zalman Fanmate-2, but if I could I've had used it, just connecting it in line to the flan. A 92 mm fan at 12v moves a lot of air, way more than needed having taken the power supply out of the box. This would let you reduce the fan to 7v or 5v (or where-ever you wanted really) Big fans at 5v really are very very very quiet and still move a decent amount of air.

Case damping or noise adsorption material
I used a little (just what I had lying about spare) on the case above the hard drive. This stuff is always over-hyped, it's not going to make a big difference on it's own. But I do find it helps in improving the overall quality of the noise, even if the total volume is about the same. If you were going for a thorough solution I'd cover the whole of the case roof and any exposed large surfaces of the floor.

Harddrive mounting.
The harddrive is now a noticeable part of the noise from the box. The bottom in screw mounting is very difficult to damp and still make transportable. Some side mount damped connections fixed securely to the base, and then with damping material running underneath would be better and still fit under the lid.

Attachments

• Photo 03-02-2019, 11 22 12.jpg
    Photo 03-02-2019, 11 22 12.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 6,385
  • Photo 03-02-2019, 11 47 09.jpg
    Photo 03-02-2019, 11 47 09.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 11,850
  • Photo 03-02-2019, 11 56 05.jpg
    Photo 03-02-2019, 11 56 05.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5,552
Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent thank you very much for posting that. I was half wondering if you got a separate PoE switch could you depower the 52v supply to get rid of one of the main problems.

I can't authoritatively actually check with disconnecting the 52v as I've got no other way of powering the cameras. But it would take away a lot of the convenience of the hikvision boxes in that they have the Powered PoE switch internally. But I think *probably* yes, you could use one or more externally powered PoE switches, or power the cameras direct, and disconnect the 52V and just power the NVR off 12v.

The idea is then that you switch to a passively cooled enclosure or at least one with a fan that only kicks in if it breaks a particular temp

I couldn't find an inline temperature sensor and fan controller, that isn't motherboard dependent or requires a big front panel, but if have a recommendation of such a thing that would be ideal. Have the fan down very low (or off) and set it to step up when it warms up.

If a customer says its to loud, we change the fans to the scyte low noise fans, and they are all satisfied.

Do you have a link to the fans that you fit please?

The problem is, like in the HUHI series, the fans are different from 4 to 8 and 16 channel and from K1 to K2 series! I will make a excel sheet for you, including the shops where you can buy. Need some days, so much work to do :D

The problem is, like in the HUHI series, the fans are different from 4 to 8 and 16 channel and from K1 to K2 series! I will make a excel sheet for you, including the shops where you can buy. Need some days, so much work to do :D

Any update to this? I'm trying to silence a 7608 I2.

Thanks!

I have put all noctua fans in the PSU and case and its still noisy. Going to try foam to break up the resonant cavity

I just purchased a Hikvision DS-7732 and it is incredibly noisy. I have found 60x60x15 12v fans that perform better than the original ones and will add this programmable temperature based PWM fan speed controller. The hope is that the fan will either not spin or spin very slowly at low temperatures and only speed up if really needed. This mod should be very easy to do for both the chassis fan and the PSU fan...

Also, if I really want to gamble with warranty, I can replace the original heatsinks with much larger ones. There is lots of room in the chassis so it should be easy to find ways to make this thing more quiet. I too am planning on adding foam. I'll report back once I have made the mods. I have an audio meter so maybe I can also try to do some proper measurements of before and after... we'll see.

The controller above is available from many sellers, this is just one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PWM-4-Wire-Fan-Temperature-Controller-Speed-Governor-for-PC-Fan-Alarm-DC-12V/333236585449\

Reactions: TRL
Hi, I have a Hikvision DS7608NII28P 8 Channel NVR arriving next week and as the Plant room is near a bedroom, am worried about the reports of noise I've seen online.

I have ordered two of these Noctua 40mmx10mm fans: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009NQLT0M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like those fans come with connectors so is it a matter of replacing the existing fans and using a 2-to-3 wire connector?

I'd love to go the whole hog and make the power supply changes listed here, but not sure I have the soldering skills, is it worth trying the Noctuas and seeing if I'm good with it thereafter?

same boat only i got mine last week..
my first impression is the main noise culpit is the case fan on the side.. most noise is coming from air airflow and not the fan itself.
Planning on replacing both fans with noctu and see.
If there was single power brick to be found I'd probably go with that instead. Or I might look into step down DC to DC converter.
Early days.

Last edited:
same boat only i got mine last week..
my first impression is the main noise culpit is the case fan on the side.. most noise is coming from air airflow and not the fan itself.
Planning on replacing both fans with noctu and see.
If there was single power brick to be found I'd probably go with that instead. Or I might look into step down DC to DC converter.
Early days.

Any updates on how you got on solving your fan noise issue I have just taken delivery of the same NVR 8 port model, however in my case I have one 5GB HDD operating three 4k cameras and my cameras are powered by a POE switch. I was thinking of unpluging the case fan and just doing the fan mod on the PSU. Thoughts please. Thanks

Hi, I have a Hikvision DS7608NII28P 8 Channel NVR arriving next week and as the Plant room is near a bedroom, am worried about the reports of noise I've seen online.

I have ordered two of these Noctua 40mmx10mm fans: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009NQLT0M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like those fans come with connectors so is it a matter of replacing the existing fans and using a 2-to-3 wire connector?

I'd love to go the whole hog and make the power supply changes listed here, but not sure I have the soldering skills, is it worth trying the Noctuas and seeing if I'm good with it thereafter?

Any updates????

Any updates on how you got on solving your fan noise issue I have just taken delivery of the same NVR 8 port model, however in my case I have one 5GB HDD operating three 4k cameras and my cameras are powered by a POE switch. I was thinking of unpluging the case fan and just doing the fan mod on the PSU. Thoughts please. Thanks

Mine is also no powering via POE so I fitted a Noctua 20x20x40mm fan to mine and its much quieter but you will need to find a two pin plug to fit the NVR if you want to be able to refit the old fans at some point for any warranty issues.

Mine is also no powering via POE so I fitted a Noctua 20x20x40mm fan to mine and its much quieter but you will need to find a two pin plug to fit the NVR if you want to be able to refit the old fans at some point for any warranty issues.
Thanks for the speedy reply, I think my Noctua fans are due in the next couple of days so will see how much difference they make I will try the case and psu fan to start with then unplug the the case fan to see the difference if any. Interesting topic and surprised Hikvision have not addressed this issue before.

Hi. No update as such. I unplugged the case fan to make it bearable. Decided to go the external power brick route (still waiting for it to arrive) with a noctua case fan.
Please keep us all updated I may head down the power brick route. Many Thanks

Back