01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR Advise

Cos

I'm looking for avdvise with regard to a remove NVR installation.

I need to installa NVR at a remote location which can record motion. The problem is that it is unmanned for two/three weeks at a time and there is usually a lot of dubious activity hence needing CCTV in the first place. When the location is visited, there isn't the time to sit down and review the footage so ideally we'd like to be able to take it away with us to review later.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a removable caddy for a NVR as I'm not sure it would work technically due to there momentarily being nothing to record to as the disk is replaced....
Is there such a thing as a NVR with the ability to transfer all motion files to an external hard disk quickly? Transfer over the internet is not an option as there is no broadband available and I'm not sure the cost would be justified?

So, I'm not really sure what I'm after but in summary, I just need to be able to retrieve recorded files quickly somehow to take off site to review.

Anyone have any ideas based on thier experiences with NVRs?

Thanks

Hi @Cos

It's not a traditional CCTV set up so there aren't many options that would work, probably the fastest solution would be a NAS with hot-swappable drive bays, like this model - Synology DiskStation DS416 16TB WD RED 4-Bay NAS Server

It is possible, although it is not something we have ever tested our selves, that you could set your cameras to record to a NAS which can be set up with different recording partitions so you could have 2-3 wees of recording to only HDD1 and then when you visit the location just remove that HDD and have a schedule pre-setup or manually change so the cameras to continue to record to HDD2/3/4/etc...

As I say we have never tried this and are not sure how well it would work, I would recommend contacting Synology or another NAS manufacturer directly to see if it would be possible and if they can recommend the best model for your requirements. Contact Us | Synology Inc.

Thanks for your reply.

I've had Synology kit in the past (not NVR's though) and this certainly looks like an option; an expensive one at that :confused:.

Another though occurred to me today, which was if I could get access via telnet or ssh, I could plug in a RaspberryPi type device in to the network and 'extract' the files...

I already have a Hikvision DS-7604 in another location and I've tried telnet'ting in to see if this is possible but I get a 'connection failed' error.
I'm open to other manufacturers providing I can get access via telnet / ssh or other.

Does this sound like it's possible?

Back