01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

ONVIF profile T

mkerton

Hi Dan or Phil. Could you point me in the direction of PoE ONVIF Profile T cameras? Turrets and PTZ would be great

Hi @mkerton

You can check which models are ONVIF compliant and which profiles they support at the ONVIF website

Some example products which are Profile T compliant include:

Vivotek IT9389-H 5MP Turret Dome Camera
Vivotek IT9389-HT 5MP Varifocal Turret Dome Camera

Wisenet XNP-6040H 2MP Outdoor PTZ Dome Camera
Wisenet XNP-6120H 2MP HD Outdoor PTZ Dome Camera

Geovision GV-EBD4700 4MP Eyeball Camera
Geovision GV-EBD8711 8MP Eyeball IP Dome Camera

This is only a handful and there are more models from all these brands which you can check on the ONVIF Conformant List.

Thanks Dan,

I was hoping you could come up with a few cams you supply. No disapointment there.

Cheers

Michael

Reactions: Dan
Dan,

I hope this thread is ok for my next question :) I'm at a crossroads. Go for Security Spy/Mac, or just stick with Hik NVR I series and buy a Wintel mini SOC computer and hang some WD purples off it (separately powered of course). It seems to me that Hik make great gear, but software may be a bit flakey. Vs SS, who are focussed on quality video surveillance and write excellent code.

Best regards

Michael

Hi @mkerton

The choice really is dependent on the size of the system, if it is a small system (4 cameras or less) then we would recommend Security Spy as it can be set up for continuous recording but as it has to record to either the Mac's HDD or an external USB drive, more than 4 cameras will use too much storage for Security Spy to be a practical option.

If the system is 5 or more cameras then we would recommend an NVR with Western Digital Purple HDDs installed (the HDDs do not need to be connected to a PC as you describe) and then either accessed with a direct HDMI monitor or a Mini PC.

Dan,

Ok, back to square one. I thought that a Hik NVR had to be connected to a PC via IE/ActiveX to configure cams and have direct access to settings/troubleshooting. That is why I have been struggling to find a solution. HDMI monitor is simple I'm a Mac man and don't have a PC. Yes, my system will end up as 8 - 10 cams, but not right away.

Really appreciate your help.

Michael

Most settings/features of the cameras can be accessed in the NVR menus via a direct monitor, there may be some features that are camera specific but with the EasyIP 3.0 cameras (2xx5FWD/2xx5G1) and EasyIP 4.0 cameras (2xx6G1/2xx6G2/2xx7G1/2xx7G2) you can get access to the majority of the camera settings with a modern browser like Chrome on a Mac. So a combination of direct monitor & Mac browser access with those new cameras should work fine.

Dan,

Thank you so much for the reassurances. I have been pulling on my hair for a couple of weeks trying to sort a solution based on previous belief that a PC hooked up to an NVR was necessary. Maybe expletives are not appropriate so ***king hek! OK, can I assume the Hik I series 16 channel NVR are better supported by Hik? Hang about-My needs are for 10 maybe 12 cams all duplex audio over PoE. A couple of which PTZ. Remote access via approved agents. Is Hik the way to go?

Once I am back on track, I'll put the spec together and pass it by you if that's ok. Of course, I shall take full responsibility for this install, but a heads-up from you would be most appreciated.

Regards

Michael

The confusion & frustration is understandable, we are just as frustrated with Hikvision for the browser/system access issues which they are being very slow to fix.

Yes, we would recommend an I-series NVR as they are the most up-to-date model and will offer better support for future camera models. You can see a comparison of the I-series models by reading our Best 16-channel NVR forum post. One of the main differences between the 7616 and 7716 I-series models is that the 76 supports 2 HDDs and the 77 supports 4 HDDs, so depending on your choice of cameras (if all 10/12 are 6/8MP) you may need to consider the model with more HDD capacity. Western Digital have a Capacity Estimator to help you calculate the storage you will need for your system.

Dan,

I'm glad I'm not on my own re Hik browser/system access issues and their slow response. Chinese thing really-they make things work and that's it. So my worries are founded on reality, but you seem to be sticking to the concept that most of the time the problem is irrelevent. This whole episode has shaken my confidence. I'll be ok once I fully grasp the connotations. Caveats are a real pain. Customers expect all bells and whistles and manufacturers expect max profit!

1. Do you have a list of the things that cannot be dealt with without a PC and ActiveX?

2. Do you still agree that Hik kit is still the way to go?

I. really appreciate your support through this difficult part of my journey.

In answer to your questions:

1) We do not have a full list as some models have more or less features/menus missing depending on the features those models support, but key missing things that appear to be universal for all Hikvision devices access with a browser on a Mac are the NVR local menu which let's adjust the settings for the browser live view and set were footage/captures taken from the browser are downloaded to. Also, the playback & picture menus are usually missing.

This is why I suggest a combination of direct monitor and Mac browser access because the direct monitor will give you full access to the live view, normal & event playback, download footage to USB storage, and everything else in regard to managing recording/storage, whilst the browser access will allow you direct access to the individual image & event settings and allow you to update camera firmware.

2) We would still recommend Hikvision, it has its problems and it can be difficult to work with sometimes, but it is still the most cost-effective solution in regards to a camera & NVR system. There are a few brands out there with better support for modern browsers (AXIS, Samsung Wisenet) but these brands either do not offer NVR solutions or an NVR system from them costs double or more than double that of an equivalent system from Hikvision.

A brand we have been monitoring closely the last couple of months is Vivotek, they have been around for years but they have always cost more and not offered as much as brands Hikvision. Now though their range is developing with new advanced smart features (see our forum post throughout last year about some of these advanced features) and they are also developing a solid modern browser access solution that should work across the majority of their product range before the end of this year. (the ND9424P-V2 is their equivalent 16-channel NVR and you can see more details about the supported features on their website product page)

(Also, I hadn't thought about your requirements for ONVIF Profile T which further makes Vivotek a good option as they have several Profile-T compliant cameras in their range.)

Dan,

I have looked at Vivotek and they are very expensive, not sure the budget would stretch that far. But you never know. I have made a list and started assigning numbers only to find USE-IP don't stock that particular model. Is there someone there who could go over my list and price the material up based on my description? Perhaps email it to sales.

As it's Friday, I'll leave it until Monday in any event. Anyhow, have a great weekend.

Regardfs

Michael

Hi @mkerton

Yes, if you send us a list of the items & quantities you are after we can check availability and give you a quote. Please send this to info@use-ip.co.uk

Back