01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

NVR or NAS?

RogerJP

First post so a little background; for those in a hurry the question is in the title!

I have a modicum of experience of IP cameras being an early adopter. My present system comprises a few out-post cameras mostly wired (but a few wireless) to local routers/access points, that all link back to the house (ISP-supplied) modem. For alarm storage, some cameras have SD cards, while others FTP to a WD NAS that also plugs in to the ISP-supplied modem. None of my present cameras is more than 2M Pixels or of greater compression than H.264. I typically "look in" via either Wansview, Foscam or Tiny-IP camera Apps to see that all is well in the outbuildings. By using a DNS (duckdns.org) and ensuring each is on a separate unique port set for HTTP, SSP, ONVIF etc), I am also able to share some of these cameras selectively with friends and family.

We are soon to move in to next door, with a whole new set of cameras (to be purchased, almost certainly 8M pixel turrets); we will relinquish those installed on the present property to new owners, but those in outbuildings, predominantly Wansview and Foscam, will remain ours (and yes as they get flakey I will upgrade to better ones).

The NAS I have - umpty Terabytes, WD with four "red" drives in configured RAID5, not more than a year old, was acquired for photo, document, music and video storage, and house distribution thereof - and it does it nicely. However, I am also successfully using it as alarm storage for the present camera suite, which I started doing by creating an entirely separate devoted FTP server within the NAS (but using the same red drives of course) when the ISP changed my router to one which no longer supported an FTP-added USB drive.

And so to my questions:

1) Should I continue this practice by acquiring a multi-port switch serving all cameras and the NAS with a single down-link to the ISP-provided router), or should I add an NVR to collate the cameras (obviously with its own alarm/footage recording) with a downlink to the ISP-supplied router, leaving the NAS wired to the ISP-supplied router? I should add that, whilst I shall be 100-base T ready all over the property and out buildings, my main link to the WWW is only about 1.5MBps thanks to our rural location!

2) - Applicable if I get an NVR: Will I still be able to share ad hoc some of my cameras with friends and family as I do at present, and if not, will I be able to do so from my NVR selectively over IP - different for different friends as I do at present? I will have no problems getting the relevant folk to download new apps if required.

With thanks for any advice.

If you are happy with the NAS, continue with the NAS.

It will be challenging to select an NVR that is compatible with your mix of cameras and allows you to do all that you wish.

Thanks Phil. I don't (yet!!) do continuous recording over IP (a few do to SD and that I propose to extend to the new cameras) - and a switch with a few PoE holes will certainly save a few bob - and I can always change at a later date. Will seek out a switch. Expect an order for a handful of 8MP cameras in the coming weeks.

Back