01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR LAN connection

moleman73

Hi All, and thanks in advance of answers.

My setup is non-standard in that I am utilising only a couple of managed POE switches and some powerline adapters to connect my IP camera network. I didn't want multiple Cat6 cables terminating in my spare room to an NVR and thought if I could hide that part of it in the loft I would only need a powerline adapter to connect my IP cam to my router and I could network that way.
Ive managed to connect 3 IP cams in a trial; 2 Cams (5MP and 8MP) on one POE switch and 1 Cam (4MP PZT) on another POE switch and they all (Grey market Hikvision) work on iVMS-4200 (as only one seemingly to work for MAC users). However only one of them has microsd slot (upto 256GB), and I wanted to connect some storage. i.e. NVR or NAS. I might be a bit naive here but most NVR's Ive seen have 4/8/etc POE channels and 1 LAN connection. I actually won't utilise the POE channels as I have managed switches and they will be neatly tucked away with only the PLA for network connection. Can I use the LAN as a means of connecting the NVR to the network or will the NVR not see the incoming channels? If I chose a NAS storage what would I need to be able to access remotely (that would likely be the same for the NVR). Also in reality what limitation to number of cams can be viewed using powerline adapters (devolo dLan 500MPS data even though I know it will be nowhere near that)

ive attached a sketch which might shed some light on my hoped setup

Many thanks

Attachments

• IP CAM NETWORK SKETCH.PDF
    191.7 KB · Views: 333
Hikvision PTZ cameras
You can add a NVR or NAS to your LAN.
It can be configured to manage and record cameras on your LAN (the cameras do not need to be directly connected to the NVR/NAS).
Powerline Adapters work well and are essentially plug & play.
However, they will never be as reliable as a wired network.
At some point (with multiple high-res cameras) your powerline network may cause you issues.
It's not possible to assess at what camera or bandwidth count this may occur - you'll just need to be alert to it as you grow your system.

If you go the NAS route, we would recommend a brand such as Synology and that you use their built-in Surveillance Station solution.
Which will in turn allow you to use their App for it.
You need to be aware that every Synology box is provided with camera licences for just two IP cameras to use that solution.
To add more cameras you will need to buy more licences (at about £40 each).

Therefore, it is very hard to beat the value offered by a Hikvision NVR and their Hik-Connect App.
You are unlikely to find their NVRs for sale in the UK without the POE ports (the cost saving is so small that nobody imports those models).
You can of course use a Hikvision NVR that has POE ports but choose not to connect your cameras to those ports i.e. add your cameras to your LAN via POE switches as you describe.

Phil,

Brilliant. Just what id hoped. Id read about the Synology requiring licenses and thought the NVR route would be best. I will into what is best one for my purpose. I was aware about the bandwidth and apart from getting a 8MP camera for 99% discount (£0.72 to good to knock back) from the seller I was looking to keep them 5MP which is good enough for my purpose and keep the data at decent levels. ive only got to add a couple more and I should be ok. I already use the Hikvision app but dont know if I can remotely view without being on the same network ( i might have configured it wrong i dont know)

thanks again

Back