01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Noisy Hikvision DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/4S NVR PSU fan?

RealMode

Hi guys,
Recently I bought a NVR model DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/4S, but it has a terrible noise from PSU, it is always at maximum RPM.
I use only 2 IP port from total of 8, actually is no heavy energy load on PSU. Hikvision customer center has a silent approach for my question.
Never used Hikvision so far, all NVR have this noisy PSU?
Thanks.

Hmm tricky.
You say max. rpm, so do you actually mean that the hard drives are spinning fast and making a lot of noise?
Maybe you are specifically referring to the fan noise/speed?

We have no actual experience with the NXI models - not even on our own demo system, as they are currently sold at such a high premium over the standard NVRs that we have seen no interest in them so far.

People do comment that the standard NVRs are noisy to live with.
In particular the cooling fans.
You will find threads here in the forum where people have fitted after-market quiet fans.
We do not generally find that the NVRs are noisy.
But, I suppose it depends whether the NVR is located in a busy office environment, or at home in your lounge ...

Hmm tricky.
You say max. rpm, so do you actually mean that the hard drives are spinning fast and making a lot of noise?
Maybe you are specifically referring to the fan noise/speed?

We have no actual experience with the NXI models - not even on our own demo system, as they are currently sold at such a high premium over the standard NVRs that we have seen no interest in them so far.

People do comment that the standard NVRs are noisy to live with.
In particular the cooling fans.
You will find threads here in the forum where people have fitted after-market quiet fans.
We do not generally find that the NVRs are noisy.
But, I suppose it depends whether the NVR is located in a busy office environment, or at home in your lounge ...
Not the hard drive but the PSU (power supply unit), fan is at maximum RPM, very noisy. Speed should increase under load to keep parts cooled, but not with 2 IP cameras.

Noisy yes, but shouldn't be very noisy. Perhaps the bearing is faulty or the unit is in an area with poor airflow?
From what I see online, the DS-7608NXI-I2 8P has similar fans and layout to my DS-7616NI-K2. Is that correct?
The K2 case fans are capable of 4500rpm and in excess of 25db at full speed but I don't think they ever reach that level, even with 14 cameras attached.
Try taking the lid off the NVR to maximise airflow, see if the PSU fan relaxes a bit.
Does the NVR case fan run fairly quietly?
Is your layout similar to the following?
1579121972494.png

shouldn't
Noisy yes, but shouldn't be very noisy. Perhaps the bearing is faulty or the unit is in an area with poor airflow?
From what I see online, the DS-7608NXI-I2 8P has similar fans and layout to my DS-7616NI-K2. Is that correct?
The K2 case fans are capable of 4500rpm and in excess of 25db at full speed but I don't think they ever reach that level, even with 14 cameras attached.
Try taking the lid off the NVR to maximise airflow, see if the PSU fan relaxes a bit.
Does the NVR case fan run fairly quietly?
Is your layout similar to the following?
View attachment 3037
It is similar, I measured 56db, very noisy. The NVR is 1.5 mounth old, it was like this since arrived.
Even with the lid open has the same "volume", fan from PSU (power supply unit) is at high RPM all the time.
Evem computer PSU`s has a RPM controller and depending of the load and heat they ask for a high or low RPM.

Is there much height between the top of that small black heat sink on the CPU and the top of the case.
Knowing how amazing PC cooling has advanced over the past decade of so, it's a shame to see these excellent NVR's looking like they have cooling systems designed in the 1980's :(

I've seen the mods to cut a large hole in the case for a 100mm or so silent PC fan and that seems an excellent idea.
I wondered also if a thin profile fan could also be screwed into the fins on top of that heatsink to cool it directly?

I'd happily chop a case around myself, to get air inside the whole unit, Some Noctua perhaps?
But the fan inside the power supply would concern me a bit more.

As a side note, I of course fully understand HikVision are not aiming these devices at people in the typical home.
However, irrespective of that, it still seems strange why their designers would not at least attempt to make them run as quiet as possible.
It's as if they want them to be noisy.

Not that, I would plan on buying one, but I was impressed to see Reolinks new 4K capable NVR does not even require a fan.
The old models did, but the latest ones don't. I presume more modern cooler running internals?

It is a shame, as a quick google brings up this noise issue a lot. Would be nice if they listened.

Hi guys,
Recently I bought a NVR model DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/4S, but it has a terrible noise from PSU, it is always at maximum RPM.
I use only 2 IP port from total of 8, actually is no heavy energy load on PSU. Hikvision customer center has a silent approach for my question.
Never used Hikvision so far, all NVR have this noisy PSU?
Thanks.

Where did you get the DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/4S as it doesn't seem to be stocked in the UK? Is it imported?

Back