01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR-108hm using it as a "network hub"

JohnFol

Hi there, I may be imprecise with terminology but hopefully the ask is clear.

I currently have
Cat5->hub,​
hub-> NVR, NVR -> Cameras​
hub-> NAS,​
hub-> other bits​

It occurs to me the NVR has 8 ports on the back and I just assumed they can only be used for cameras. If it also behaves as a "hub" (using the word loosely) can I eliminate the hub so
I end up with:
Cat5->NVR​
NVR -> Cameras​
NVR-> NAS​
NVR-> other bits​

Many thanks

Hi @johan63

It won't be possible to use the NVR as a "hub" because the Hikvision NVRs use a subnet address range (192.168.254.xxx) which is different to the local network IP range generated by your hub. The subnet addresses are assigned to cameras directly connected to the NVRs PoE ports and once assigned these addresses and connected to the NVR they are no longer individually visible/accessible via these addresses from devices connected to the hub or elsewhere on your local network.

Many thanks Dan, much appreciated and it also answers why I can't directly access the cameras.

Reactions: Dan
Most Hikvision NVRs support a feature called Virtual Host which allows you to log in directly to cameras plugged into the NVR so that you can access camera-specific settings, but I am not sure whether your HiWatch/HiLook NVR also supports this feature.

Back