01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR LiveView Issues

Hi guys, an outline for you.

I have a DS-2CD2142FWD-I which I was using connected to my NAS - all good.

I decided to get an NVR an expand my setup (DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P/A) however things have not gone well!

I cannot get the live view to work from the NAS for the camera despite downloading numerous plugins etc. It's not working on my primary computer (Mac) nor 2 Windows machines (7 & 10) all on various browsers. They just show a dark grey box. The live view seems to work on my iPhone using the iVMS app.

The live view works on my VGA monitor connected to the NVR (although quite a low resolution?) HOWEVER when I go to a setting such motion detection the small preview window is blank.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm a bit lost..!

Hi

Try using other browsers such as Opera and/or Firefox.
I use firefox to view the local view if I am away from the NVR.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys, an outline for you.

I have a DS-2CD2142FWD-I which I was using connected to my NAS - all good.

I decided to get an NVR an expand my setup (DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P/A) however things have not gone well!

I cannot get the live view to work from the NAS for the camera despite downloading numerous plugins etc. It's not working on my primary computer (Mac) nor 2 Windows machines (7 & 10) all on various browsers. They just show a dark grey box. The live view seems to work on my iPhone using the iVMS app.

The live view works on my VGA monitor connected to the NVR (although quite a low resolution?) HOWEVER when I go to a setting such motion detection the small preview window is blank.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm a bit lost..!

Hi this is on multiple browsers including safari, IE & firefox on multiple machines on multiple OSs

Forgive me if you've already done so as you mentioned downloading numerous plugins, but just double-check that you've downloaded and installed the Mac OSX plugin for Hikvision cameras as Safari doesn't automatically prompt you to do so.

You can grab it from Hikvision's European download portal.

Firefox, Safari or Internet Explorer (NOT Microsoft Edge which is default on Win10) are all compatible at the moment.

The fact that it's working on your phone but limited elsewhere indicates the substream is working but there may be a problem with your mainstream perhaps.

When connecting via a monitor connected locally to your NVR, can you just confirm that you're able to view both the substream and mainstream of your camera?

Try also reducing the mainstream resolution of the camera and then testing whether you're able to view it via one of the above browsers.

Hi Kieran, sorry for the basic question but how do I know which "stream" I'm watching/how to change?

Right managed it, yes seems to be something to do with the streams, sub stream displays video but the main stream doesn't. (This is on safari on my mac).

I've just gone on to the NVR to adjust some settings and the camera is working fine on the main stream?!

An eventful evening by the sounds of it - hopefully it didn't give you too many headaches!

It's good that the camera's main stream is visible when connecting via a monitor to the NVR. Just double-check your playback footage and verify that it's recording fine, and if so then it narrows the problem down a lot.

Please forgive me in advance if you've done the below steps already - I expect you might have and I don't intend to patronise you of course, but I need to be absolutely sure that you've done so.

The two most likely potential issues here are an issue with your network or an issue with the required plugin. For simplicity's sake, I'd ask you to use a Windows PC running Firefox for the time being.

• Please uninstall the Web Components plugin. You can do so from a Windows PC by navigating to the Add or Remove Programs area within the Control Panel (or by entering it into the Windows Search / Run bar). The plugin will be named Web Components in the list. Make sure you close any browsers when doing so.
  • Open Firefox and connect to your NVRs IP address. You will be prompted to download and install the plugin again. Ensure you close the browser when installing it. Once done, reconnect to your NVR and ensure you allow Firefox to run the plugin when prompted.
  • Refresh the page after allowing the plugin to run
  • The NVR by default will try and display any connected camera's main stream resolution. Just verify that the connected camera is set to play in the live view of your NVR by clicking on an unoccupied live view window and then clicking on the icon to the left of your camera's name, likely Camera 01 (a green indicator will show it's active).
  • Usually, the camera will display immediately. If not, leave it for a while and see if it ever displays. Check whether the issue is present with the Sub Stream.

• If no image appears, for troubleshooting purposes please navigate to Configuration > Video / Audio and select your camera from the dropdown menu. Reduce the resolution to 1280 x 720, the video quality to Medium, the frame rate to 10, the Max Bitrate to 4096Kbps and lastly just ensure that H.264+ is OFF.
  • Check the Live View again and verify whether you get an image

Hi Kieran, thanks for that.

FYI I've plugged in a second camera of the same model to compare what happens, both of these cameras should be fully reset and on factory settings.

Upon reinstalling the web components and then refreshing the page both cameras were listed as Main Stream. Camera 1 (the installed camera) was a blank grey box, Camera 2 (spare) was showing live footage.

I then changed the Main Stream settings for Camera 1 as you've mentioned and now have a live image.

That's good - it narrows things down a lot. It sounds like a network issue.

If you can, run a ping command to the camera and just check the latency.

I'd also check the cable you've connected the camera with and if possible try another known-functional cable instead. If the camera is connected to a POE port on the NVR or a POE switch, also try connecting it to another functional port too.

You can start to increase the camera's video quality settings again. Just keep an eye on when the latency becomes too high or the camera drops frames until you've got the larger problem resolved.

Thanks Kieran, I'll take a look.

I can't directly ping the camera from this computer as they're all connected to the POE ports on the NVR. If I ping the NVR from the laptop (wireless) it's around 4ms.

Like I said when the camera was acting on its own and recording to my NAS I had no problems with the live view with all settings on their highest quality etc. It's only since adding the NVR.

Hi Kieran, I've found something whilst playing which may help.

Enabling the virtual host function has allowed me to connect to each camera seperately. When I do this the live view for that camera with all settings on max works abolutely fine. If I then view the camera in the NVR live view it's the blank grey box.

Any thoughts on that? Surely it's not the internal network as I can view the live stream on the camera if I connect directly (although through the NVR virtual host).

I've noticed some of the recordings have a bit of stutter/jittery video so I guess I'll try dialing down the frame/quality till it settles.

Shame really, I didn't expect to have to do this as everything was fine before I introduced the NVR to the mix. I'm assuming there isn't an obvious reason why the DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P wouldn't work well with the DS-2CD2142FWD-I cameras?!

Not that I'm aware of I'm afraid, many of our customers run that exact setup without issue so it's an unusual one.

Out of interest, is the camera still connected to your NAS too? It might be worth unmounting it for the time being.

I'd also suggest you try factory resetting your NVR if possible, just to rule out any possible configuration issue or conflicts that have arisen after updating your devices firmware.

Hi,

No, no connection to the NAS, both the NVR and Cameras have had a factory reset a couple of times in this process!

Hi Rainbowshooter,

Did you ever get a resolution to this issue?

Hi Carcus,

Not really, well, not on the web liveview anyway. I just use my iOS devices to view the cameras now and make any changes locally on the NVR with a mouse and monitor. To be honest I haven't really looked back at this since the summer when I made the thread, maybe something for me to view this month!

Are you having the same problems?

Back