01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Planned upgrade + confusion with 'old' camera firmware (DS-2CD2432F-IW)

ApoAlaia

Hi beautiful people,

After 'tidying up' all the rest of my infrastructure at home I am looking at upgrading the cameras in the flat while reusing the current cameras - if possible - in the basement.

Where I say 'if possible' is because my current cameras are now deprecated (DS-2CD2432F-IW) and I am thoroughly confused about the firmware version.

There is a sticky thread about a firmware vulnerability on Hikvision cameras and although I wasn't overly concerned - you need to connect through my VPN to access the cameras and if someone has the capability to hack through that hurdle (and indeed can be arsed to hack through the hurdle) accessing the cameras, vulnerable or not, would be a doodle for that individual/entity - however now that everything is tight and to my taste I am starting to feel uneasy about the whole thing.

However I have no idea which one is the latest firmware (there are two possibilities, in one the major version is higher, in the other the build date is higher, because why make things clear right?) and whether either of those patch the vulnerability. In fact I don't even know if the vulnerability is across the board or only affects certain models/generations.

Either way, that is part Juan.

Part two is is the upgrade, what I have in mind - given that I am quite happy with how these cameras have performed - is the following:

2 x DS-2CD2455FWD-IW
1 x DS-7604NI-K1-4P(B) + 10TB WD Purple

Reason why I include a NVR is because my VSAN has gone the way of the dodo. Everything that is worth keeping is now stored in the cloud - so the mossad can have a peek into my hum drum existence if they feel that way inclined.

The main function will be the same as before, keep an eye on the flat just in case an upstanding citizen decides to let himself/herself in and as a good and friendly neighbour would do 'clean the place', something equally untoward takes place, a good natured leprechaun leaves me a pot of gold and I can immediately hand my notice in and head for the nearest airport, or like the fella that let himself in my basement wearing only a pj bottom to have a rummage looking for who knows what ... in January... in the middle of the night. If he was looking for drugs he was SoL, I took them all in my youth.

Either way, after all this rambling, the sort of tl;dr would be:

- Should I reuse the existing cameras in the basement or keeping deprecated hardware live is asking for grief?
- Which one is the latest firmware, IPC_R0_EN_STD_V5.4.5_Build170123 or IPC_R0_EN_STD_V5.4.41_Build170312 and do those 'fix' the vulnerability or there wasn't one to start with?
- Does my choice for the describe scenario look OK or I could do better at more or less the same price point?

Thanks for making it this far, even more thanks for any informative replies.

Last edited:
- Should I reuse the existing cameras in the basement or keeping deprecated hardware live is asking for grief?
- Which one is the latest firmware, IPC_R0_EN_STD_V5.4.5_Build170123 or IPC_R0_EN_STD_V5.4.41_Build170312 and do those 'fix' the vulnerability or there wasn't one to start with?
- Does my choice for the describe scenario look OK or I could do better at more or less the same price point?

1) We would recommend upgrading to the latest cameras if you are happy too because the cameras you are currently on will no longer receive new feature updates and will only get security updates in the future.

2) Version number always comes first, so v5.4.5 is newer than v5.4.41, and build number only comes into the equation if both firmwares are the same version number.

3) Your choices seem fine, I wouldn't be able to recommend anything massively better. The only thing I would mention is the 10TB HDD, this is a very large HDD for 2 x 5MP cameras and even with 4 x 5MP cameras (which is the max number of cams that NVR supports) you would have 45-50 days of recording for each camera with a 10TB drive and that is with each camera set to the lowest level of compression, if you are happy to spend the money then that is fine but we usually go by the rule that you don't really need much more than the 1TB per camera. So 4-6TB to future proof against a fully loaded 4-channel NVR will be more than enough.

Back